1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Oppo Players

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by RJ, Jul 22, 2017.

1. RJ

RJ Member

Does anyone have the 4k Oppo player (203 or 205)?

From what I can tell the 205 is if you want better audio.

Is it really worth the money? Is the DAC in the 205 that much better than what you can get from a high end receiver?

2. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

I have a 203. You really can't judge something by the DAC chip used. Even expensive stand alone DACs use the same chips. The differences are usually in the analog output stage and the power supply (a receiver is likely to share power supplies for more than one function). I only have about 5 UHD movies. The player had to go back to Oppo twice (once the display stopped working and the other it froze in the middle of a firmware update) but their customer service is great (and of course they paid for all the shipping). The 205 also gives one a stand alone DAC with digital inputs. So, for example if one wanted to do a music server they could output it into the 205. The 205 to me is more for someone who wants a jack of all trades in addition to spins audio discs (vs. someone who may be more inclined to use file playback). Oppo seems to have worked out some of kinks on UHD playback vs. when the player was first out.

The 203 on file playback sounds better than past machines from Oppo (I have two 103Ds, one is used only for video in the main system and previously was used in the system where the 203 now sits and had been moved to the master bedroom which feeds the outdoor speaker and I do play music files from my NAS outside). I upgraded the main system DAC several months back (and in addition upgraded the file player) and took the DAC I had in there to a spare 2-channel system and took the DAC in that spare system and moved it to the same system where the 203 now sits. I have a Windows 10 music server in there that reads off my NAS. So the only use at this point I'd get from my 203 on file playback is multi-channel files which I might play once a year.

It depends on your timetable as well. When they were working on the 203, a Darbee 4k chip was not available. It is possible (who knows) when CES comes around in January (or CEDIA in September) that Oppo could announce a 203D. I was supposed to go to someone's house to hear the 205 around Memorial Day but was not feeling well. The verdict I got that vs. a stand alone older Sony ES CD player, the Sony was better at playing CDs (that's why I noted a jack of all trades earlier - yes it does lots of things but depends on what your goals are - if you want an all in one player to do everything, the 205 could be good for someone).

3. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Phil, I read somewhere that the 203 uses the same DAC as the Marantz SR7010. With that said, plus the information you have already given, would you prefer to use the DAC coming from the Player or receiver?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

4. Phil A

Jay, I have a Marantz 5010 in the same system as the Oppo 203. Not sure what DAC is used by 5010 (had a Marantz 6003 before that int he system with an Oppo 103D). That being said, most receivers as far as I'm aware piggyback the DAC off the DSP. So basically if you go thru the receiver you are dragging the signal thru a whole bunch of stuff. When I have played things thru the system (basically in the past as I have a DAC in the system now) via a disc or file from the Oppo, which has not been tons, since the system they are in is most often used for TV or home theater, it is from the Oppo to analog inputs on the receiver and under a direct (analog direct) mode. I do that with my old Onkyo 1008 in the bedroom system fed by an Oppo 103D when I listen to stuff on the outdoor speakers. Right now in that system I have a Sherbourn preamp (with HT Bypass) and an Emotiva XPA200. If I'm going to listen to music in there (and it is not tons as I consider it a third system), I have a music server and a Teac UD-501 DAC which has its analog outs going into the preamp.

5. RJ

RJ Member

Appreciate the info. I don't have physical disc for music, I buy lossless "Hi-Def" audio from HDTracks, and used to from PONO (Are there any other vendors out there?), so all music would be streamed from a file server/NAS.

So I'm trying to figure out if streaming straight to the receiver or if going through another component would be best.

I'm sure both units are the same for video quality?

6. Phil A

Yes - they have the same video quality. With Oppo, you also have the Oppo Media Control App which means you can play files without a display. When I use my outdoor speakers that's what I do. I turn the system on (I have those infrared repeaters with a sender and a receiver if I really want to control volume but usually I just set the volume and go outside) and then select files from my NAS (and I have almost 50,000 of them, many of which are hi-rez). I've also used a hard drive attached to an Oppo player with the Oppo Media Control App. I have my old BDP-93 (which can just do up to 192kHz - no DSD) upstairs with a hard drive with CD quality and hi-rez PCM files. I use the App up there too so I don't need to drag discs. I have the hard drive since it doesn't play DSD and I don't have to think about selecting a file and whether it will play or not. I've played around with a receiver that allowed for hi-rez file playback too. At least some of them have Apps too.

Yes - there are other vendors. For example Acoustic Sounds sells downloads too (and others like Linn Records and other cos.). I have a couple on my wishlist that are not on other sites. So I'll probably try one soon.

7. RJ

RJ Member

I might look into the 203 then. Have you seen anywhere that a new 203D is coming out, or are you speculating based on past releases?

Obviously I would want to hold for the new model if its coming :D

Right now, I'm undecided if I want a player, or a UHD drive for a PC.

8. Phil A

Just speculating. I read that Darbee was not going to be included (in the 203) as the (4k) chip was not ready when the player was being developed. I wanted a 4k system and 3D back-up system (have an Epson 5030 projector in the main system and a Sony 55 inch UHD TV where the 203 is located I sit about 7 feet from it).

