1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Plugging a Sub W/no Speaker Inputs into a Receiver W/no Sub Output

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Jack Keck, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

I built a sub for my home theater. The amp I used is similar to this one "Dayton Audio SPA500 500W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier" from www.parts-express.com! . As you can see, it does not have speaker inputs. My ht receiver died. I decided not to replace it and got a sound bar instead. I would like to use this sub with my Marantz Twenty-six receiver, which has no sub output and only one set of speaker outputs.

I am open to and would be grateful for any suggestions.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

It sounds like you'll need to convert the speaker level outputs into a line level that the sub will accept. There are lots of options to do that just be careful that you aren't sending more power than they're rated for.

Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker-level to Line-level Adapter

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

That receiver has a tape out, yes? Use that.

4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks again.

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

As it turns out, I had the necessary adapter to allow me to plug the sub into the tape monitor. Then I put on St. Saens' Organ Symphony. It shook things up very nicely, thank you.

DYohn likes this.