1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Is it worth watching the original Mad Max trilogy at this point

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Aug 16, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I've never seen the original 3 Mad Max movies. All three have high meta ratings and I feel like they mark a milestone in the post-apocalypse genre. Make an argument for watching these for the first time in 2017.

2. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Good question. I've only seen bits of the first one, but all of the other two. IMO the best of them is # 2, The Road Warrior. It does stand on it's own. As I have not seen the new one, cannot judge for comparison.

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I have seen all three and will set aside my current feelings for Mel Gibson.

At the time of their release they were all pretty decent. Mad Max and Road Warrior were very similar movies and Thunder Dome is the most commercial. I have friends that still drop quotes from these movies.

Keep in mind they are from a different era when films were a little less jumpy and high paced. I would says sure you should watch them I would not say go buy them in Blue ray just stream them from somewhere lime Netflix.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Jason Lorette and CJ like this.
  4. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

First two yes. Thunder Dome is typical 80's summer movie fare and the most watered down.

CJ likes this.
  5. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Ditto.

6. CJ

I'll give them a whirl if I'm in the mood for this genre. In hindsight I'm not sure why I asked. I've got a queue of nearly 100 legitimately good movies I haven't gotten to. These are past Oscar winners or movies that received mutually high viewer and critic ratings on meta sites. Just not enough time in a day. I think I've always just been background aware of the series and I really liked Fury Road.

7. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I can't really say anything the others haven't...but I would definitely say they are worth watching.

8. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

cj are you tackling the AFI 100...the BFI 100 "must see" ?
    Curious about your list....care to share?

Do you recall Dr Chris White? he worked on the AFI 100
    as did I. I enjoyed most of the films. It was sorta like tackling
    Book lists for Literature Students. A to Z
    Dante Alighieri to Emile ZOLA

9. Blake

Blake Member War Zone Member

The first and second movie are essentially the same film -- Road Warrior has some actors that are easier to understand for us Yanks. I prefer Road Warrior. Thunderdome is trash.

10. CJ

No. I worked on the AFI list back in the HTT days when there was a decent chunk of people all doing it at once. I can post my watch list from a desktop browser later (replying from my phone).

11. CJ

This is roughly my current watch-list (CJ Paul’s Watchlist). Note the site allows you to mark movies that are barely in production so a decent chunk of the first page (not all) is movies with far out release dates. The back catalog is probably 3/4 of that list though.

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

If you can find the original version of Mad Max - the Australian version - it's a lot of fun. The release in Amerca is dubbed because Mel Gibson's accent is so think he can barely be understood. :)

13. CJ

I read something about that... I might see if I can find that.