1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  1. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen some people here using Plex buried in cord cutting and/or other computer threads. We've recently moved to it as our primary way of watching TV and more and more watching ripped movies. And It's been pretty amazing for us. Note that I am NOT a cord cutter, I still pay quite a bit for cable but it works amazingly well for the way we want to watch TV.

I've been using a HTPC for years and years but I always just browsed folder directories for TV shows and used a hacked together front end I wrote myself that dumped the DVD Profiler data out via the API and used a weird HTML based front end for movies. It sort of worked but it wasn't very wife friendly and not kid friendly at all.

Now that my two kids (8 and 5) are watching more TV I needed a solution that would work on more TVs and iPads, iPhones, ATV4s and HTPCs we still had. Plex has been great for us!

Our primary use is for TV Shows. Other than the very occasional sporting even, we watch NOTHING live. I have a 2 tuner Tivo, a 4 tuner Tivo, and a 3 tuner HDHomeRun cablecard device to record on. I use KMTTG to download from the Tivos, run through comskip, check the ad skip points, and rencode to a smaller file. FileBot takes care of naming conventions for Plex and putting the files where they should go. I also use Plex itself to record from the HDHomeRun with some custom scripts to do the same things as KMTTG does for the Plex files. It takes me 5-10 minutes every morning to strip the commercials out of the TV and 2-3 minutes after work to run FileBot to make sure names are correct then Plex has everything.

Now my kids have a shared (but I'm thinking of splitting them up) user to keep track of their watched shows separately from my watched shows and I only give them access to the shows and movies for them to watch. And the wife can use it without issue, too, though we tend to watch much TV together.

As far as sporting events go, the very recent addition of Live TV to Plex (iOS and Android TV only right now) is also great. We have an Apple TV in the kitchen with no tuner, but now we can turn a Phillies game on while cooking (if we feel like watching a team lose another 1 run game) or watch whatever TV we might want to watch there, or on our iPad, etc.

I've also been making use of the sync capability for when we're traveling and might not have great connectivity. I loaded two seasons of shows on my iPad before a recent trip to Europe and we watched a bunch of our shows on the plane making the 8-9 hour flight that much more enjoyable.

Anyone else using Plex and doing something really cool with it that I should be checking out?

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I am using it. But you are killing it.

3. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

I still use Plex from time but I have switched to Infuse for my main viewing when home. It allows for lossless audio to be carried by ATV as PCM and does not require the separate server software.

All of my Blu-rays are ripped to my NAS and I'm considering selling them. I have cut the cord somewhat in that I have a great combo of Directv Now, Netflix, HBO, Showtime for under $100 a month all running from my ATV 4's. Been really happy.

4. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I looked at Infuse and I might give it a try because I think it can talk to a Plex server. Which would give me the ability to still use Plex to categorize everything but let me get better quality to the ATV4.

5. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I'm a user of Plex as well, but on the fence regarding the "Live TV" aspect of it. I'm a huge fan of Android TV, and with the Nvidia Shield, this small box has now turned into an All-in-One Media Player with one exception, the DVR services does not allow me to watch content on other devices. That's where the Plex DVR comes in and is very enticing for my needs. I'm considering purchasing a second Nvidia Shield for the Bedroom, and using the Plex DVR Service to share content on multiple devices. I tried out the DVR service last summer when it was in Beta, but it was through the use of a laptop, which was just a temporary fix. Now that the Plex DVR is available for Freenas Users, I'm considering using my NAS Server for this service. I just need to add more storage space. The Nvidia Shield has the ability to act as a Plex Server, DVR Included, but I'd rather have all Plex Services on one box, and allow the Shield to stream content, rather than Host it.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

Big time Plex user....in fact we recently cut the cord completely and now reply solely on Plex, Netflix and other apps on a couple of AppleTV's as well as assorted phones / tablets etc.

I use com skip as well but i need to tweak my script a bit to reduce the file sizes even more as they're coming in around 8 GB a show I think.