1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Xenforo Migration Thread

Discussion in 'Forum Software Tips and Tricks' started by CJ, Feb 10, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I won't go into too much detail about why I moved off of vBulletin. The short answer is vBulletin 4 was getting old. There was no immediate sunset announced but they a not going to support it forever, especially when vBulletin 5 has been out for years.

After trying vBulletin 5 for five days it was clear it wasn't going to work long term. At that point I had to roll-back to vBulletin 4 and lose five days of posts. I had researched Xenforo before upgrading to vBulletin 5 so I decided to just rip the bandaid off and migrate. Apologies for the whiplash but we should be stable for a good while now.

Xenforo is a newer forum app. It is much faster than vBulletin and it was written from scratch more recently so the code is not a spaghetti mess.

Post any questions or issues you have in this thread.

2. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

Is the X silent or pronounced like a Z? ;)

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

From your reading what's the preferred mobile app?

4. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

So far it's working well for me (much better than VB5)

The New Posts works exactly as the old VB4 did. Need to subscribe to a few threads and see how email notifications work. The mobile web version is better than VB5s was as well. Overall I like it enough that I'm thinking of looking at moving a forum I administer (for my homebrew club) to it because we're using an Out Of Service version of phpbb and it kinda sucks.

How are the admin tools? Can you send emails out to members of different groups, setup different members to groups with titles (I see @Mike has Bon Vivant, etc) and that sort of thing?

5. Bent

Bent Active Member War Zone Member

corp firewall prevented me from posting to VB, this one...

6. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

It works REALLY well with a mobile browser in my experience.
    The email notifications are WAY better. The formatting of the emails is really nice. The admin panel is a bit of a learning curve but it is really useful. Yes, I can do custom titles and yes, @Chris Smith you can tag people.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Seriously? Weird. I would think they would be blocking at the IP level. So you can get to this one is what you're saying.

8. Bent

I can reply on this one.
    previously, I could start a thread on VB, but our security software gave me a "forbidden" message when I tried to reply in a thread.

I can do either hear (at the moment)

9. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I think you might have a DNS or configuration issue:

hometheaterlounge.com works
    www.hometheaterlounge.com doesn't and shows like an index of files on the webserver

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Its not DNS, I've been struggling with .htaccess all damn day. And its a bitch trying to fix when your browser cache won't clear and you don't know if you fixed it or not.

11. Bent

right now, the rest of the forum is missing... I can only find this thread by using my browser history

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Clear your browser history.

13. Bent

Nope, didn't work
    Google chorme

14. Bent

Nvrmnd - corp security software again, it works fine with iphone

15. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Crap man... It's working for two different browsers for me. Can you try your mobile quick?

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Mmmm, I changed a couple things too, for SEO. Don't be surprised if it works again later. But it could be your security software.

17. Bent

Im here through corp server with explorer on this reply.

18. Bent

Im here through corp server with chrome on this reply.

19. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, your other browser has a cookie or cache issue then.

20. Bent

however, I can't get back to the home page from this thread on Chrome via corp service.
    I'll try tonight from home.