1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The cinematography of Ghost in the Shell

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Apr 10, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I actually haven't watched this one yet because I'm waiting to see the film, but this might be another subscription worthy channel. I'm going to check out some of the other videos for films I've seen.

2. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

As I noted elsewhere, GITS really looked cool.

3. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I watched this last night on Vudu UHD with Dolby Atmos. I haven't seen the original Anime since the mid-90s so my mind was pretty blank regarding the plot. From a visual standpoint, it is a site to see. It is a CGI laced film, but it is done very well. Action sequences are very similar to "Lucy". It's not everyone's cup of tea, but for me, I can handle a second or third viewing of the film.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  4. nolan

nolan New Member

Wasn't this the movie with the racist casting?

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Welcom Nolan. Many people claim this movie was "whitewashed". Whether that is true and whether that constitutes racism is a matter of opinion. Some would say it is a serious sin, some would say its just business to put a bankable star in a role, regardless of the race of the character in the source material.

6. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

I wasn't particularly blown away by the cinematography. Looked like a video game.

7. No.
    Ghost in the Shell’s Anime Director Mamoru Oshii Dismisses Whitewashing Claim
    It was, however, the movie with alledged racist casting.

edit: btw, Hi Nolan, welcome :)

8. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I finally watched the original Anime,and the ScarJo film feels more like a Prequel rather than a remake. There are a lot of action sequences and shots taken from the 90s film, but the plots are entirely different, with some similarities. I doubt there will be a second film, but if there was, I can see the plot from the 90s film making it into a new movie.