1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

YouTube channels and videos about film

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Feb 20, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Another awesome one I watched tonight. I honestly can't believe people put so much effort into these "video essays" but I'm glad they do.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Two more excellent videos CJ!

CJ likes this.
  3. CJ

4. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

CJ, For some people, putting these things on YouTube is actually their lively-hood/career. Crazy, right(?)

5. CJ

Not with a couple hundred thousand views on a video every 2 months. People making a living are getting 5 million views a week.

6. Barry_NJ

I don't know, I was looking at Nerd Writer, and most of his videos have between 500K and 1M views, and he'd mentioned that video production for his channel is his full time gig(?)

7. CJ

1M views is $1,000 to $1,500 depending on many factors and what sources you use. A quick glance Nerdwriter's feed would indicate he's pulling in maybe $2,000 to $3,500 per month. The low end would definitely put him in starving artist camp.

8. Barry_NJ

I wonder what he pulls in via The Nerdwriter is creating video essays | Patreon ?

9. CJ

I wonder if he still lives in SF? The freeloader effect is powerful (I know, I'm an avid, non-contributing listener of public radio) so you have to REALLY like something to fork over cash.

EDIT: It says right on his Patreon. $3000 per video. So yeah, he's probably making high 5 figures between Patreon and YouTube ads.

EDIT 2: Clicking through some of the top Patreon creators, its interesting to see how things scale. Your best bet would be to create something that can be sustained by yourself. Because e.g. one creator is pulling in over $30k per month, but in their description they talk about their growth, they talk about having 11 full time people. $30k sounds like a lot, but not divided 11 ways.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Barry_NJ likes this.
  10. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

CJ: Great links; I've watched a ton of these already but there are some new (to me) ones that I will definitely check out!
    Another recommendation for RLM, specifically their "reviews" of the Star Wars prequels by the fictional character "Mr. Plinkett". An acquired taste, but in between the crass jokes and disturbing serial killer imagery, is an amazing dissection of "what went wrong" with the prequels compared to the original SW films and many other successful genre flicks.

CJ likes this.
  11. CJ

I'll have to check it out!

12. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

CJ another one that I've been watching that I find fascinating. It's not about film, itself, but about the dialects used by actors in the films:

13. CJ

The "Every Frame a Painting" guy, who I love, has stopped making his own video essays and is now working with Critereon.

14. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

interesting posts....thanks