1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Drew Mitten, May 9, 2007.

1. Yarvis Torres

Yarvis Torres New Member

Hello all:
    I met an English gentleman a few weeks ago who gave me an education at all places in the Harley Davidson waiting lounge. My name is Yarvis Sean Torres, a New York Puerto Rican kid from The Bronx, transplanted on Staten Island now. It seems that Ian told me that my first name, which is very uncommon here in the U.S. is very common over the pond in England. My entire family while growing up always called me Jarvis (spelled with a Y though) and I believe it was always supposed to be pronounced with a J, but my parents placed a Y on the birth certificate. Of course Sean is self explained. In any event, enough of that rambling. I'm turning 42 this summer, I have been into car audio and audio since I was 15 or 16 years old. I was an avid car stereo competitor in the late 80's into the late 90's, and retired from the car audio competition scene first in my class in 1998. I am married almost 20 years and have 3 kids, ages 17, 10 and 8.
    I work for the MTA- NYC Transit in the Capital Construction dept working with outside contractors who have to work on or near the subway tracks and right of way. I own 2 motorcycles (my current fad) a 2001 BMW R1200c and a 2006 HD V-Rod night rod. I can't tell you what a great pleasure it is to ride on a early Sunday morning and to take in the smells and scenery. I look forward to some more education from you all. Good luck to you CJ, I'm sure this place will be as great as HTT was.

2. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard New Member

Thank you for doing what you are doing and return safely!

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

Amen!

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

OK, I'll play.

I'm a recovering HT Talker of Note. Currently an Exec for a large manufacturer of semiconductor capital equipment, my training is in electronics and communications. I have a diverse background ranging through the music and recording industry, broadcast radio and television, several consumer electronics manufacturers and two years as an Exec. Producer for major and minor studios in Hollywood. I also was a part-time professor at a couple California Universities during the 90's after Hollywood kicked me out, was an R&D consultant and system designer for a few major sound-related companies, a system designer for some Silly Con Valley high-tech and computer firms, and I've always been a wannabe musician. I spent almost 10 years in the Navy when I was young and much more macho. Born in Hannibal Missouri, a good place to be from, I now live in the beautiful San Francisco Bay Area - which is full, no more room, do not move here. I serve at the pleasure of the Forum Admin as your token Ojibwa half-breed.

My name is David Yohn. You killed my father, prepare to die.
    8)

5. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Hi - My name is Greg from Conneticut where I live with my wife and Son of 11 years and an old cocker spaniel. I've been an audio freak since the age of 14 and have toyed with two channel and HT ever since. Whilel not listening to music, I have a great time boating, fishing, playing guitar 68 Strat reissue and Gibson Blues Hawk, working on my Alfa Spider and perfecting the art of mixing Vesper's. Finally, I am the SVP of data analysis and modelling for a major direct marketing company..in my spare time...

As far as music goes, I really enjoy:

Progressive Rock - Rush, Tull, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Porcupine Tree

Classic Rock - Who, Clapton, Cream

Blues - All I can get my hands on

Girl Rock - Aimee Mann,

thanks and enjoy!

6. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

Triumph, Seinfeld and Zombies...you and I should be best friends!!!!

Wow...Triumph and Dream Theater all in the same post? Who'd a Thunk It!!!
    LOVE Porcupine Tree as well...can't wait for the DVD-A version of the new album. Talk about well mixed 5.1 audio!

Current Fav Guitarist would be Mr. John Petrucci. In fact, I'm eagerly anticipating the delivery of a Pearl Redburst Music Man JP6 and the wait is killing me.

You know Dream Theater is releasing their new album in early June don't you?

7. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston New Member

Jack and Buzz,

Thanks! I will do my best, and I'll stay in touch.

8. RicP

RicP New Member

Just thought I'd drop in and say "Howdy."

Nice place you got here!

Great Job CJ!

How's everyone been? 8)

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Ric:

Nice to see you, amigo. What have you been up to? Penned any new books or articles?

