Old Birds

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by claud, Jan 31, 2018.

1. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Received my 1930S Pelikan 100N and my 1956 400NN today. One from Germany and one from Serbia. DSC_1900.JPG DSC_1899.JPG

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Fancy. I know nothing about the fountain pen as a hobby, do you use them, look at them, flip them???

3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

They are cool to write with, no pressure is needed and it's a wonderful feeling to just glide the nib over the paper.

If you don't write a lot (which keeps the ink flowing) the ink dries up inside and plugs up the pen and you get nothing.

Now back to ball points (with Fisher Space Pen Pressurized refills) They write all the time but you need a little pressure on your end.

4. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

I use them. I have about 3 to 4 inked daily. a black, a blue and sometimes a brown. I take one to work every day. When the ink runs out, I flush it out with wattle and pen flush and put it away for next time. It even makes paying bills enjoyable because I still mail checks for bills.

5. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

They are beautiful. The only writing I do for the most part of little notes/reminders by the PC so I get it done (and that's not tons). The only checks I write are for a local repair once in a blue moon. If I go to the store with a shopping list it is either a recipe I print out or I send myself an email on the smart phone.

6. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member War Zone Member

My father had a Waterman and a MontBlanc when I was growing up. He guarded them like a hawk, his reason that anyone else using them will change his personalized nib wear.

Hand writing is a lost art. We had hand handwriting classes kindergarden through perhaps fifth or sixth grade. The only hand writing I seem to do these days is scribble notes during a telecon, shopping list, and an occasional signature. Electronic signatures have largely replaced wet ink signature.

7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Found this place when looking for what I thought was an obsolete refill. Somebody must be writing or they wouldn't have the selection they do. some pens priced in the thousands.

Colorado Pen

8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member Top Poster

Top Poster Of Month

There is still a huge subculture. Goulet Pens is a recent start up that has gone from a guy and his wife to like 30 employees with an office and a warehouse. And it is ONLY fountain pens and stationary. They don't even sell rollerballs or other pens.