1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Oppo Players

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by RJ, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

A DAC chip alone is not what is going to make a player (there are many things that use the same DAC chip but I also have not heard the newer ESS DAC chips - with the older 9018 chip on most things I heard it was a little sterile sounding). I didn't make it to an audio get together (was sick that week) but a friend who lives about 90 minutes away got a 205. Not sure he kept it (have not talked to him in a bit). I know he said for CD (and another friend was there and agreed) playback it couldn't touch his older Sony ES CD player.

I have never tried streaming video but have my audio files on my NAS in folders and can see all the NAS folders just like I can on the 103D. I use the 103D on a semi-regular basis as I've moved it to the bedroom system which feeds the outdoor speakers and with the Oppo Media Control App I can select music. Per the manual - "Network enables the player to stream audio, video and photos from media servers on the home network. Compatible hardware and software may be required. " This - Unofficial OPPO UDP-203 Frequently Asked Questions has not been fully populated at this point but it does say which video codecs are not supported.

I use a wired network connection but for a bit I thought I had a problem and tried the wireless and that worked well. It turned out to be the network switch (I had lightning damage). There's some info here on Post 4593 and following as well regarding Plex - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread-154.html

2. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

I have a feeling that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be a good 4K demo BR.

3. Phil A

per this it did not start out as real 4K - Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 | Real or Fake 4K

That does not mean it won't look good of course.

4. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

A few days ago, out of curiosity, I played Speed Racer through Plex. This movie is an example of what HDR would look like under extreme circumstances. It's just a standard Warner Brothers Blu Ray with no lossless audio, but the colors on my display just popped, simply put.

Regarding the Oppo and Plex, from a DLNA perspective, Plex works great. Of course there are no streaming services on the new Oppo players but being able to stream content using Plex's DLNA service will be a great option. I use the DLNA service for streaming FLAC files to my Marantz for 2-channel audio.

I tried the service with my Sony BD Player,and although the Plex Icon appeared as a streaming service, nothing would play.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  5. Yeah, I have an older but still excellent processor/amp (Primare SPA-21), without HDMI, so I use the analog outputs from my Oppo BDP-95. Sounds great, actually even better than my previous BDP-83 connected the same way.

6. claud

Ordered my 203 today

7. Phil A

Congrats - I'm sure you will love it. Big Oppo fan. I have besides the 203, two 103Ds (one in the main system just for video and one in the bedroom both for video and for playing music files on the outdoor speakers from my NAS), a 93, a modded 83 and still have my DV980H (just keep it around as a region free DVD player - bought it many moons ago for the bedroom system in my old house).

8. claud

one 103, two 83s( one for my Schiit Ragg/Yiggy system) and a 980H

9. Jay Brown

New 203 arrived today. Can't wait to get it set up. efa9eee7d3ea0a19a6cbabdcfb32ea75.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  10. claud

You need demo discs. How else are you going to show your buds the latest toy. Today I ordered The Mummy (Preorder), The Great Wall and Planet Earth 2 to demo my new display system. Go to AVS forum for reviews!!

11. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Just ordered the Oppo 203 this afternoon, as well as 7 4k discs from Amazon.

12. Jay Brown

As of now, I only have The Revenant UHD Blu Ray Disc. The movie loaded pretty fast. I'd have to get a couple of Movies to test out the player.

2 Firmware updates, took less than 5 minutes to install both updates.

Set up is pretty straight forward.
    From a network standpoint, the 203 recognized both my Freenas Server, and the Plex DLNA service running on this server. It played my music library with ease, but streaming movies, while the player did not produce any buffering while watching 1:1 Blu Ray Rips, it did take up t0 30 seconds to load a movie, SD DVDs as well. Playing movies on the Nvidia Shield is pretty instant.

For HDMI, audio is set to Bitstream, which enabled me to hear Lossless Audio playback including Dolby Atmos coming from Transformers: Age of Extinction.

I have the Player configured with my Harmony Remote as well for two activities.

