The 365 movie discussion thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Jan 2, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member Top Poster

I think several of us couldn't decide if you were a spam account or not. You are more than welcome to post legitimate content here.

2. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Caught some Redbox flicks and saw Three Billboards last night at the local Warren (now Regal). $5 on Wednesday I just recently learned, so we'll probably hit up a Wednesday movie every week we can. I'm hoping to see Darkest Hour this weekend. Surprisingly my wife wants to see it too. Win/win.

I had heard Three Billboards was exaggerated about small town life, but, as a small town Midwestern guy, it is not. Waiting for David to see this one. It's so Missouri/Kansas/Oklahoma/Arkansas. :D Not necessary on the big screen like Dunkirk, but a good movie for sure.

CJ likes this.
  3. CJ

4. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

same o- same o

Funny film....don't know about the BEST

5. CJ

From the log thread

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Pretty good. I wanted to like this one more than I did. The story seemed OK but it felt miscast and the dialog was clunky and wasn't used well to move the story forward. I could see it growing on me though now that I know the story.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  6. CJ

Just finished Okja. Interesting watch. Would be happy to discuss if anyone else has seen it.

7. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

8. Carl V

my lips are sealed. :rolleyes:

saw part of this at a friends house
    his family were re-watching the film

never saw it in its entirety, no interest

9. CJ

Just watched Coco in the home theater with the family. Great film. Really wonderful music and stunning visuals.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  10. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

It's on my list, but haven't seen it yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

11. CJ

Let me know what you think if you see it.

12. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

Ok..so The Shape Of Water..I really wanted to like this one. Went in with expectations but I walked away disappointed. Heavy handed messaging while being light on plot.

13. CJ

from the main thread
    I just heard a podcast about this one

14. CJ

Added a ton of new movies to my log... here's the new updates.

1. Tomb Raider - Hard meh... just... meh.
    2. Training Day (rewatched) - This came up on a podcast recently and I had to rewatch it. It holds up really well!
    3. Darkest Hour - I watched this with my extended family as my parents and sister were over. We all really enjoyed it and I thought Oldman's performance was out of this world.
    4. Any Given Sunday - This was a rewatch but I haven't seen this movie since it originally released on DVD. On the one hand, many elements don't hold up well to time, on the other, some of the injury and especially concussion awareness talk of the movie is borderline progressive. Some odd, by typical Stone-esque editing in the movie probably age the worst.
    5. The Lost City of Z - This film reminds me of a 2-part A&E mini-series that was all the buzz back in the early forum days called Longitude. Longitude starred Jeremy Irons and was a tale of obsession and frustration at being somewhat intentionally foiled in your life's work that had you screaming your frustration at the screen. Lost City of Z felt like a slower (even though it was shorter) less well executed version of that story.
    6. Annihilation - I had mixed feelings about this film. This might be the dark, sci-fi thriller version of Avatar, where the visuals outpace the story. The story here is not as offensive as the "white savior" motif of Avatar but it didn't hold up for me. The world building and visuals however, were pretty stunning.
    7. Harry potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Multiple time rewatch for me. My youngest is now getting into HP. This might be the last one we watch for a while as I think they're getting too intense for her. The same happened with my middle child where we had to take a break and wait on the latter films.
    8. Ocean's Eleven (2001) - Probably third or fourth rewatch. This is another film that came up on The Rewatchables podcast that we thought our kids might be old enough to enjoy. Everyone liked it.
    9. Red Sparrow - I posted about this in the dedicated thread. Gratuitous nudity and ultra-violence and the plot was just OK. It wasn't a bad film, just OK.
    10. Kingsman: The Golden Circle - I like the Kingsman films. If you haven't seen them watch a trailer. If the fight scenes look fun, watch these films. If they look irritating and stupid, you'll hat them. I like them.
    11. Die Hard - Nth rewatch. Have been trying to squeeze this in at Christmas for the last 4-5 years but it never works out with all the kids around. One of my most rewatchable films.
    12. Mr. Nobody - This is a bit of bizarre sci-fi movie with shades of The Butterfly Effect. I won't spoil it but I suspect many here will never watch it and fewer would enjoy it. That said, if you like a bit of hard sci-fi and weirdness and can tolerate ambiguity throughout nearly an entire film with very little resolution and you just want to watch something that isn't mainstream Hollywood, I highly recommend this one. But it will be a challenge.
    13. The Foreigner - This is a great off-the-beaten path action film of the "Taken" ilk. I love Jackie Chan, even more so as he gets older. He is just great to watch in this otherwise unremarkable film. Solid B.
    14. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi - This is a 70s TV short that I used to watch as a kid. It was fun and nostalgic rewatching it. It was universally panned by my children.
    15. John Wick - Another re-watch. I was just in the mood for a hard action film a couple weekends ago and this one did it. They don't make many action/fight choreography movies like these films. Keanu is one of a couple actors willing to put in the work to make a movie like this that involves actual physical choreography.
    16. Ready Player One - I mentioned in the main thread on this film, I enjoyed this much more on the rewatch than the original time seeing it in theaters. My expectations of what the characters would look like in-game were subverted and the book and all the plot points left out were too fresh in my mind. Knowing what it was on the rewatch made it much more enjoyable.
    17. Murder on the Orient Express - I wanted this to be better than it was. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't good. The visuals of the train and mountain pass were stunning and the all-star cast was fun but it just never got there :(
    18. Jack Reacher - Never Go back - Basic government coverup thriller. Just OK.
    19. Edge of Tomorrow - A rewatch, maybe the 3rd time. I really really like this film. Its like Groundhog Day meets Starship Troupers.
    20. Safety Not Guaranteed - I really enjoyed this quirky 2012 indie. This movie is really about people, and relationships, and the past... thinking about what might have been and lost chances. Its bittersweet and really well done on a shoestring budget.
    21. Southpaw - This was a fairly generic boxing film and the ending was one of the stupidest uses of boxing gotcha's ever implemented. Not only was the twist unoriginal but this was the worst execution of it I've ever seen.

15. Carl V

Thanks. Nice list. need to get off my lazy ass and start watching films. Free time seems to be biking ‍♀️‍♀️ morning or evening. Eating, drinking & reading on the deck. Going out to wine dinners. We’ve had some film series at the local museum and film art houses ie., Bergman films now.

16. Brandth

Brandth Active Member War Zone Member

Quite the list for sure. Congrats on having the time to watch. :)

Only ones of the list I've seen are the harry Potters and Ready Player one. Really like the Harry Potter series. RP1 was better than I expected, worth a watch, but wouldn't buy.

17. CJ

This is the master list. The 2018 Lounj movie log (365 challenge) Not 100% sure who all is keeping their log up. I added 20 movies but I can see in my history what I've watched and update in batches. In the rare event I see something in theaters I usually remember to ad it.