1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Weekend shots

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Chris Slade, May 8, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I took about 350 shots on the weekend, the light was the best so far. I deleted half of them as soon as I looked at them on the computer.

I'll try and post a couple on dropbox for anyone who is will to help do an edit and then I can compare my edit to those.

At one point I was standing next to a woman with a Nikon SLR. I forgot what that click click click sounded like when she was firing off a bunch of shots in a row. Either the camera can't do that or I don't know how to get the camera to rattle off a ton of frames quickly. Am I missing something or is there a setting I can use? She was just hand holding and firing away.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Your camera will do nearly 10 fps, you just need to find the setting. Check the manual under shooting modes. You definitely need to be using that. You'll get much sharper shots as, in a burst of 5-10 shots one will often be sharper by luck.

3. Chris Slade

Yeap I need to look that up. Camera only came with a CD with the manual on it....l.I don't even have a computer with a disk drive at home. Most info is available online. I guess I should just find the manual and print it.

4. Chris Slade

found it. Damn 184 pages.

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Olympus cameras are a double edged sword. TONS of features.... tons of features.

6. Chris Slade

It is printed and in a binder looks like it can do 10fps

7. Chris Slade

Must need a pretty fast card

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

It can buffer around 25 shots minimum. How fast that buffer fills up is card speed related.

9. Chris Slade

I doubt I'll hit that buffer limit often if ever. Never had a second yesterday or last night to touch the camera. Hopefully tonight.

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I never do. In fact I don't use the high speed burst but I do use the low speed for the reason I cited. Helps get at least one sharp shot in low light.

11. Chris Slade

I am glad I found out about this (and printed the manual) as this really seemed like a short coming of the camera body. Glad that is not the case.

12. Chris Slade

Got the camera rapid firing last night.... that should be more than adequate. I set the camera up a little differently so the super LV control panel (or something like that) is visible on the rear screen when shooting using the electronic view finder, which is how I was already shooting. I would assume this will reduce battery life, but I don't think that is really going to be an issue for me. If it is I'll pick up a second battery, not upset about that. I think this will really help for hockey shooting.
    Hoping to have time tonight to try a few edits as discussed.

CJ likes this.
  13. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

OK, here's what I did

1) White balance - I use the eye dropper and selected the ice.
    2) They're all under exposed so I corrected the exposure by eye. This isn't a huge problem with the Olympus. There is a term that I'm blanking on now but some digital cameras are ISO "agnostic" (that's not the right term) which means there is no noise difference between 1/100 @ ISO 400 and 1/200 @ ISO 800. So you don't have to be bang on exposure. Olympus cameras technically aren't ISO neutral like this but they're like 90% so.
    3) Once I got the non white areas like the uniforms exposed right I felt the highlights were starting to blow out details so I brought down the highlights slider significantly. You should see some detail in the ice, not solid white.
    4) Up the clarity. It is a fantastic control for sports shots. It's like gritty contrast. It is antithetical to portraits but it works great on sports and wabi-sabi still life shots.
    5) Upping the vibrancy helps the jersey color without everything else getting too crazy.
    6) Notably I didn't touch sharpening. Clarity provides an impression of sharpening so I rarely use sharpening when applying clarity.
    7) You could play with selective saturation (a VERY little). This is done in the HSL panel by clicking on the saturation tab and then using the bullseye tool to select the color you want to edit.

General comments. Photo #1 is just not that sharp which is kind of surprising since it is at 1/1000. I think you should be able to freeze motion below that speed so it might have been a tecnique thing. "Jabbing the shutter" instead of rolling it. Either way, shooting in burst mode should help here.

I wouldn't try to do noise reduction. The level of noise in these photos is fine IMO and usable up to 8x10 for prints. When I have noisy photos, depending on the subject I'll do noise reduction, which will result in some loss of detail and then convert to black and white and add noise in post. The noise you add in lightroom looks more like film grain than the sensor noise IMO.

As described in the steps above.
    Dooley cellie.jpg

Hollet misses.jpg

A "fun" edit, playing with the tone curve.

Dooley cellie-3.jpg Hollet misses-3.jpg

B&W

Dooley cellie-2.jpg Hollet misses-2.jpg

14. Rick

Rick Member

Your camera will do it depending on the speed of your card. Class 10 should do it, especially if your DSLR shoots HD video. The extreme 3 cards by Sandisk go up to 30Mb/sec for really fast shooting speeds.

15. Chris Slade

Rink lighting was really poor this weekend. I took very few shots, doubt there will be many keepers.

16. Chris Slade

There were not decent shots for me to even try and work with. I kind of knew that when I was shooting. My positioning in the rink was different, lighting was poor, glass was dirty. It was just a bit too much for me to over come at this point.