1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

King Kong Skull Island

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Max Yokell, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

ok saw this last night in IMAX 3D

Hmm let's boil I'd down quickly it is King Kong without bringing him to New York. It is not going to win an Oscar but is populated with good actors. It is a B movie and relishes in it. It is a fun action/monster movie with a great soundtrack and some really nice visuals. The 3D was solid and not really gimmicky.Sam Jackson is his usual fun self, and Tom Hiddlson is your thoughtful hero, John Goodman and John C Riley are great in their roles and Brie Larson makes for a fetching damsel who isn't quite in distress. Very true to the Skull Island of the original.

It was incredibly fun and I I am guessing we are in for a really great summer of movies cause this seemed like a summer blockbuster so with a March release summer must be packed.

Should not be overlooked unless you just hate King Kong movies, must stay through the very long credits for an end credit scene that hints of some more fun to come.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Thanks for the review Max. Might wait for video on this since I see so few movies in the theater.

3. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

This could be a very good movie year if this trend continues. I didn't think I'd have as much fun with Kong as I did with Logan, but this movie was a complete joy from beginning to end. Hardly a dull moment, fun characters and intense movie monster action. Warner is doing a better job with their monster franchise than they are with the DC universe. The after credits sequence hinted at things to come.

See it in a theater with a big screen and bigger sound.

Oh, the new Dunkirk trailer before was exceptional.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Loved it, and if you stayed after all the credits rolled, that, was epic! This is a purchase for me for sure.

5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Normally indifferent to Kong movies, but kinda liked this one. Good popcorn flick, lotsa stuff gets blowed up, no climbing of high buildings, no overdone gore, and SLJ's arrogant badass got his. But, not a lot of rewatch and probably don't need to buy the disc. And shoud have read this thread before going as I did not stay for the credit roll and evidently missed a surprise. Oh, well, live and learn. Maybe.

edit: and a good job by the prop dept. on all the period correct stuff.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I don't remember if I stayed till the end credits. Probably not.

This was entertaining enough. Exactly what I needed to unwind after a long week at work. There were 1 or 2 monsters that didn't show up in the trailer, so that was good, there was at least something a bit unexpected in the movie that wasn't already revealed in the trailer. :) The "damsel in his palm" homage to the original was a nice touch.

7. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

For those that missed it.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Best part of the entire film was that ending, if, you grew up in the 80's, it feeds your inner child!

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I just watched this today. It felt kind of generic to me. I didn't hate it but I can't see rewatching it. The bass was insane though. Tons of ULF in this one.