Larry

10. RicP

RicP New Member

Hi Larry, good to see you! :)

Nothing new since the Devils Book. Turned careers slightly a few years ago, decided to get my MBA and follow the "executive" track. Still writing, though these days it's mostly white papers. :)

11. Holy Crap! RicP is here too! When did we step through the wormhole? This is like old-home week. :)

All we need now are these guys:
    Old Turkey Logo
    NOT! :shock: :lol:

12. RicP

RicP New Member

Hi John! Long Time..... :)

How's tricks?

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

You should see some of the beautiful woman I date. Bewilders me on a daily basis...

14. Yeah... we SHOULD see them... but then again, we can't see your imagination? :)

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

LOL. Have you seen the movie "Simone"? ;)

16. Simone.... no? Please advise.

17. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

18. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair New Member

My name is Michael St. Clair, most people call me Mike but I have a tendency to use my full name when registering at sites that like a real name. You'll find me under the same name at HTT/AVS/HTF/SH.tv and some other sites, and some of you already know me.

I've been into HT for close to a couple of decades now and was a big laserdisc guy and still have too many of those giant platters (and a few that I'm damned glad to still have). I'm 39 years old, live in Cincinnati with my lovely wife Angi, and work in software/IS and have for my entire 18-year career.

I do love a good hike and snorkeling but most of my hobby time is indoors with HT and also video gaming. I run a gaming site that we modeled somewhat after HTT and succeeded in attracting adult members (rare for a videogame forum) and managing to keep moderation to a bare minimum. We've got people gaming online most nights of the year, come by if you want a longer friends list. I'll post a notice about HTL opening up over there, 95% of our members are into HT and our oldest members met at the gaming areas of sites like HTF.

It's nice to be here and I look forward to trying to contribute to the discussion in a productive manner. :)

19. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Hello, my name is Jay Brown and I live in Southeast Georgia, orginally from the Jersey Shore. I work as a PC/Network Technician for a small school system. I have a 7 year old son and he's on this "Cars" trip right now. Last year it was "The Incredibles", and he loves "The Phantom Menace". My first love is music and I've been playing the piano since 1983, self taught.

I caught the Home Theater bug in '02 while watching "Lord of the Rings:FOTR" one sunday afternoon and got bored. So I took my Aiwa shelftop system from my bedroom and connected it to my DVD player and wallahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! The next day I was looking on line for speakers, components, just basic information which brought me to Hometheatertalk.com. I knew there were tons of audiophile sites around but this is the site that introduced me to the world of Home Theaters. I was impressed with reading comments from such knowledeable members of the forum.

Being a newbie I fell into the "newbie hole" by asking that infamous question that I read once in a blue moon. "Toslink or Digital Coax?". Let the games begin, lol.

I have a basic starter hometheater and working on finally getting an LCD this summer to finish off Phase 1 of my system.

I enjoy watching Sci-Fi, anything with Dinero, comedies, etc, etc.

I love Jazz, Funk//Fusion from the 70s, Return to Forever, The Headhunters, Donald Byrd, Mizelle Brothers, Gamble and Huff productions from Philly International, Hip Hop, House, 70s rock.

I hope to learn more and contribute to this new forum. You guys know your stuff!!

20. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

OK, my turn. I retired about a year and a half ago after working for the National Archives in New York for 35 years. It was a great gig for all but the last year. I got to handle amazing documents including the Rosenberg and Hiss case files, Brooklyn Navy Yard documents from the 19th century, genealogical records like the NY passenger arrival lists and naturalization records back to 1790. I got to meet many interesting, and not so interesting researchers working on articles, books, dissertations and family histories. I worked closely with the Park Service at Ellis Island, and got to serve on Christie Whitman?s Ellis Island committee when it became mostly New Jersey. I now work part-time as the county archivist for Union County, NJ.

I have a frugal, but very nice HT rig with a projector, and an OTA HDTV receiver forcing way too much couch time. Other pastimes include golf, woodworking, and a little cycling. I?m very happy that CJ picked up the gauntlet. I made way too many friends at Mike?s place, and don?t want to loose them. I don?t post much, but I can read OK. I?ve grown to depend on all of you to tell me why one piece of equipment or another starts misbehaving. I look forward to the success of this place, and wish CJ the best.