9. Jay Brown

I pulled the trigger on the 203 this morning. I was contemplating on the 203 and an xbox 1x, but I don't game as much. I'm still hooked on 2-Channel Audio, and I'm hoping to get a great response out of this player. My Sony Blu Ray Player (BDP_S570) doesn't play well with my new Display because of the way my system is connected and I'm trying to keep my cable runs at a minimum.

10. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Just want to chime in about Oppo customer service. I bought a BDP 83 in 2010, and had trouble with the disk drawer about 6 or 7 years later. After a few e-mails and phone calls, Oppo told me to return it. I paid the return postage, but they fixed it free and paid the return shipping. Their limited warranty seems to be limited to the time you own the thing. Their products aren't cheap, but it's great to know that they stand behind what they make. I'm unlikely to upgrade as long as it keeps working, but all I can say is Bravissimo Oppo!

11. Phil A

When I returned my 203 for the second time I had a modded BDP-83 that had the drawer issue too. I took it apart last year and it worked for a bit but starting doing it again. I sent it back to them as well (just paid shipping one way) and they fixed it as well. I like the fact the 83 will pass full (up to 192kHz) audio resolution via the coax digital out so I can run it to my DAC. I may buy the Sgt Pepper deluxe set in a couple of weeks. So I put the 83 in the main system even though I have a 103D in there (just for video).

12. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Yes Phil, the 83 surprised me how great my CDs sounded when I got it. It replaced a Marantz multiplayer, which was a nice machine. The addition of th Cambridge receiver & the PSA 15 has been a musical treat.

13. Jay Brown

So is the preferred method of connecting an Oppo to your system is to have all of your components connected to the player first?

14. Phil A

I have all my Oppo players connected to the receiver first and then to the display/projector (except for the modded 83 which is in the main system just for audio (sending up to 192kHz to my DAC from the coax output of the Oppo_ and I have it going to an old computer monitor if I need to look at the menu. I have more than one HDMI source in every system and most are connected to the receiver (may have a Roku box or two in a couple of systems connected right to the TV but not systems I use all that much). Some have reported issues with UHD that were resolved via connecting the 203 directly to the display and then the other HDMI to the receiver for sound. Some of those were due to not having proper high speed HDMI cables.

15. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

According to Oppo, It is best to connect one HDMI output to one's receiver and the other to your display. This avoids handshake issues as well as old receiver issues.
    This has been covered a time or two on AVS Forum, and by Phil A in the preceding post.

16. Jay Brown

Besides the recommended HDMI configuration, anyone with an Oppo, new or old, using the Analog outputs from their player to the Analog inputs to their receivers. Just curious.

17. Phil A

Many moons back in the old house I had a Bryston SP1.7 pre/pro with no HDMI and I used my (Modwright) modded BDP-83 for both audio and video (and used it before the mod that way too). Still have the player and recently sent it back to Oppo for the sticky drawer problem. I have not used it yet but stuck it in the main system (have an Oppo 103D in there for video) as it will pass 192kHz from its coax digital output to my DAC (which will in turn upsample it to 8xDSD). I have a couple of concert videos with hi-rez 2 channel audio and will probably buy more stuff like that so it will get some use that way.

18. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

SOooooo Oppo 203 owners, What do you think about your 203? What do you like as a 4K BD demo disk?

19. Jay Brown

I eliminated my xbox360, TiVo Bolt, and Sony Bdp-S570 from my rack today in preparation for the new 203. I cleaned up the wiring as well and took a look at the connections on the back of the Marantz sr7010.
    As of now the only HDMI devices connected re the Nvidia Shield and my Sony 4K display. I have a 2-channel Amp connected to the right/left pre-outs of the receiver as well.

Last night I read the instructions manuals, Avsforum posts for the player, as well as a few YouTube videos for the 203 and 205. The more in-depth videos touted the 205's 2 ESS DACs and considered the use of the Analog Jacks connected to an Amp to use said DACS. So this is why I'm asking about using the Analog connections.

The 203 does not have the ESS DACS, nor the Headphone Amp which comes with the 205.

I have a few 92khz FLAC files stored on my NAS while the rest are at a lower resolution, and I did see that Plex's DLNA service did appear in the service menu on one of the Youtube videos I viewed.

I'm also curious how video Playback via Plex or if I can reach my NAS folders without the need of Plex. I did purchase some Power line Adapters (Netgear Powerline 1200) but it appears that my AC 5GHZ Wireless connection is faster and more reliable.

20. Phil A

As far as an audio player, playing files from the NAS (which I did when I first got it and I had a 103D in the system before that but I've since upgraded the main system music server and DAC and then rotated what was in there to a second audio system and then moved what I had in the second system to the room that now has the 203 - Windows 10 music server using JRIver and Teac UD-501 DAC which is better sounding than the Oppo 203 for music), it is the best of the entry level Oppos.

For video it is excellent, but when it was initially released it was really not ready for prime time. I'll have to re-visit my UHD discs (just have 5 of them). Thanks to Jay's tip, I put a bunch of Amazon Prime 4K mastered videos in my watch list and did watch one of them and it looked outstanding (but from Amazon was streamed in 1080p). Have not gotten to more as I've been busy tweaking the main system audio.