For the Blu Ray activity, I replace the Sony BD Player with the 203.
    For 2-Channel audio Playback, I used the Multi-Channel Output, Front L/R via RCA Cables, connected them to the Multi-Channel In on the Marantz Receiver, then assigned the CD Input on the Receiver to use Multi-Channel output. With the Harmony Remote, I created a new Activity for 2-Channel Audio via the Oppo Player, where the Marantz is set to Pure Direct, but I have to manually set the Oppo to Pure Audio. To play music, I'm using the Oppo Media App which allows me to browse my library on the network.
    I have to wait for the weekend to really spend some time with the set up. Currently having an Analog vs Digital Dilemma regarding how my 2-Channel set up is configured.

Earlier on, I did have my Nvidia Shield connected to the HDMI Input of the 203, but unfortunately, no HDR can be passed through this input, so I connected the Shield back to its original port on the Receiver.

Update: I don't know what I did, but now these 1:1 BD Rips load in less than 5 seconds. I'm grabbing the files straight from the NAS Server, and not through Plex, so that may be part of the reason for the quick loads.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  13. claud

MurrayB which 4K movies did you order from our sponsor

14. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Logan, Suicide Squad (I seem to be one of the few who really liked it), Magnificent Seven (the new one), Deadpool, Ghostbuster (the new one - again, one of the few to really like it). Pre-order for Wonder Woman. Turns out it was 6, not 7.

15. Jay Brown

The presentation of opening the box was something to see, for me at least. These guys really care about their customers and products. The product itself is well built, sturdy, and does not feel flimsy at all. This is my first Oppo of course, so hearing the positive reviews of their products and services over the years has been a contributing factor to this purchase.

With the 203's DLNA ability to detect DLNA services on my network, I was able to see my HD HomeRun network tuner and watch Live OTA Broadcasts. While not ideal, the fact that the 203 can do this is something very encouraging regarding their dedication, features, and product support as whole.

Last night I ordered Ghost in the Shell, Logan, and The Arrival. Looking forward to viewing these again!

16. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

My old BDP-83 was giving me a lot of troubles trying to work with my Marantz SR7010 and Samsung 65" SUHD. So I bit the bullet this morning and also ordered a 203. (Yay!)

17. claud

Oppo means you are serious about your HT quality. Oppo should sponsor us.

jasn likes this.
  18. Jay Brown

I purchased the Spears and Munsil Calibration BD to make adjustments to my display. I wasn't aware that the Oppo would have some screen settings as well. A bit more advanced than the usual Calibration programs that usually come with a few movies here and there, but for basic Contrast, Brightness, Color, Gamma, and Sharpness, I was able to utilize the settings on both the Display and Oppo.

My copies of The 5th Element and Arrival came in, and while I was expecting to see a much darker picture, reading about 4K information regarding Arrival suggests that the darker image for this movie may have been intentional. I accidentally purchased the Blu Ray of Ghost in the Shell rather than the UHD version, but I'll have a copy by tomorrow.

From a 2-channel perspective I've been enjoying listening to my Flac Library using the Oppo Media App on my phone. Similar to listening to music though just the Marantz Receiver, the Oppo is set to Pure Mode as well, with the TV off, and no displays appearing on the player and receiver. I've yet to try this method using the subwoofer connections between the Oppo and Marantz, plus no bass management is involved. Speakers are set to Large and Speaker+LFE is disabled on the Marantz.

19. RJ

RJ Member

I'm conflicted about it. On one hand, buying UHD BluRay is the way to get the best quality for video/sound. On the other hand, streaming is just so damn convenient and I don't have to deal with the clutter of having to store the discs.

I want one, but I don't. I also not sure if I want to buy the player, or try to roll a UHD HTPC.

I guess I'm too indecisive...

20. Jay Brown

UHD and HTPC don't mix. You may as well go the Roku route. As of now there is no sure fire means to rip UHD. The UHD drives are far and few, and encryption is a biggie. From at 10-ft perspective, HTPCs were great until the content services began to abandon the genre. Windows Media Center for example, no more Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Instant for this platform, plus you have to pretty much stick with Windows 7 to stick with WMC. Then there's Kodi and Plex, and with Kodi especially, while there are plenty of add-ons to choose, how long will the repositories last.

When it comes to 4k movies, physical discs are the best source for material. Anyone bragging that they downloaded a 4k movie is telling you a story.