LOL - so true

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Jan 23, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member Top Poster

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

3. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

I agree:)

I only use the phone for email, text, calls, and apps (e.g. outdoor cameras attached to my DVR) that I find convenient. I have no desire to use it for movies or music - fine for a trailer.

4. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Must be a mature guy thing. I am exactly the same. Music is for iPods and DAPs. Movies are for theaters and largish TVs (55" +)

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I'll be back in that camp in a few years. But for right now I don't know how you old guys did kids without smart phones and wireless headphones. Rocking an infant at 3am is much more enjoyable with this tech ;)

6. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

yes, it is easier & some would say a crutch.
    I have quite a few Home School families who
    keep a tight rein on Tech devices. The other
    side to this is Many Private & Charter Schools
    which have all phones checked at the front door
    at 8am. They are bagged in a tamper proof bag.
    at 3PM the students get them back unlocked from the bag.

7. CJ

I too will make some exception (not usually for a movie but maybe an episode of TV). I had this argument with a coworker yesterday who routinely, year after year, streams the Oscar nominees from Asian and Russian pirate sites so he can see the major pictures before the Oscars. If a movie is newer these can be "cams" of the movie (shot with a recording device in the theater). I've argued with him several times that you can only see a film for the first time once and he's ruining the experience by watching them on a tablet from a crappy pirated source. He doesn't care.

It will be fascinating to see the ACTUAL impact of technology on the younger generation (not Facebook pseudo science posted by grumpy old people). My kids have access the their phones at all time. They take them school with them and the school doesn't take them or check them in. They are on their person all day. My oldest two just made distinguished honor roll and have perfect 4.0 GPAs. Letting your kids watch TV and YouTube doesn't make you a bad parent and banning your children from the outside world doesn't make you a good one.

8. DYohn

IMO "banning contact with the outside world" makes you a child abuser.

9. CJ

I meant banning in a loose sense... like no internet, not TV, no electronics at all... Maybe a bit hyperbole on my part and maybe a bit on yours but I do take issue with hyper protective parents. I've seen both casually, and pretty close to home, the outcome of conservative parenting that boarders on abuse.

DYohn likes this.
  10. DYohn

I agree (and yes I was being a bit over the top.) I've known families that ban TV and Internet and intereaction with the "outside world" and who "home school" their kids, then wonder what went wrong when they end up socially inept and can't handle relationships outside their (normally church-based) inner circles. One of my little brothers is doing that to his 9 kids ("Christian Identity" nutcase) and his oldest ended up a drunk in and out of jails as soon as she got away from the house. I shudder to think what will become of those kids...

11. CJ

Yep, in the worst cases I've seen this lead to drug abuse, prostitution, runaway resulting in homelessness, multiple imprisonments, and other issues later in life.

12. DYohn

It is sad what some people do to their kids...

13. CJ

My sister works in social services. There are plenty of people who are not at all religious that are so awful and abusive they should die in a fire... I also know some people who grew up ultra-religious/home schooled who are pretty well adjusted, BUT in many (not all) instances, sadly, the best case scenario is still fairly socially awkward and very closed minded while being superficially very kind and generous. That is not a great "best case" in my opinion.

DYohn likes this.
  14. DYohn

I know I come off that way sometimes but please understand I am NOT slamming all religion. But in my experience it seems more common among super-religious people.

CJ likes this.
  15. CJ

Agree and understand.

DYohn likes this.
  16. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Zeal, zealots etc.
    So many good & bad examples.
    Active and involved needn’t be helicopter or wacky

17. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

I'll see Lynch's assertion and raise him....You haven't heard the music if you listen to it on your phone. I see people all the time playing music on their phone...no ear buds or anything.

CJ likes this.
  18. CJ

Agree! And where you been man!?

19. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

I was getting laid off, fighting for my job, virtually creating a new job and then implementing my plan. Its lots of work making up a job. LOL

I have also been painting a lot. Something I had been ignoring for a year or so.

And...listening to music and watching movies as well.

Plus, I got a single Echo Dot for Christmas, and of course now i have 3 dots, an Echo and 20 something lights...same ol' obsessive shit :)

20. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I really could care less if people want to watch movies on a 5 inch screen. Go float your boat. I ain't gonna listen to music on earbuds either, I'd rather hear the world.

Not to mention the music plays in my head anyway w/o need of any electronics - :)

Speaking of boats, gonna be next year. Back to the river. No radio this time, no sound at all. I'll just listen to the river.

DYohn likes this.