1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Oppo Players

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by RJ, Jul 22, 2017.

1. RJ

RJ Member

I don't download movies, so this is a non factor. I was just considering buying the UHD Pioneer drive, and spinning the disc to watch, basically building my own UHD player at a reduced price since the PC can also serve several other purposes.

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Just remember your hardware requirements for Playing UHD via HTPC. I believe you need software such as PowerDVD to play UHD content, and a GPU such as an Nvidia GX960.

3. RJ

RJ Member

Playing UHD requires a 7th generation Intel chip and GPU with HDMI 2.o/2.2, Windows 10, software that has HDCP 2.2.

There is something hardware related in the Intel processor that allows for playback, without it you're not going to go anywhere. The new NUCs can handle it given you put the UHD drive in an external enclosure.

Maybe just going OPPO is the way to go after all, lol

4. Jay Brown

I believe the Kaby Lake Chipset is a must, where the CPU is secondary. Everywhere I've read, at minimum an Nvidia GX960 is also a requirement.

Power DVD was one of the first programs to playback UHD discs, but I believe there are more.

Over at AVS in the HTPC section there's alot of information, but you will also read comments shying away from the platform, and leaning towards a good media streamer.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

5. Jay Brown

Anyone streaming DSD Files to their Oppo player?

Nativedsd.com has a sampler to download with a coupon code. It consists of 2 and multi-channel files. Per the instructions from NativeDSD, you can play the music via USB Drive attached to your Oppo, or Applications such as Fubar2000 and Jriver. I was not able to play the files using a USB Drive, but I was able to with Fubar2000. The only SACD I own is Herbie Hancock's "Thrust" which played in the Oppo with no need to make any adjustments to the player or Speaker configuration.

For those streaming DSD, how are you guys playing these files?

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Jay - other than doing several (2-channel) when I got the player (almost 9 months back) to make sure it worked, I have not done any more as I moved a separate DAC in there (when I upgraded the main system DAC and music server, I moved what I had in a secondary system by rotating it from the main system and then what I had in the secondary system to the system where I have my 203). I do have a hard drive where I extracted about 50 multi-channel DSD files attached to the 203 (that basically get used once a year or so), which I had previously used with a 103D and no problem. I also do have JRiver on the music server in that room (which plays files from my NAS). Had lightning damage at the end of March and more or less almost caught up with audio and after a vacation and RMAF, I'll probably get to try it again (assuming nothing else pops up). I can extract an of my ISO files to multi-channel (as long as the disc had a multi-channel mix) and that's how I got the 50 I have on the hard drive attached to the 203. I extracted a few classical and probably 40+ albums I though sounded good in multi-channel.

7. Jay Brown

The way I have the Oppo configured for two-channel audio, I use the Analog L/R and Subwoofer connections directly into my Receiver with Audyssey turned off. I'm having to use my laptop with Foobar installed to play DSF files. Other files, such as Flac, I simply use the Oppo App installed on my Phone and choose the music from there.

For these particular files, the Laptop with the Foobar service running has to be part of the equation. I tried Plex, as it appears there's DSD support, but that did not work. This is not a big issue, as I do not play Multi-channel files to begin with. I know in the Marantz Configuration I can switch the input to HDMI for Multi-Channel Playback, as opposed to 7.1 Analog, but again, not a major hurdle. Just discovering more capabilities of the Player.

8. Phil A

Jay from memory with my 103D, the Marantz's (I have the 5010 and at least for that) don't do DSD so one has to convert it to PCM in the Oppo. My old Marantz 6003 I had in the system at one point would accept DSD via HDMI. I was able to use the 5010 with the 103D that way in multi-channel. I have not gotten to the 203. There is not much of a discernable loss at 24/88.2 vs. DSD (it's so hard anyway when one has multiple channels playing to identify that stuff - I can tell on a 2-channel file I am familiar with).

9. Phil A

When I played 2-channel DSD via the 203, I used its analog outs. I have a Sherbourn preamp (with HT Bypass) and an Emotiva amp in the system and the Oppo 203 analog outs were going into the preamp (now the outboard DAC's analog output - it sounds better than the 203). While I have not tried multi-channel DSD in the 203 yet, I played them with the 103D into the Marantz 5010 via HDMI with the Oppo converting them to PCM. Worked fine.

10. Jay Brown

Plex was able to play the files through the Nvidia Shield, but it is transcoding to mp3.

When I listen to music, I usually use my Receiver or Oppo with the TV off. I've been having issues with the Plex DLNA service for the longest, and reinstalling the server has not fixed the problem. I got it to work last night using the Oppo and Marantz Apps, but could not play DSF files. Using the Oppo via Plex DLNA, a song would play, but it was not the right one, and it was difficult to stop the song from playing as well.

I also tried the Bubble UPnP app on my phone, but no go. So it looks like Foobar for DSF files for now.

11. Jay Brown

Did I already tell you guys the 203 is a Beast? Hi10 Media files, which are known to be used for Anime, are CPU intensive files to play. It's not recommended to play these types of files on devices with ARM Processors, as this file type requires both a strong processor along with Software decoding. The Nvidia Shield's Tegra 2 processor is an ARM Processor, a powerful one at that, and when one of these files is played on it, using Plex or Kodi, it will play but it struggles with choppy audio and video playback.

Playing these types of files using the Oppo 203, the player didn't even blink. It pulled up the files instantly from my NAS, and some of these files were 720p, 1080p, 1080p with FLAC audio, and 1080p with Dolby Digital 5.1, and HDR10 . I'm just waiting for the day I come home from work and dinner is already made.

12. Jay Brown

Been under the weather the past few days, so I had a Studio Gibli fest. This is a snapshot of "Howl's Moving Castle" 1:1 BD Rip streaming through the Oppo 203, displayed on a Sony XBR55x900e.

69658feeaec2a21a3bdc2d857d35cb19.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

13. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

whoa nice image....I liked that film at the theater

14. Jay Brown

I need to attend one of these Gibli Studio Film festivals to watch some of these movies in the theater.

15. Phil A

Jay - pic look great!

16. Jay Brown

For Spotify users, there's an app called Airspot for Android. This is a DLNA client which allows for "non-spotify connect" devices to stream the service. It's a simple app which runs in the background. Once this app is running, simply load Spotify, and choose any Spotify Connect or DLNA device on your network. As a Result, you now have the option to stream to your Oppo Player without the need to physically connect the device for use with Spotify.

The info I received from the Oppo 203 while streaming a song was PCM, 16-bit 44.1.

You'll primarily use the Spotify App to stream your content, so there's' no need to use another app.

For Android there is a Trial and Paid Version which is $2.99