1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Liquor Etagere

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Mike B, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Time to get rid of the ashes of the dead.

This etagere is from my deceased mother in law, she displayed her nick knacks on it.

27289807263_bb348c4182_z.jpg

It is a heavy well made item made of bent and welded steel. The shelves are thin regular window glass though, good for ornaments but not anything serious. The thing now has 2 cremation urns as well as nick knacks on it. Since I am planning to store say 40 bottles of booze on it the shelves needed to be stronger. So I cut some 18 inch diameter half inch thick plywood and got some open weave toolbox liner and put the glass on top;

27624133790_b3711b6034_z.jpg

Looks cool eh, sorta like carbon fiber. But there is no more raised lip to help keep the bottles from falling off the shelf.

I love the internet! Ordered up 4 of these;

http://glasstopsdirect.com/grey-glass-round-18.php

18 inch diameter tempered grey glass slabs a half inch thick. Yeah baby!

And 4 of these;

http://www.castercity.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=L3PB3X&ReturnTo=../cmL3-stem.htm

Cause this thing is gonna be heavy. The casters will also raise the thing 4 inches and make the bottom shelf easier to access.

Four shelves;

Top - Clears - Vodka, Gin, Tequlia, Rum
    Second - Whiskies - Bourbon, Rye, Scotch, Irish
    Third - Liqueurs & Brandies - Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Ouzo, Couvoisier, Galiano, Absinthe, Chambord, etc.
    Fourth - Big 1.75 liter Jugs for refilling the 750's

This is going to be cool. Easy access, easy to find a bottle and a serious display of a serious booze collection - :)

2. Rick C

Rick C Member

Nice! Have fun with your DIY

3. Mike B

Thanks! Kelly started it. She is trying her best to get me "de-cluttered" w/o pissing me off. She's good at it too - :)

She was thinking "bar" to organize all the booze and get rid of my shelves in the living room. Planted a seed so to say. I thought that the etagere could store a shit load of liquor and not take much floor space. Just needs stronger shelves. She thought so too, so that is the plan.

I got a "topper" for it, a real crystal ball off ebay. Not glass, a real "smoky quartz" crystal ball.

27833544261_4b27ec54bf_z.jpg

That should focus all the "universal mojo" powers on my booze to make it extra good - :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
  4. Mike B

I also ordered up a glass ball with a "moon finish" which is kinda cool. Looks "opal", some kind of special coating on ground glass it seems;

27911189041_a5cb8ffde9_z.jpg

The thing does look better with a "topper" - :)

Casters should be here Friday and the shelves just shipped today from NY, so late next week at best. Four boxes, 20 pounds each.

The crystal ball is coming from China, so who knows? Maybe I should look into my moon ball - :)

5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

So where do they each go...
    or are you one the fence as to which one
    will get top billing for Mojo focusing.

6. Mike B

I guess you didn't see the "shelf list" eh?

Which is arranged according to usage - :)

7. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Very nice as usual Mike, and a perfect reuse of a nice piece. The iron work is very nice and reminded me of something I saw in Barcelona. This is a window grate at the Palau Guell, one of Antoni Gaudi's master works. The curls on the top of your etagere are very well done.

22618189210_f9ee8df5b7_z_d.jpg

8. Mike B

Thanks!

It's kinda cool looking and very open with easy access from many angles which should make it well suited to the application. The casters are coming tomorrow and today I'll unload it and move it to it's new home which is close to the back door where I'll take it outside for a good clean up (soap & water) and drill those 3/8" holes for the casters. Those shelves in the living room need to come down anyway to paint the walls and this helps with that end too.

I looked these up on the internet and found that these big steel ones are not cheap. Well worth the cost of "upgrading"

9. Carl V

I saw the shelf order
    My question was about the Crystal VS the Moon Ball?
    Which goes to the top. Or does the crystal topper mean reusable Bottle topper/stopper.
    I am a little slow on the uptake

10. Mike B

Oh, sorry.

I ordered the crystal off ebay but don't expect it soon and then I found the moon ball which was local stock.

One or the other, both are kinda cool, both are 80 mm, dunno. Decisions, decisions...will have to wait and see what the crystal looks like.

11. Mike B

Serious casters;

28045696395_6883ce0fc1_z.jpg

Not so scary looking after paint eh?

28045696455_62e9a23875_z.jpg

In it's new home in the corner;

27943338372_6c1fe29ff9_z.jpg

The shelves should be here Thursday, bring on the shelves!

12. Carl V

looking good....paint the NUT & WASHER

13. Mike B

I painted the washer. I figured that if I painted the nut the wrench would take it off.

Go paint your own nuts - :)

14. Mike B

This is going to work well. There are 10 bottles on that shelf and it's not even crowded!

28030770802_87a8f08088_o.jpg

Just my plywood round for now, but my glass should be here tomorrow - :)

15. Mike B

Glass arrived;

27874582590_acebdc12d3_o.jpg

Very well packed, very nice product;

27540186954_a680f3f870_o.jpg

I'll pick up some window screen spline at the hardware store while out to lunch and install between the glass and the frame for a little "dampening" and centering. Then it's windex time and load the bottles!

16. Mike B

The Bar is Open!

What you think? Mikey likes it - :)

28127251206_a19400184c_o.jpg

A nice collection and lot's of room to grow;

28057424522_bd04166611_o.jpg

And just for you Carl (me too, I'm an engineer) heater hose nut covers that also serve to damp the leg "springs"

27546124263_488b76891b_o.jpg

Now drinking...a rum and coke of course. Kelly will be over tomorrow and we'll share a Hendrick's martini - :)

17. Rick C

Rick C Member

Looks great. Looks like it has plenty of "spirits". Now add the seismic strap to the corner so it is stable during the next set of California shakes. :)

18. Mike B

I've thought of that and even explored it a little. Securing the top ring to the window wall only is pretty good. Which would be pretty easy too.

If I did both walls it would be really good. Only 2 screws and 2 anchors and pretty invisible.

Not going to do it with the carpet though, when the hardwood is put in things will not shift vertical with weight.

19. Carl V

woo-hoo

lookin good in the neighborhood

20. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Wow Mike, I not only looks great, it works perfectly. Too bad you have to think about temblors.