1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Latest little furniture project

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Chris Slade, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

This is not finished yet, but you can get the general idea from this. The top is three maple beams with zebrano wood on the sides. The bottom I just fab'd up in the garage. Steel needs to be painted and wood secured to frame. Just have it sitting there like this to look at for a few days to see if I should and anything.

bench.jpg

2. Chris Slade

A matching pole type coat rack is next on the list I think.

3. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Very nice Chris, I really love the look. :2tu:

4. Chris Slade

Thanks. Not that hard to do really. The wood working was more work than anything else. Each beam is five maple boards stacked, then the zebrano on the sides. Cutting, clamping, and gluing all of that, then sanding and applying finish (which is probably not done yet) was really time consuming and not much fun. The flattest big work surface in our house is a stone topped kitchen island, so the clamping and gluing happened there.... my wife loved that.

5. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yeah I bet she loved it :no:

That is alot of work though and I applaud your labors. I like the zebra wood very much, it adds so much to the overall package.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

That's very nice.

7. Rick C

Rick C Member

Chris that looks great. I like the steel and old wheels look.

8. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Looks great.

Tell the truth though. Your wife saw something similar on Pintrest and said "Hey, make something like that!" :lol:

Geez I hate pinterest.

9. Chris Slade

No pinterest, I don't like it either. My wife has zero visualization skill. Even if I described something and show he a sketch she doesn't get it until she sees it. The wheels came from me searching old casters online... and I said no way am I paying for those. But these caster things I made are really just feet they are not functional.

Having said that do the right searches on youtube and you can find videos of almost any project or at least something similar.

This project came to me walking through the hardwood place I go to. I found that zebra wood and wanted to give using it a try. It is pricey, and too much is too much. So I came up with this so you would see the zebrano but not too much was needed.

The coat hanger thing will be the fourth piece in our house, and I suspect that will probably be enough of this stuff. So I'll have to give making something else a try.

10. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! Love the wheeled base. Did you make that too?

11. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Very nice and strong too. You could use it to park a car on.

Sweet!

12. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Nice! :tu:

13. Chris Slade

Yeah, I made the wheels too, I did not grow the trees, and I bought the steel in 10' lengths, other than that I did it. I painted it flat black on the weekend, secured the wood to the steel frame, and it is 100% complete and on to the next thing.

14. Chris Slade

I have this and two other pieces in the house. The other pieces are even beefier. I am pretty sure I could sit my house down on these with no foundation and it would be fine. Moving these things around is no small task.

15. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Gorgeous. Do you worry about cracking a tile with all that weight?

16. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Very nice work Chris. Before I read your last post I wondered what it must weigh. Steel and a load of maple and zebra must tip the scale at a big number. Can't wait to see the coat rack.

17. Chris Slade

I can pick the bench up and move it, but I would only hold it for maybe say 10 seconds.

I did think about cracking a tile, and thought it might happen, but it didn't. It is not really a major concern as replacing those tiles is on the list, although it is pretty far down.