1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Introduction

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Mikemusic, May 5, 2008.

1. Mikemusic

Mikemusic New Member

Well, you see my layout. How could I accomplish that? :confused:

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

In the water heater area, and/or in the space under the stairs. :)

Welcome to HTL.

3. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

Welcome...

It's all over but the cryin' now. Just go ahead and give up:)!

4. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Mike are these plans locked in stone because I may have a suggestion...if room would allow

Possibly move the bathroom to the opposite wall directly parallel to the water heater areas so that you pass 'between' the two areas into a 'larger' theater area, then as others suggeted you could place an IB in the water heater area.

Jason

5. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

What is the ceiling going to be? CJ has a pair of ceiling arrays in his basement. You could do a manifold or array on the bathroom wall facing the screen. Maybe on the bathroom door? Welcome to my pestering. I have a pretty massive one, but the guys with two 15"s love them. If you're building a special room and everything... :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  6. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Hey Michael, welcome. I'm a native Staten Islander, but moved to Jersey. My parents still live there. Glad you joined the mayham.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I wouldn't recommend an array in the ceiling to anyone else, having one myself. If you can't do a manifold in the ceiling, find somewhere else to put it.

8. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Why CJ?

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Vibrates every fixture in the ceiling and while any good sub is going to be heard and felt in the floor above having it physically attached to the floor joists has got to be worse. Basically its not well decoupled from the physical room and your bass is ultimately only as good as whatever is or is not rattling in the room.

10. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Thank you sir.

11. Mikemusic

Mikemusic New Member

Yeah, the plans are pretty much etched in stone...the house has already been built! You know, I was thinking about getting rid of the bathroom but my wife QUICKLY dismissed the idea. Well, I think she's got a point...we did spend a lot on the bathroom.

12. Mikemusic

Mikemusic New Member

OK, I have a noob question. Why the excitement over IBs?

13. Mikemusic

Mikemusic New Member

Hey John. I'm a native Brooklynite. I just moved to Staten Island about a year ago and I love it here. :clap:

14. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Ohhhh boy...you just opened a can o worms there...:blink:

Artie or Chad should be posting any second now...lol

15. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

IB subs are usually cheaper to implement than a similarly performing box sub, or, conversely, offer MUCH better performance (especially with respect to distortion and the lack of boom) than a similarly priced box sub.

16. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Hi Mike,

In that case, how long is the screen wall? None of the elevations show that dimension. If it is long enough and you're not planning on too many seats, perhaps consider rotating everything 90* left, so that the screen is on the same wall as the stairs and bathroom. That would provide a better 'sound space', IMO and also give easier access to the seating area. The equipment rack could go on the parallel wall of the bathroom, so it wouldn't actually be in the theater area. The rest of the space would then be available for a game or party room.

17. Timo

Timo New Member

If not too expensive

I have to agree with Jason- On the other hand, if that's where the water is (especially drains in basements- big dollars). I do think you are going to want to limit the size of the theater to include at most, part way past the bathroom (maybe put electronics in the back on the other side in a 'bump-out' to equal that out?). The room as is, is going to give you LOTS of problems or you are going to have to spend a lot of money on sound traps, etc. One thing to think about is that a smaller room means smaller speakers and smaller amps (less air to move) and better sound (in this case- long skinny rooms don't work ideally). Also, as someone else noted, the ceiling height could be an issue (and sound isolation always is- better to keep it in than absorb it, if that makes sense, because it increases the efficiency of the amps, in effect). Truth be told, I envy you the opportunity at any rate. You will love having the dedicated theater :clap::clap::clap:.

18. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Mike, a belated welcome from me too.

As to IB's, do a search on this and other sites, (especially Arties' thread here) then visit the "cult of the infinitely baffled" site and go through the photo gallery. Worth the read. I had what I thought was a really good box sub with a built in amp, and after some time I got tired of the big ugly box in the corner. When I built my IB, I was floored by the improvement in bass. Not louder, but fuller, tighter, and more able to follow the ups and downs of the frequencies being fed it. Box sub was sort of ok, but quite one note boomy. If you have the space, I highly recommended it.

Here's a link to the cult site photo gallery:

http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/page2IB-Gallery.html

19. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

OK, I somehow missed this, but I'd like to chime in. I've only been into HT for about 3 years, these guys here have been into it 3,5,10x longer than I, so I'm basically the newbie of the bunch. I started out with an Infinity 10" sub and I thought that was fantastic, and it was for me at that time. I always heard the forum members talking about quality bass, and I gleaned that it could not be had with the $300 piece that I was so proud of. On faith, I decided to take the plunge and went to an SVS sub, their top model at the time, with two 12" drivers. Man what a difference! It was strong, solid, and I realized that there were actually sounds to be heard in low bass , rather than the one note booms that the Infinity produced. Wow, what a revelation! I was impressed, so much so that I probably would have stuck with the SVS and been happy in my ignorance.

But... I got a set of Zu Druid speakers for music. The SVS could never "keep up" with the 101 efficiency Druids, so I looked into IB, because I heard that it would be higher efficiency and it seemed that most people who were seriously into this had IBs, and all of them said it was the be all and end all of low bass. I never heard a bad word about IB anywhere. So I took the plunge and did it. I'm paraplegic, so I had to learn all about it and explain the whole thing to someone else; I designed and he built. I went big because I'm already home :D. As far as I'm concerned, it's the highlight of my room. For music, drummers and bass player are in the room, and movies, HFS!!! That thing moves so much air that it presses the vertical blinds in my room flat against the windowsill when there's a bass heavy scene! You feel the bass in your body, and on all exposed skin you can feel the air move. I've said it before, if you're able to do IB and don't, you're cheating yourself. It has to be experienced to be believed!

I documented the building and installation here: http://hometheaterlounge.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1626

The Cult is an invaluable resource, join it just for fun...

20. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton Active Member

Hey Mike, welcome, welcome!

I've had my theater done for 3 months now and am LOVING it!

I concur with Dan. For sound isolation (keeping sound out of your theater) you might also then consider building a wall from the bathroom to the other long wall. Things to consider anyway.

Have fun man, I know I did. In the thread I linked to above, I talk about the sound isolation techniques I used. It's great not hearing the furnace or anything else in the theater.

...and yes, we are picture/drawing nuts. Keep em coming!