1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Garage Stereo

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Mike B, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

This is the only amp I've ever had problems with and I've built 5 so far. All the Bottlehead stuff worked w/o blowing anything up and so did the Elekit as well as that K12G above.

The ST120 puked the rectifier within an hour and some shit happened with the KT88 swap as soon as the thing started conducting. But this amp also has a lot more power and a lot more voltage. First time I ever saw a resistor blow w/o any outside signs at all. No smoke, no cracked case, not even discolored in any way. Looks fine from the outside, just measures 6.8 meg.

I'll hang with this until the resistors arrive. Got them from some outfit in WA via ebay, so should be here soon.

Also upgraded my head unit, might as well put in a good source eh? Ordered up an Alpine CDE-HD149BT, has HD radio too - :)

2. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Just got word that a couple heavy boxes were delivered today. Hmm wonder what's in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mike B

Cool. They hit the promised date!

You've got enough power there to get to concert levels - :)

4. Mike B

Redid the garage sub. The Quattro went bye-bye and a Morel MW 1254 took it's place. Why such an obscure driver? It was the only one I found who's parameters matched the existing box.

But a new baffle was needed as the cutout was much smaller, so I cut the old baffle off;

36420937356_f75b80eb15_o.jpg

And glued the new baffle on with a face board too;

36420937296_ee25f841c8_o.jpg

That carbon fiber is sexy. Used one of those auto sound "bar grilles" so I won't have rattles like the old perf metal one made, and here it is back home in the rafters;

36420937366_cce63ccb51_o.jpg

Onward and upward - :)

Denton and Jack like this.
  5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

looking good
    That is a nice driver
    A certain Tennessee High End Speaker Mfg.,
    egglestonWorks Such as his SAVOY,
    uses that line of drivers often in an isobaric
    configuration...Mids too!

I see some Adire 10.1 HE in the rafters as well.
    Didn't swap out the tweeter & XO?

6. Mike B

It sounds good. A little less sensitive than the quattro, a little smoother. Now that the weather is getting cooler I'm going to be out there more. Gotta get rid of 1 motorcycle and put the pinball machine in there. That Alpine head unit sounds better than the Pioneer.