Say, CJ, didn't we have a fountain pen thread?

Discussion in 'Everyday Carry (EDC)' started by claud, Dec 24, 2017.

1. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

I seem to remember you had an interest, but I searched this forum back to 2014 and , nothing. Are you still in to it? My boss/friend is and he has given me two over the years. I have been using one of them for three years and decided to get something better, so I joined a drop on Massdrop for a Bexley. It is much smoother. Then my boss let me try his Pelikan 800 that had been tuned. Wow!!

2. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

tuned...like how

sounds interesting
    do you have a photos
    of these works of art

3. claud

There are people in the US and other places that will polish, grind and smooth out your nib and flush out your pen for less than $100.00 There are also these services available at pen shows. I will post a pic of my Bexley sometime today or tomorrow.
    My boss/friend gave me the items needed to maintain a fountain pen as a Christmas present. Since I itemize my expenses, I realized this hobby is also a tax deduction for office supplies.I have three other pens coming that i have paid for here at the end of 2017.

4. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Here's a video on one model -

5. claud

Pelikan makes the best pens. They make their own nibs by hand.
    My Bexley Prometheus is a big pen at 5.6 inches long.
    fullsizeoutput_ab7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ab9.jpeg

6. claud

Thanks Phil A. That is what I meant by tuning. Worth every penny for a smooth writing fountain pen.

7. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Yeah, I think there was a thread. Let me search. I was still regularly using fountain pens but not into as much as a hobby, just fill em and write. But I continue to have trouble with traveling with fountain pens and with writing on the cheap copy paper you need to take notes on in meetings. I brought all my pens home over Christmas break and was going to clean them and assess selling some and maybe just using rollerballs going forward.

8. CJ

9. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I gave up on them. After I retired I wasn't using them enough to keep the ink flowing and they all clogged up. My go to now is a Parker ball point but I use a Fisher space pen refill.

10. claud

Thanks, CJ for finding those threads. I should have some other fountain pens to show in a few weeks. I am not a collector. I just decided fountain pens are a more elegant instrument if you ocassionally put pen to paper, which I do at work and some at home. Its also a business expense for me and deductable. When all the pens arrive, I will have a Smokey Quartz M200 with an M400 smoothed and modified to stub nib, a black M400 , a black and blue M600, a M805 Stresemann and a M800 Renaissance Brown. This gives me two pens each for Smokey Quartz, blue and black ink..

11. CJ

Nice. I tried to go for a little more variety. Ultimately there were two pens I really loved and I might buy the rollerball versions. The thing I discovered is given the type of writing I do, I kept going for finer and finer tips which sort of defeats the purpose of a fountain pen in the first place. All the hassle and none of the benefit. You don't get the level of shading etc. with an XF fountain pen.

12. claud

I see your point. All my nibs are medium, and I am having 3 of them modified with a stub point. Then I will have 3 nice stub but smoothed stubs and 3 just smoothed . I write a lot of checks, deposits, notes at work and at home. Since I itemize deductions for my trust and realestate business, Its a write off business deduction. Its not a hobby, just a luxury, including inks, cases and other writing acessories.

13. Jason P

Jason P Member

CJ,

Have you tried an iron gall ink for the cheap paper? I have used IG inks for about 10 years without issue. I am also stuck with terrible paper at work and find the IG inks to perform adequately (and I am usually using a 1.1mm stub).

14. CJ

Yeah, I've tried a couple and you are correct that they are generally better. There are many inks you can research that generally behave better as they just don't bleed and feather (Waterman and J. Herbin being a few examples). I may just be "over" the maintenance aspect for now. I don't think I'd be upset with myself if I cleared out my (over) stock and maybe started over in the future with fewer pens but I could also see buying a Lamy 2000 rollerball and being done.

15. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

The grammar school nuns made us write with fountain pens back in the '50s. With my shaky hand I got more ink on my shirt than the paper. That thrilled mom! I always envied friends that used them since they looked elegant.

My dad used a inkwell pen to draw the comic strips, and modified the interchangeable nibs himself with fine sandpaper. Some were used for fine lines, others for thick and thin lettering the balloons. In my many years as an archivist, I've seen lots of different writing styles through the centuries. Early pens from the 18th and 19th centuries produced some beautiful script from scribners who knew what they were doing. Lots of iron gall ink on those old documents.

16. Jason P

Jason P Member

Anyone interested in any fountain pen trades? I have a Rotring 600 and a Pilot Vanishing Point I wouldn't mid trading for something else.

17. claud

Pics of my Pelikan M200 Smokey Quartz special edition and my M800 Pelikan Renissance. I bought a used M400 medium nib from the guy in Phil's video and had him do a stubb nib for it. Also pictured is my pen wrap that holds 8 pens. DSC_1891.JPG DSC_1895.JPG DSC_1896.JPG DSC_1897.JPG DSC_1898.JPG

CJ likes this.
  18. CJ

Nice pen!

19. claud

Massdrop has the pen rolls now if you are interested. 4 pen and 8 like mine.

20. claud

My business desk at home. That is my new beach home 21" iMac. Shame to leave it there when we closed up for the season. Cleaned M800s last night and inked them this morning. fullsizeoutput_ac6.jpeg