1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Still don't miss Windows

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by CJ, Jul 7, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

As you know if you saw this (New computer setup) I recently replaced my iMac with a MacBook Pro. Tonight I went to do some work in iMovie to upload a few new HTL youtube videos. I realized that despite my best efforts, my decision to only selectively copy over files and reinstall some applications from scratch resulted in me missing some files for the youtube channel. Luckily, despite having wiped the HD on the iMac, I kept the Time Machine sparsebundle on my NAS. Because OS X is linux based I of course didn't have to do some crazy full OS restore, I just mounted the sparsebundle and provided my user name and password and was looking at my old computers file system. I was able to copy over the files to the new OS file system without problem. The little things....

2. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

FWIW, I believe that OS X IS NOT linux based, it is unix based.

And I don't want to turn this into a Mac/Windows war, but I've gone back and recovered data off of old Windows disc drives without problems.

3. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Yes - that is my understanding - macOS - Wikipedia

"The X was a prominent part of the operating system's brand identity, and was used to showcase its Unix compatibility; UNIX 03 certification was achieved for the Intel version of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard[10] and all releases from Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard up to the current version also have UNIX 03 certification"

4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

I've also recovered stuff from Windows. Right now I use EaseUS for that. Hopefully, I won't have to do it again. Much of it was local hard drives filled with music attached to Windows music servers (it usually would happen a couple of times a year where there would be a problem). I finally figured out settings on the playback software that I can't hear the difference between files on the NAS and files on the local hard drives. Now I just use the local hard drives for back-up.

I also still have a Mac G5 Tower in the upstairs bonus room that at one time was my main PC. I have a couple of iPads, Android tablets and iPhones (old ones still can be useful for Apps). When I upgrade phones probably later this year or early next year (its been about 3 years or a bit more), it will probably be the next iPhone and I'll find use for old iPhone 6 at that point. All OS have their pros and cons. That being said, I was happy to get off the Windows platform for my main system and get a Lumin U1 network transport (believe Linux based) for a music server (LUMIN U1). Much less issues. Getting used to their (Lumin's) App and how it works with Minimserver on the NAS.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Well, I won't dig a deeper hole by saying UNIX, Linux, same diff ;) I've been all Mac for 6 years now except at work and supporting my Dad's PC. I still find Macs to be easier to support and troubleshoot. There are far fewer gremlins that build up over time. In fact, this was the first time I've done a clean install in 6 years on my main computer and did so, primarily because I was splitting my main PC in two... new main PC and Server only.

DYohn likes this.
  6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

We have both Macs and Windows machines in our house, and while Windows has gotten much more reliable and easier to deal with over the years, the Mac OS remains unbeatable.

7. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Like David and many of you, we have one Mac and one PC. All the rest of our devices are Apple. My wife can go weeks at a time without firing up the PC.

8. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

my Commodore 64 with MS DOS
    keeps plugging along

9. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Not as cool as Carl's rig, but I still use Ubuntu a lot. :)

And David got me started on VortexBox, a great way to use an old PC as a music server. The price is right. :cool:

DYohn likes this.
  10. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

From a user-friendliness perspective, I would agree with you. The key difference between Linux and the flavor of Unix that Apple chose, is licensing. If OSX were Linux based, OSX would legally be required to be an open-source product. My guess is that Apple chose not to base it on Linux for precisely that reason.

So... I get your joke, but there is a distinction here that's worth pointing out, IMO.