1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Going Solar (goodbye SCE)

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Ron-P, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

The interior light that comes on with my garage door opener is radio controlled by the same rf remotes. It plugs into any standard 110v outlet. Incandescents work fine in it, CFL's do not work at all, but LED's work just fine.

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yes they do - :)

A lot better than filament bulbs as the vibration from the opener used to kill those every 4 months, even the heavy duty ones. That LED I put in there 4 years ago is still working great!

3. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

Got my site survey done today with Solar City. Seems like I will make out on this so far so good. Taking a leap of faith but better than doing nothing.

4. Mike B

If you pay a high energy rate you will do real well. Here in CA it's amazing, you have "baseline" (low rate) and 3 tiers after that.

Even with my "top dollar" one bid system I look at breakeven in 7 years and damn near free power after that. Yup, now's the time I think the Federal tax credits are phasing down in 2019.

5. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

I'm hoping I generate enough to cash in the SREC's that my bill basically goes down to nothing.

6. Mike B

How big did you size it wrt your last years usage?

7. Mike B

On line now for 6 months and they are the "short half" of the year autumn (9/21/16) to spring (3/20/17);

33446423361_cdcf737ec0_o.jpg

Looking forward to the "fat half" coming up next and my first annual true up bill. Not to mention we've had a very wet and rainy season here when this was done!

Rick C likes this.
  8. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Nice graph. Clearly shows the rainy days. Here's mine since the system went on line, which demonstrates how many hours of sunlight are in a day more than anything else.

chart.png

9. Mike B

Yeah it really shows the effect of the earth's tilt and simple harmonic motion.

DYohn likes this.
  10. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Just filed for my 30% tax credit. Sadly, with all my other write-off's I was only able to claim $5,200 of the $6,300 total credit. But, I can roll that other $1,200 over to the 2017 year taxes.

11. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I read about those. Considering how their home batteries didn't go so well out of the gate something like this will be years off for me. Plus, there's portions of my roof that doesn't see sun so it'd be a waste to put solar tiles in those aresa. Will Tesla offer matching tiles that aren't solar? Will each tile be like my panels with the microinverters built in? What's the warranty like? Lot's to look and research before jumping on board with some new tech like this. Even if I hadn't already gone solar, I'd wait a good 10 years to see how these Tesla panels preform and lasted.

13. Mike B

I stacked a 2 dollar credit last month. Lotta sun, no AC. I'll stack some more this month and then the AC will work it down a bit I'm sure. Up here PG&E gives you additional incentive to not over size your system. If your bill at true up is less than $120 (10 bucks a month connect fee) you don't get full credit. If over $120 you get full credit. If you generate more than you use (they owe you dough) you get no credit.

Right now my true up amount is $79. A hundred forty in charges and sixty one (minimum delivery charge) credited back. Yup 6 months of electricity for a whole eighty bucks! Pretty cool - :)

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

It's very cool considering I was paying SCE and now they'll be paying me. I pay the $10 a month and they pay me .04 per Kw no matter how much extra I generate. I haven't checked to see where I stand as of yet but my one year true-up is coming in May.

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I just checked my statement for the month of March, 878 kWh. My average use it less then 700, so as of now I am way over producing which should, hopefully, get me a decent check back from SCE.

16. Mike B

You would have to generate an extra 3000 kWh a year to even get your 120 bucks back.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Actually, my .04 was wrong, I just looked it up and SCE pays .09 per kWh, so, that changes things for the much better.

18. Mike B

According to this, it's two and a half cents.

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Yep, I followed up with Edison and your right. That kWh price was from an old thread I read and not accurate.

My friend who has his own solar company just landed his first Tesla full roof and 10 battery project.

The roof is 4000sf, Tesla does not offer non-solar matching shingles so if you want your roof to match, even the fully shaded sides, you have to install solar shingles (now that's a rip off company).

The cost of the materials to cover his entire roof and 10 batteries is just over 200k. That's $50sf. That does not include his install price so it's going to be even higher.

Love Teslas idea here but They are hell bent on ripping their customers off.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

20. Mike B

You could do say half the roof with solar shingles and half with regular (upscale nice)

I wouldn't pay for solar in the shade, but hey, the guy has mega-bucks eh?