1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Those who have moved away from physical discs...

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Blake, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Blake

Blake Member War Zone Member

What are you doing for storage and access. I'll probably end up with 3-5 clients around the house. Remote access is not an issue nor is it ever going to be.

I have a mixture of itunes movies (both redeemed and purchased) and ripped DVD/BluRay. I have a QNAP TVS-871 (i7) loaded up with 6TB HD in RAID-6 (36TB usable). This is used for all of the ripped movies, the itunes movie downloads, music and photos. I'll need more space soon, but that's a horse of a different color.

My question is how to get these two systems to work together to have a cohesive media list.

Is option #2 below the best option? I can run itunes server natively on the NAS. I have all enterprise gig switches and hardwired ethernet connections at my house, benefit of older work tech going out to pasture.

1. I know that I can 'remove' the drm from itunes movies but at a quality loss.
    2. I know that I can import the non itunes movies into itunes
    3. I know that I can't play itunes drm'd movies anywhere but an apple tv (which rules out plex)

If there is another option, I'm totally game for it.

Also, what are you all doing for backups? I have access to crashplan and carbonite through work. It will take YEARS to backup that much data through them. I am close to buying another NAS and duplicating it once a month or so and keeping it in our safe. Otherwise theres AWS glacier but that gets pricey too.

Thanks, I'd like to streamline this experience for the family.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I have this:

41GkqeI318L.jpg

It is maybe a little overkill especially since it can be expended with a second unit to make it 10 bays but I have a lot of movies.

As far as backup, I use Crashplan. It took nearly a month to do the initial backup but now its fine.

3. Blake

CJ, what do you use for your front end?

I have the Qnap 8 bay (fully loaded) and have the ability to add an expansion unit, but I feel like when I get close to filling it up (36TB usable, I have about 8TB left) I'd rather go looking at a larger single unit.

Currently I have 687 movies split between ripped and itunes, with another ~600 to rip. I'd like to nail all of the usability down before I move forward with further ripping.

4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

I don't have movies (at least yet but I do have about 600 DVDs and a couple of hundred Blu-Rays - did sell the LDs about a year back) on the NAS (2-Bay Synology DS716+ which is also expandable with a 5 Bay unit). I do have about 5TB of music on it (configured in RAID 1).

5. CJ

I tag everything religiously and put it all in iTunes and use Apple TVs as my client.

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

My CDs are my total disaster backups for the music server, when the normal backup drive also crashes. But yes, I still buy CDs all the time. I use ZERO storage media for movies and have given away all my DVDs and BRDs, and there are no (pirated) films on my servers. It's Netflix BRD or stream, or even *gasp* broadcast.

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I buy CDs and other disks, also. Only my CDs are ripped; SACD & DVD-Audio disks get played from my Oppo BDP 83SE.

8. Blake

OK -- I'll take a further look at itunes as the one to conquer all. I've had horrendous luck with HomeSharing, though. Wired, wireless -- it just seems to suck at my house.

I downloaded Plex to run it through its paces -- if I have to have two apps on the apple tv that's not the end of the world I suppose. Haven't really scratched the surface but at least it found my server/storage, which is more than I can say for HomeSharing.

I spent my winter break ripping my CDs to FLAC and making sure that the meta data is 100% or as close as possible. I'm now doing the same to my movies.

David, I have a few storage bins in the garage of CDs on spindles and now movies too -- but the thought of redoing all of that gives me nightmares. I've talked to crashplan and they are going to see if there is some way to move that amount of data to them quickly -- I find myself browsing Ebay for LTO tapes. I'm going crazy I think.

9. CJ

Home Sharing is still not perfect. I still have to restart iTunes from time to time. It's always iTunes. Whatever error you get its always solved by shutting down iTunes and re-launching it.

10. Blake

CJ -- good to know that it's not just me.

I worry about the ability for iTunes to properly deal with large collections and how the ATV will deal with them as well.

I think I'm going to have to test strip the DRM off and see if there's a huge difference in quality -- then I can unify everything under Plex / Kodi / whatever.

11. CJ

iTunes handles a large library fine. It's not like it disconnects daily. I've not tried another "client" setup like Plex but I'm pretty particular that the interface look polished, which Apple does well. To me the only downside is Apple is sound format limited. You can't play DD+ or DTS MA through it. The video bitrate however is not a problem that I know of so I could convert a 30 GB BD to a 27 GB MP4/M4V just dropping to DD audio and Apple TV would play it.

12. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

May I what program do you use to rip your movies CJ? Are you keeping menus and chapter functions alive?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  13. CJ

Movie only, no extra content. It does keep chapter markers. I rip with MakeMKV and then convert with Handbrake.

14. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I used iTunes for a bit but I do also DL high rez music so I had to go with Jriver. I keep my music server in the main listening room and it connects to my DAC via usb. This is all controlled easily via iPad or iPad touch. Dont even need to have the display on to play all day.

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

I use a hybrid of iTunes and Plex. The Mac Mini that's the home computer / kids home work / kitchen TV acts as the central server for all media (photo, music & video) and has an external 3TB drive attached. iTunes is the central media manager for music and iPhoto handles photo's with Plex configured to watch the iTunes media drive for content. I can then add movies through iTunes if I need to sync them to our various iDevices or just drop in new movies into the iTunes\Movies folder where Plex picks it up.

I then use Apple's Time Machine software to back up all the computers to a central Time Capsule drive.

Front end for the AV systems are Apple TV's which have Plex installed or through home sharing. The other devices (laptops, iPads etc) can all access the media through Plex as well or iTunes home share.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  16. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I'm not ripping any movies. I'm most interested in ripping my concert DVDs and BRs and wanting the ability to go to a particular song or show segment. I've used MakeMKV for a lot of them but, without the menus to navigate I'm fumbling around too much. I've been trying ImgBurn to create .iso images for my favorites, but they are straight copies and the HD space required is grotesque, even in today's memory-flush world.

17. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I have an almost 5 Tb database managed by iTunes just fine.

CJ likes this.
  18. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I use Make MKV to rip my movies, and Foobar 2000 to rip my CDs to Flac, along with digital downloads of FLAC files. All files are stored on my NAS server which used to by my old HTPC.

From my laptop, I use Foobar 2000.
    Receiver, dlna via Plex to the Marantz Receiver and stream two-channel audio.

Phones and Tablet, Plex and most recently USB Audio Player Pro with my phone.

19. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

On a Mac, right? I lost Handbrake a year or so ago. Have been using Any Video but I struggle with subtitles.

20. CJ

What do you mean lost it? Its still being supported on both OSX and Windows.