Tom Petty, sigh.. RIP

Discussion in 'Music' started by chad, Oct 2, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Wrong band, but twisting a Cheap Trick lyric: "He's not the first, won't be the last" :)

DustinDavis likes this.
  2. nolan

nolan Member

He was so young still. Rest in peace, legend.

3. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

4. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I liked Petty from the beginning. Good stuff, own style, and had something to say.

Classic rock station is playing a lot.

Big loss.

"The vampires move west down Ventura Boulevard" always made me smile.

5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

As the plane begins its descent into L.A., Petty turns to me and adds, "Sometimes I feel really gracious. Everything is really good, the world is so wonderful. It doesn't last very long. I'm always pissed off at something again. It's the best position for observing. You see all these groups get to the top, get too content and then blow it with bad music." He gulps down the last of his coffee. "Our intention is to stay pissed off."

Interesting early career interview.

Evidently he had some demons.

6. Denton

7. Carl V

thanks will do.
    I was aware of the Eagles Connection.
    It would be interesting if there were an
    Equivalent Venn Diagram for Rock-n-Roll

8. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

So, once again, when a celebrity and especially a Rock Star dies from drugs it is "accidental". I'm sorry Tom was fucked up and leaned too far over his edge, but it doesn't help the ongoing crisis if the media plays these tragedies as something other than what they really are, drug abuse and overdoses. I don't care if he had a broken hip. He was sporting a deadly cocktail of drugs that probably dates back to 1984.

We're all big boys and girls now, especially if we are old enough to have grown up idolizing Mr. Petty, so we should also be mature enough to be told unlike crying children that he fucked up, just like Prince, just like Michael Jackson, just like Heath Ledger, just like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, just like Whitney Houston, just like Amy Winehouse, and on and on and on.

I apologize for this rant to those of you that are still mourning Toms death. For me, I stopped feeling bad and started getting angry for dead celebrities all the way back to the day John Belushi died.

Jack Keck and DYohn like this.
  9. DYohn

Rolling Stone article says the overdose was all prescription drugs, and he had done 53 shows with a broken hip and emphysema and was apparently trying to deal with massive pain issues. He will be discussing this with Prince in the next world.

10. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

We know that the "it was all prescription drugs" line is a blurry one, though. I'm not pointing the finger at Tom as an "abuser" or "druggie" or whatever characterization I can imagine my parents might have thrown out when I was a kid. Makes me sad more than angry. Tom is a part of the problem but I try to empathize with his pain. Doctors and the system and the ways a person gets easy access to drugs that probably a) oughtn't be prescribed or b) oughtn't be prescribed as much or c) usage should be more closely monitored or restricted are also a part of the problem. Might not be the same in Tom's situation if he had a good doctor and just did the wrong things with the drugs he had on hand. Then there are cases like Michael Jackson...crooked doctor not doing the right thing for his patient.

11. DYohn

TP was an addict, a former heroin and cocaine abuser, so putting things like fentanyl and oxy in his hands was fucking stupid. You know, if the US health care system had good strategies for managing pain, better than just throwing more drugs at people and trusting that they will use them correctly, that would be nice,.

Jack Keck and Mikael Soderholm like this.
  12. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

The correct strategy would be to not tour until your broken hip is fully mended.

I dunno. People will do what they want to do regardless. Not to mention that artists brains are wired differently. The same gift that inspires the genius also impairs good judgement me thinks.

Angry? No. I can't be angry over this or any artist's OD. I am sad and I wonder about the "whys", but there most be something going on as we have lost a lot of rock & rollers to that common end.

Mikael Soderholm and DYohn like this.
  13. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Perhaps "angry" is too strong a term for some like TP, who fucked up more than partied too hard. My frustration is directed more towards the Splash-Header" use of the term "Accidental', which I think attempts to deflect responsibility. Unless it's a suicide all OD's are "accidental", aren't they?

Jack Keck and DYohn like this.
  14. Carl V

wasn't it Ted Nuggent who said _______ it wasn't an accidental Over dose it was suicide/homicide.
    Ted has always been outspoken & harsh. "he killed himself"

and as David points out....a former addict & abuser should never have been given carte Blanche Drugs.
    Sorta like not giving a recovering Alcoholic, wine to help him sleep or Cough Medicine with Codeine.

DYohn likes this.
  15. Denton

It has not been an accident that I have not commented directly on Petty's death previously. I noted he seemed to drag one leg a bit when I attended his WPB show in 2017. Understand that I am within a year of Petty's age and we geezers recognize the signs of physical pathology. Whether we call this an "accidental overdose" or suicide or sacrificing his body for the fans, the band and their families, as well as Petty's family matters little to me. I understand that concept. I'll miss the live shows and the new tunes. I harbor no resentment or judgment.

That said, there are questions I would like answered. I am concerned that there will be others. Rumors are swirling around Dolores O'Riordan's death and fentanyl. We all know about Prince, and some of us have seen this problem in friends and acquaintances. The report on Petty mentions acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl. These substances suggest the possibility of street sources to me as I don't think they are metabolites of fentanyl. (Please tell me I'm wrong).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    DYohn likes this.
  16. Carl V

Sounds like street sources. And from what a few DEA aquantances have said , the deaths in the last year are not solely from Rx OxyContin.

17. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

18. DYohn

Humans seek pleasure.

19. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

For many it is a avoidance of displeasure. Self-medicating to treat symptoms of a deeper issue.

Denton and DYohn like this.
  20. Denton

Characteristics of very addictive drugs include fast onset and a short period of effect. Cocaine, Xanax, heroin & fentanyl fall into this pattern. Fentanyl is showing up in street heroin with increasing frequency and in greater amounts.