1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Recommend a receiver or what I should do to research

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Drew, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I have an old htr 5450 Yamaha I've had since forever driving a set of HTD level II speakers. The speakers I'll keep, but I need something bargain cheap that can pass through HDMI for the xbone, raspberry pi, and Amazon fire stick. I'll probably add a Roku at around end of month. I'll sign up for direct TV now so I can watch football (dropped cable).
    Thoughts on where to start? Am I looking at sub $200? More?

2. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Either look here for receiver Ahems or put Marantz/Denon refurbished in your browser

3. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

4. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I got a great deal on a Cambridge receiver from Accessories4less about a year ago. My receiver isn't there any more, but they have lots to choose from at surprising prices. Most are reconditioned, but mine looked brand spanking new when I got it.

I'm thrilled someone else here has HTD speakers. I have 20-year-old Level III fronts and center, and their in-walls for surrounds. I still like the way they sound, and the new PSA 15 compliments them very well. I thought about replacing them when I got the new receiver, but why??? No need to impress anyone but me.

Edit: Guess I didn't type fast enough! :(

Jack Keck likes this.
  5. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

The accesssories4less.com recommendations above at the right way to go as far as I'm concerned. I currently have 4 receivers (in different systems) that I got that way. The only problems I've had is one damaged by a lightning strike (not their fault obviosuly) and I re-bought the same model (so that's 5 I've bought) and one after many years had an HDMI board failure but Onkyo extended the warranty on those until 2018 and they sent me a prepaid box and fixed it. After the lightning damage, I had to move the Onkyo (1008) from the office to the bedroom as the receiver in the bedroom got hit and I'll probably eventually get an integrated amp for the office as I'm not going to use the in-ceiling surrounds (have not used them to date - just had them put there in case when the house was going up).

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

7. Drew

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

CJ, the one you linked has 3 4k inputs, 1 out. Not running 4k, so not needed but a bit future proof.

8. CJ

You are correct. That's a great deal. Your space is pretty small so I think that would work great. There's nothing Marantz in that price range. I'd go Denon before any other brand on that site.

9. Drew

Ahem post pending.

RJ likes this.
  10. CJ

giphy.gif

RJ likes this.
  11. Drew

It shipped this morning.

RJ and CJ like this.
  12. Drew

Of course the damn thing is in Florida. Yesterday when I got the shipping notice, scheduled delivery 7/16.

New notification this morning. Scheduled delivery 8/17... Yeah, its being shipping FedEx.

13. Drew

Now FedEx thinks it will be delivered on 8/16. What a roller coaster of emotions.

Also, i need more long cables for rear channels and need to poke holes behind the couch for the surrounds. So much to do.

CJ likes this.