1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Everything that's wrong with 'everything that's wrong with' YouTube film critiques

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Aug 18, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Funny enough, I stumbled onto Cinema Sins after finding several of the movie YouTube channels I've mentioned in another thread. I've admittedly watched a few of their videos but at one point clicked on a video of one of my favorite movies (I can't remember which one now). About three minutes in I stopped the video, unsubscribed from the channel and haven't watched one since. This article just absolutely nails why. Basically what you find is they seem to maintain a checklist of about 200 "sins" from continuity to exposition to just picking random cliches and just randomly pick and ascribe 80-150 of them depending on the popularity and actual quality of the film. The problem with this method is you can literally find 80 of these so-called sins in a legit, classic, Oscar winning (one of the actual worthy ones) film.

I do think they miss the mark on speculating M.O. This channel doesn't hate movies, they love money. They have 7 million subscribers and 2 BILLION total views. 1-2M views seems to be average for a "critique" of any popular film.

Everything that's wrong with 'everything that's wrong with' YouTube film critiques

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Nice article. The end sums it. This is our culture. Aspire to celebrity, and denigrate those who have it. If you succeed at either, you win at life.

CJ likes this.
  3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

It's a fine line for sure. Cinema Sins can be "fun" to watch but understand that you're just watching for the goofs. I like reading the goofs and trivia on the IMDB page, too, but it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie.

Other channels, such as Red Letter Media, are brutal with their take downs. But they only do it to movies they feel should be lambasted, even if you don't agree with them. To say they're not a fan of the Star Wars prequels (and the newer ones for that matter) the 2016 Ghostbusters, or many many others would be an understatement. But they also have a Best of the Worst feature where they watch 3 terrible B movies and talk about what's good about them as well. Someone who likes a movie that RLM doesn't would call them out for "hating movies" as well, but I find that I really like their critiques even if I don't agree with them. And they're also going to praise movies that they feel are worthy, even if they have problems.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

...and that is further the rub for me. RLM and others are seeing dreck films and doing well done takedowns with some humor. Cinema Sins is just doing every film that is released and thus all the criticisms are just generic and identical.