1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

I really Do Learn Something New Every Day

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Dan Driscoll, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

This article was written about privacy concerns when traveling with a smart device or laptop, but I am sure would apply in many other situations, as well.

Today I learned that when you cross a border you haven't really 'entered' a country until you pass thru customs and border control. So if you fly into New York from Rome you are not legally considered to be on US territory until you have passed thru Customs and Border Control. That part I did know. What I didn't know and the point of the article is that even if you are a US citizen you are not covered by Constitutional protections until your passport has been stamped. I have flown internationally quite a few times and until today was not aware of this. It's also contradictory, because you are still subject to civil & criminal laws of that nation while in the customs holding area.

Article Link

2. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

I instinctively knew that but good to have conformation.

3. Dan Driscoll

I was shocked to learn that Constitutional protections do not apply the US citizens on the wrong side of the customs checkpoint. It is still US territory and US law applies, so I do not understand why the Bill Of Rights would not.

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

If it ever impacts the right person it will become a case for The Supremes.

5. DYohn

By the same logic you are not on US territory at an embassy unless you're granted entry past the front desk.

6. Dan Driscoll

I've spent a lot of time out of the US, but have never visited an embassy. But I thought you were on US territory once you passed thru the entry gate or door? Whose laws apply in the space between the entry and the front desk? Have the guards and diplomatic corps or visitors left US territory if they step out past the desk? Or is this another legal fiction where US law still applies, but only if the embassy wants it to?

7. DYohn

I suspect the legal fiction statement is closest to the truth. It's all legal fiction though, isn't it?