1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Finishing up my Paulk Bench and putting it to work.

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Dustin B, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

Well not really finishing, will always be things to tweak or add.

Basic table saw sled
    IMG_20151229_225231431.jpg

Which was used to build a stop for the cross cut jig
    IMG_20160101_171548463_HDR.jpg

Got that done so I could finally get started on some much needed garage cabinets.

Easily and squarely crosscutting 4' sheets was pretty sweet
    IMG_20160102_092333358.jpg

Replaced the rip sizer with a UEG and it works much better for ripping
    IMG_20160102_122950401_HDR.jpg

10 hours, 7 3/4" sheets, 12 1/2" sheets, 2 1/4" sheets and 370 parts later
    IMG_20160102_194325935.jpg

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Now you can build speakers too!

3. Dustin B

I sure hope some SEOS kits are in my not too distant future :p

4. Rick C

Rick C Member

Nice job! Looks like a great workspace.

I have been working to build a new garage workspace. Our old home in NY had a big basement. Part of the California downsize is no basement so the workspace is now shared with the cars. Lots of plywood cutting to build this workspace and storage. Next up for me is to build a cabinet for the audio equipment in the loft.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2016
  5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

Damn Dustin, I'm jealous! I was just looking at the Paulk bench the other day. I really wish I had a workspace like I did before.

6. Dustin B

Rick those cabinets are way too pretty for a garage workspace :p

7. Eric

Eric Active Member

Yeah, I REALLY wish I had space for a dedicated shop. But I'm sharing in the garage with one of the cars. It's painful.

Always a work in progress....long way to go. A track saw is on my list for this year.

Last year I built a couple of cabinets. Over the holiday I added some peg board (three separate layers, the outer two slide side to side and are half as wide) under the two shorter cabinets between the taller ones. Finished up the storage shelf on the top of the cabinets.

IMG_1040_zpsq8eay48n.jpg

IMG_1039_zpsk3uikz91.jpg

8. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Isn't that what Ian Anderson was sitting on? Oh it is some woodworking thingie....

9. Dustin B

IMG_20160128_222736810.jpg

I'm definitely sick of assembling drawers. 32 down, 0 to go. Completion is in site. Hopefully sometime next week.

10. Rick C

Rick C Member

Wow! That's a lot of work. They look great.

11. Dustin B

Making progress.

IMG_20160207_232448151.jpg
    IMG_20160209_233000694.jpg

12. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Nice work Dustin, that's a load of storage space. You guys are all too neat. I'd be embarrassed to post a photo of my shop.

13. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

14. Dustin B

I think you'd pointed me there before but I've resisted getting sucked down the rabbit hole further ;)

15. Dustin B

IMG_20151226_122628307.jpg

I'm under the delusion that these additions and a few other plans will prevent the above from being it's typical state.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
  16. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

That's more like it!!!

17. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

The only reason I mention it is because I saw your drills up there in slots and he built a pretty cool drawer that was the same size as his base cabinets (but thin) and he had hangers in there for all his cordless drills/dremels/saws. He'd slide the base out and they were all nested in. It was a great idea for someone who can work in wood. All my benches are steel so I'm thinking about stealing this guys PVC setup (credit to NakeDiesel over there):

15132702644_fa44d72ed3_b.jpg

He painted the entire thing black and it looked great!

Something similar with air tools on couplers:

15853745772_7eb068c5da_b.jpg

But yea, it's a rabbit hole over there. :laugh:

18. Dustin B

Who's the he you are talking about with the slide out drawer?

I'm planning on putting a couple layers of narrow shelving between the slotted hanging cabinet and the pegboard. Will have my battery charger, defined space for charged batteries and defined space for batteries that need to be charged. likely put something on the bottom to hold my main two cordless drills. Everything else except for the router and the circular saw on the UEG will be doing in that hanging cabinet. At least until I run out of room :p

19. Rick C

Rick C Member

I pretty much now have a place for everything. Unfortunately once I get involved in a project I can't get out of the habit of "use the tool then drop it wherever I can because I will use it again soon". In short order my table has tools everyplace and requires a post project cleanup. Old habits die hard.

20. Dustin B

Finally got part of the miter saw stand built. Also spend 2 days cleaning out and organizing the garage first. Filled our garbage and recycling bins and I still hauled 260kg to the dump in my little utility trailer.

620a518435826caac39c4233e8d2c876.jpg

Rolling cart stand is a little tall and ungainly (still have to build extension wings and saw horses like the big bench uses for it). But the second picture shows why it looks like it does.

8ed109723bac1585768c399424afec23.jpg

The drawers are all finally organized and labelled. Massive improvement. Also got rid of the chalkboard that never got used and replaced it with a storage net.

904806afdbe66c633fea081619c43e68.jpg

And the unfinished table in the middle of the garage is a table for my Primo Oval XL grill. I've only needed one for 9 years :p

Getting close to it being how I want. Next up is the dust collection and electrical improvements so hooking up tools is faster and easier. Currently the shopvac really ends up in the way and running the hose up to the garage door rails doesn't work that well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Rick C likes this.