The named names thread

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Nov 1, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I don't want this to be salacious or treated lightly but I actually commented to a coworker that so much is breaking now I'm starting to lose track, which is actually a bad thing. My idea behind this thread is to track the news around the growing sexual harassment and assault revelations as they break so it is not all lost in the shuffle. If you want to add names I'll update the first post but please provide a source for the accusations. Also, my thought is mainly around new allegations vs. e.g. Roman Polanski types of cases, although if new allegations are raised I think it is relevant.

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/09/lapd...o-investigate-sexual-misconduct-in-hollywood/

1. Harvey Weinstein - The Women Who Have Accused Harvey Weinstein
    2. Kevin Spacey - New allegations against Kevin Spacey
    3. Andy Dick - Andy Dick Fired From Film for Sexual Harassment: ‘My Middle Name Is Misconduct’
    4. Dustin Hoffman - Dustin Hoffman Sexually Harassed Me When I Was 17 (Guest Column)
    5. Brett Ratner - Brett Ratner Accused of Sexual Harassment by Six Women (Report)
    6. Roger Ailes - Roger Ailes sexual harassment scandal: A timeline
    7. Bill O'Riley - Bill O'Reilly settled sex harassment claim for $32 million, report says
    8. Mark Halprin - NBC News, MSNBC cut ties with Mark Halperin
    9. Jeremy Piven CBS “Looking Into” Jeremy Piven Sexual Assault Allegations By ‘Entourage’ Actress, HBO Also Responds
    10. Donald Trump Donald Trump Could Be Forced to Produce Documents Related to His Own Alleged Sexual Assaults on Women
    11. James Tobak Director James Toback accused of sexual harassment by 38 women
    12. Jamie Horowitz - Another Rupert Murdoch cable channel is under a sexual harassment investigation
    13. Lena Dunham - Lena Dunham Responds To Accusations That She Sexually Abused Her Sister
    14. Bill Cosby - Bill Cosby's sexual assault case ends in a mistrial
    15. George H.W. Bush George H.W. Bush responds after actress accuses him of sexual assault - CNN
    16. Roy Price Amazon TV Producer Goes Public With Harassment Claim Against Top Exec Roy Price (Exclusive)
    17. John Besh John Besh, famed New Orleans restaurateur, steps down amid sexual harassment allegations - CNN
    18. Ben Affleck Ben Affleck apologizes for groping Hilarie Burton - CNN
    19. Casey Affleck Petition seeks to prevent Casey Affleck from taking part in next year’s Academy Awards ceremony - The Boston Globe
    20. Jon Grissom Corey Feldman Says Actor Jon Grissom Molested Him In The 1980s | HuffPost
    21. David Guillod 'Ted' Star Jessica Barth Accuses 'Atomic Blonde' Producer David Guillot
    22. Louis CK - Louis C.K. Crossed a Line Into Sexual Misconduct, 5 Women Say
    23. Mariah Carey - Mariah Carey Accused of Sexual Harassment
    24. Steven Seagal - Portia de Rossi: Steven Seagal Sexually Harassed Me During an Audition
    25. Ed Westwick - Gossip Girl Star Ed Westwick Is Being Investigated By The LAPD Following Accusation of Rape

Organizations / Aggregations
    The CBS Network and the Hawaii 5-0 production company CBS Hit With Harassment Lawsuit From 'Hawaii Five-0' Locations Assistant
    17 Hollywood and media Big Shots named: 17 Hollywood and Media Heavyweights Accused of Sexual Misconduct Since Harvey Weinstein

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

4. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Added Lena Dunham who admitted to sexually abusing her sister and then later said it was the kind of stuff that all kids do (no, no they don't).

6. DYohn

7. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

8. DYohn

9. DYohn

10. DYohn

11. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

quite the Snowball

12. DYohn

I wonder if this would all have been be rationalized away as "boys will be boys" if Weinstein had happened at the same time as the "pussy grab" tape. Or might this happening at the same time have caused the proper outraged reaction against Trump?

13. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

What is sexual harassment/assault, vs. throwing an over the top pass at someone? This thought came to me when I heard of the first Kevin Spacy accusation. He came on to the the kid, was rebuffed, and stopped. Granted the kid was a minor, so that is an issue, but in general, the party was over, he was buzzed/drunk, and came on hard, but stopped. He wasn't offering career advancement, or threatening to hurt the person's career if he was rebuffed. Just buzzed and hoping to score. Again, I think the kid being 14 is an issue, but at the same time Spacy was only in his mid 20s and from the images of Anthony Rapp that I could find, he didn't look like a "little kid" at the time. Just asking, is this "Salem Witch Hunting", or "McCarthy Communist Hunting" of our time?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  14. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Obviously better safe than sorry, but I've had this same thought. I would say harassment vs. assault are pretty clear. Harassment includes inappropriate comments and suggestions, quid pro quo offers, etc. and I would say less "inappropriate" comments if the attention is repeated after the other party has asked you to stop. But on the sexual assault side, there is a big difference (I'm open to a debate if you disagree) between copping a feel and raping someone. Do we have language to reflect those differences? I'm not suggesting copping a feel is OK, but I think using the same term as hold her down vaginal penetration rape is kind of problematic.

The big difference here is that these people actually did something wrong. In the witch trials no harm was being done, witchcraft isn't real, and in many cases, accusations were made based on absolutely nothing simply for things like seizing property owned by a woman. In the McCarthy era, people were being attacked for having an unpopular belief. Even if they WERE communists that was not and should not have been a crime. And then of course, people who WEREN'T communists were accused for ulterior motives.

15. DYohn

Legally, any unwanted physical touching that can be construed as an attack is assault.

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Understood. Do you think there is any problem, if you view this from having a public dialog about this problem, in using the legal terminology, which is extremely broad in what it covers?

Two women were sexually assaulted, one was kidnapped, beaten, and brutally raped at gunpoint by multiple gang members over the course of 6 days and only escaped with her life when the one person in the house passed out after shooting heroine. The other was eve teased on the subway. Same?

Brian Bunge likes this.
  17. DYohn

Of course it's not the same. There are degrees of assault, and this is reflected in the law with terms like "aggravated assault" and "assault and battery" etc. Does there need to be a different term for the milder forms? Perhaps. Or perhaps there needs to be new terms created for the more egregious forms. Once an assault crosses into genuine rape or kidnapping, however, I think the milder term should not be used.

18. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

The other issue with Spacey is his selfish choice to simultaneously declare that he is gay, which has nothing to do with assaultive behavior, drunken or not. Had he made a statement of apology and let his (wide open secret) sexuality become known as a result the reaction may have been much different. But then again the boy was a minor, so he's still a shit.

Barry_NJ and DYohn like this.
  19. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

20. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Updated other members' posts and added David Guillod