1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Is anyone using bias lighting?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by CJ, Feb 13, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I remember bias lighting was getting a lot of buzz on A/V forums back in early 2000s. I know this because I bought a fluorescent light bar in 2001 and put it behind my TV. Then I think it kind of faded into obscurity until you started seeing some TVs with built in bias lighting. Sometimes it was color changing and sometimes it was a little more focused on the "effect" of having a blue or green or yellow back light than the fact that it was reflecting off the front wall and creating bias lighting.

Bias lighting is supposed to both reduce eye fatigue and increase the perceived contrast of your screen. And with modern technology there are now LED strips that stick to the back of your TV with double stick tape instead of the bulky fluorescent light I used nearly 20 years ago.

A quick search turned up this Amazon.com: Bias Lighting for HDTV USB Powered TV Backlighting, Home Theater Accent lighting Kit With Remote Control, Kohree 2 RGB Multi Color Led Light Strip (Reduce eye fatigue and increase image clarity): Electronics which is only $14. I might give it a go.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

I've played around with it a little but never committed to it and with the front projection system in the basement it would be difficult to setup without going full LED strips around the frame.

3. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

When I had my current tv calibrated back in 2013, the guy who did the calibration recommended the lighting. Ordered 2 light bars that I stuck on either side of the tv. Not sure if it decreased eye strain, but with a darkened room, using the lighting did seem to improve the picture. One of the lights broke when it fell off the back of the tv and I didn't want to pay the insane price that it would cost to get a replacement from the place in the US where I originally bought it.

Missed having the lighting and since I had bought some Philips Hue lights for the living room, I pick up two Philips Hue Blooms (think indoor flood lights that point up at about a 40 degree angle) that I placed behind the tv facing the living room walls on either side of the tv. Control everything (colour / intensity) from the ipad. I'm partial to a red/orange colour. Creates a nice ambience.

4. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I pulled the trigger on an IR controlled LED strips setup after posting this. I'll let you all know what I think.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  5. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

I actually use something along those lines for my computer setup, although the light is in an amiable fixture that washes the wall behind the monitors and the ceiling above the desk area. The end result is that I have soft indirect lighting in the room.

I have considered doing the LED strip behind the display in my HT setup but just haven't researched the desired parts yet. I'm interested in seeing how your setup works out for you CJ.

6. Rick C

Rick C Member

I have them installed for use behind my 70" LCD. They are not position for use with the projector and pull down screen.

I get no eye strain with or without it. They do add a bit to perceived contrast. I might remember to turn it on 25% of the time I use the LCD at night.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Oh, I should mention I have a TV with a retractable screen so my setup for something like this would be simpler than what I'm assuming @Andrew Pratt is talking about with around the frame.

@Rick C these are IR remote controlled so if I like the effect I'll build it into my macros on my remote to turn them on and off.

8. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yes CJ, they just might. I just recently installed the type of LED light strips you just mentioned and all was going well until I hit the pause button on my oppo. Suddenly the red lights turned blue, then white, then they started blinking all depending on which buttons I pushed. So depending on your gear and macros, they very well might cause issues. Also, these light strips do not cycle very dim because they cannot. Once they get to a certain point, they start to flash and then you have to turn the brightness back up. Very annoying.

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Brief follow-up. The kit I bought works and it works very well. I didn't encounter any problems with flicker or bad behavior by the lights but it is not conducive to my setup. The reason is, I have an open rack with tempered glass shelves. The bias light just creates too much reflection and and highlights stray cables too much. If you have a different setup and want to try bias lighting, the kit I bought works, it just really doesn't work in my setup.

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I use an up-light behind my screen so the equipment rack area is not illuminated.

11. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Linky?

12. Chris

Chris New Member

I picked up a Philips Hue light strip and stuck it to the back of the tv. It's cool to have different color options for lighting.
    Does it reduce eye strain? I haven't really noticed a difference, to be honest. But I like the effect.

CJ likes this.
  13. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I saw a really cool setup where someone had an acoustically transparent screen and speakers behind it and they put uplights behind the screen. It basically let them do the IMAX thing where you can turn them on and show people the speakers behind the screen. Not the same as bias lighting but it was a cool effect and was obviously built into the remote control system.

14. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Doing an install at a customers house once the main floor powder room had a translucent stone sink that underneath the counter top was wrapped with rope lights that closely matched the color of the stone. It was wired to the fairly dim overhead light so when you turned on the wall switch the sink glowed.

15. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

That's cool!

16. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Yeah, I thought it was so cool that when I was done I called the boss in to see it. He liked it too.

17. But still, if bias lightning worked, wouldn't they have it in theaters?
    I have never seen it, nor missed it, so I still prefer darkness, but that's just me ;)

Or is it supposed to work just with TVs, as opposed to screens illuminated by a projector?

Still sceptical, though ;)

18. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Bias Lighting is more effective when your monitor is smaller than your field
    of view. Whereas when you are in a Theater (home or Commercial) the Entire
    screen should be nearly your field of view. Related to this is the Brightness of
    your display Vs the Brightness being reflected back from the Screen. Allegedly,
    it helps with Eye Strain to have slight ambient/ bias lighting . ttbomk

19. RJ

RJ Member

I use bias lighting. I watch tv with zero lights on, and I find that a soft glow behind the tv helps with eye strain

20. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I have Bias Lighting as well but I don't use it as often, but everyone is right, it will help with Eye Strain.