Locking front hubs

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by Chris Slade, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

This is something I don't fully understand, I know what they do etc.

I have a 2018 F250 4x4 with a plow on it. This is my first truck with the manual locking front hubs. Truck is also shift on the fly 4x4. So I turn the knob in the truck when the hubs are in auto (I have never touched them) and she pops into 4x4. No doubt it is going into 4x4 I know what that feels like.

So when I plow with this truck often I have to cut the wheels pretty hard etc. and the front end seems to hop around a bit, I even understand why that is happening.

My question is am I operating this truck correctly when plowing? I can find no answer that I am positive is correct. Some people say lock them and leave the locked. Others say lock them when plowing or the will constantly disengage when reversing when plowing.... I am not sue that is even happening.

If just feels like I should be doing something different when I am plowing, I must be putting a fair amount of strain on the front end with the hopping etc.

Anyone understand this totally?

2. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Your front wheels should stay in auto and be engaged by the shift on the fly system. If you find yourself in a situation where you can't maintain enough forward momentum to cause the auto locks to engage, you should get out and manually engage your hubs. If your front wheels are scrubbing, then you're locked in. I would probably use manual a couple of times a year just to keep them moving under warranty.

Active four wheel drive should not disengage in reverse. When you shift out of 4hi to 2hi, it should unlock the front. If not, you can generally reverse a small bit and it will unlock. Your owners manual should describe the process.

I have no idea if you should plow in 2 or 4 wheel drive. You probably know that way better than me. Front end strain on scrubbing in my mind would go tire/wheel bearing. From the axles in I doubt it's causing any damage.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Snow plowing? I cannot help with your problem, it's just that coming from Texas I find it interesting to meet people who have seen snow.

4. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

;)funny....ya'all been thru Amarillo in January?

Seems Houston & San Antonio saw some white stuff

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Really? I've been snowed on in west Texas and the Panhandle many times. I guess you've never left the Gulf Coast?

6. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I've seen it. Just joshing. But snowed in? No, not even close. I have been "iced in" here in DFW multiple times though. Panhandle is totally different from here. And I did grow up in Houston. If it ever snowed down there when I was a kid I can't remember it. Bet it did once or twice.