The 365 movie discussion thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Jan 2, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member Top Poster

The 2018 HTL movie log (365 challenge)

I've lamented here and to friends and family "IRL" that I have a large backlog of movies I've purchased but not seen. Typically these fall into 3 categories... 1) movies I intended to watch with someone else and haven't found the time to do so, so I'm still "saving" them 2) movies that are more on the asrtsy drama side of things* that I do want to watch but I need to be "up for" or 3) long movies that keep getting bumped because they are pushing 3 hours. Some of these may fall into category 2 as well.

Any way, there's a subreddit called r/365movies which is basically a movie-a-day challenge community on Reddit. I don't know that I'm up for averaging a movie a day with my real life commitments. Some of the participants appear to be young and single or have a participating SO.

Is anyone else up for setting a goal and tracking it in this thread? I have to think about what my goal would be and if there isn't any other interest I'll just do something offline (or not).

Just curious.

*A pretty decent chunk of the backlog are former Oscar noms/winners going back to the early 2010s that I still haven't seen.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

If 2 hours of British or Australian TV drama = one movie, I'm in. :)

3. CJ

LOL, competing media is part of my problem too. I've started playing video games a bit more and watching much more television. Like I said, it could be a 100 movie challenge or whatever works for each person.

DYohn likes this.
  4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I've been lamenting the state of my HT and media enjoyment as well. My room is still not even up to speed since we moved a year ago. I binge Netflix when I am working from home, but besides that don't watch a lot. Been to the theater like twice this year. I have a strange feeling of guilt about it all. Still--there is so no f(*&ing way I can watch a movie a day!

im_out.gif

Barry_NJ likes this.
  5. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I don't think I watch that much. Occasionally I'll watch more than 2 hours of Video (TV/YouTube/Movie) in a day, but not most, that's generally a weekend, vacation, or sick day. During a regular day, if I watch a movie, I likely wouldn't be watching other video stuff that day...

6. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

agree, 365 won't happen.
    I did see many of the AFI-100 along
    with Dr White.
    But that required some Concerted Effort.
    Like many goals, it does take Commitment & focus.

Unfortunately, Real life gets in the way

7. CJ

I don't want to clutter up the other thread so let's make this one the discussion thread and keep the other one the log.

I've discovered my mentality seems to be making my experience much more enjoyable. Instead of feeling like I have to pick the perfect movie I'm just kind of haphazardly picking one. My backlog is all movies I bought for a reason at one point. Just watch one!

8. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

I have a backlog, for sure, and I don't think I even want a movie a day, as I have other interests and comittments in my life as well.

Normally, I watch a movie with my gf Friday night after dinner, and then maybe a concert when she goes to bed. Friday movies maybe something new, or some favorite, but since we're both tired after a working week, not too long or complicated. Saturdays, we usually eat earlier so we can watch a longer movie, or something that requires more concentration. Sometimes I watch one more if she goes to bed as there are a number of movies in my collection she doesn't like much. Sunday night I might watch something while she usually doesn't, so 3-4 movies a week, tops.

Then I have two unwatched seasons of Fargo, plus Twin Peaks S03 complicatimg the situation ... not to mention series I haven't even discovered yet.

9. CJ

Yep. You could do a 100 movies or whatever too. Every January, goodreads.com sends its members a challenge request and you fill out how many books you're going to read in the coming year. Its just for fun. No one comes and breaks down your door if you don't read 12 books in 2018.

10. CJ

My updates I watched a couple films last night with the family and one this morning before the Iowa basketball game. Up in the Air was the standout for me.

11. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Loved Up In The Air. 3 movies in ~12 hours. Only way that happens for me is if I'm sick and forced to sit on the sofa all day.

12. Ella29

Ella29 New Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  13. Barry_NJ

Where's the post from Ella29? You kicked a woman out?!?!? LOL :D

14. CJ

You decide...

15. Barry_NJ

I figured it was a spam type post, I was just goofing around, but this place is a bit of a sausage fest :D

16. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Great movie, Clooney always delivers, Vera Farmiga in a smallish role is fantastic, and Anna Kendrick, just wow, I can watch her just standing there, thinking about reading the phone book to me.

17. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

say it ain't so

18. CJ

Added Atonement after watching last night. Interesting film. I thought it was well done but not a pleasant plot so not rewatchable by any means.

19. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Saw I, Tonya over the weekend with the wife. I liked it, but she wasn't crazy about it. Also added our redbox pick last night that I watched instead of my usual Live PD while working in the shop.

Watching Braveheart now on BBC. Forgot how good it was.

20. Ella29

Ella29 New Member

Thank you guys))))

CJ likes this.