Tidal is dying

Discussion in 'Music' started by DYohn, Dec 13, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member Top Poster

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe Apple will swoop in and buy that hi-res goodness and dish it up to a real consumer base. The latent conservative in my chuckles a little at these artists who were too good for Apple or Spotify failing though. You can't run a business solely on disdain for your primary competitor, especially when they're a behemoth.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    DYohn likes this.
  3. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I guess I was wrong considering the premium price they have set, plus the "Audiophile" community who've embraced the service. I knew it was small but.... and then there's that "MQA" thingy..But I also had Apple in mind coming to the rescue.

DYohn likes this.
  4. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

I didn't quite see customers in that list of stakeholders, and maybe that's just why.

I don't mind paying for music, I still buy CDs and blu-rays, I have thousands of them, just like vinyl (and previously, VHS, which I've sold), I have paid many times for my favorites on vinyl, VHS, DVD and other media, so it's not that, but maybe just once, artists and companies should stop and think about who pays for their lunches, yachts, lifestyle and other things.

Artists and record companies are complaining about falling revenues as I buy the superdeluxe edition of an album I've owned on vinyl, CD, SACD and blu-ray audio, while going to the reunion show, buying the t-shirt and other merch?

Things change, deal with it. How about a surcharge on your next PC to pay for out-of.work Notes programmers, or on your next phone, to support Nokia?

Sorry for the rant, but record companies and artists not realizing who makes them what they are really rub me the wrong way.

DYohn likes this.
  5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

That's kind of what I was getting at. I felt the same about Pono. Stop trying to beat Apple, Google and Amazon at this, you're not going to. I'm not signing up for yet another service. I've pretty much picked one service per category and I'm not doing another at this point. Netflix for TV and movies, Apple Music for streaming music. If Apple offered a Netflix like model I'd probably jump ship because it would be integrated into their ecosystem. I'm not doing Hulu and Spotify on top of what I already have and by trying to divvy up content you're just pissing me off.

I REALLY wish Apple would support high resolution. Maybe the customer base is just too small and Pono and Tidal are proof of that.

DYohn likes this.
  6. DYohn

Pono killed itself by thinking it was "so damn cool" that everyone would instantly realize just how cool it was and jump on board because it was cool. Their business model relied on that. So when people realized it really wasn't so cool, they had no way to support their business and boom, gone like the wind.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  7. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Only it wasn't. It was a proprietary player despite the fact that there were numerous FLAC compatible players already out there that could play Neil's stoned mumblings in hi rez, should anyone want to ;)
    All you need to know about Neil and tech was clearly (or maybe not) explained in his (unedited) book, with his grand plan about electric cars and whatnot.
    Man, stick to guitar playing, puh-leeze!

DYohn likes this.
  8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I actually remember thinking the hype machine was insane on that thing. He recorded videos of musicians reacting to Pono tracks like they'd never heard their own songs (or even music) before. To me it was laughable, like 90% of those guys aren't mostly deaf.

DYohn and Jay Brown like this.
  9. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Predictions about the demise of Tidal has been rumoured for years and it still keeps hanging in. The latest story is nothing new. I've been a subscriber for 3 or 4 years and, combined with Roon, it has been great. At $20 a month, it's one of the best deals out there. Alas, I can't see all of these streaming companies surviving and it sure seems that Tidal is the runt of the litter, so to speak. For purely selfish reasons, I hope it survives but won't be surprised if the rumours of its demise eventually come true.

10. RJ

RJ Member War Zone Member

I didn't care about PONO as a trendy thing, but I did like their store which allowed me (a physical media free guy) to buy full FLAC albums, which is ultimately what I want.
    I currently use Spotify for their "hi-rez" stream, which is basically 320 mp3.

If one of the big hitters would either offer hi-rez streams, or uncompressed album purchases, I'd be all over that
    I also want full blu-ray download of movies, but I might as well be asking for the land title of the entire continent of Africa.

11. DYohn

Not to beat Pono into the ground, but I supported it because I thought it was an interesting idea and I wanted it to get off the ground. The hype, however, was palpably over the top. In any case, the player sounded good but not that good with too short battery life and a form factor and controls that were bizarre and awkward, the software was just JRiver and I didn't need Pono to use that, the music store was overpriced with poor selection (HD Tracks was better) and hard to use, and product support was non-existent. As I predicted when I first supported their Kickstarter campaign, the Pono player would either be a game changer or it would become a conversation piece. It's the latter.

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I am glad people are willing to take risks and pursue passion projects, but you need to produce a product that consumers want, not what YOU want.

Jack Keck, Mikael Soderholm and DYohn like this.