1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Dunkirk (2017)

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, May 12, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'm hearing good things about this one so far. Could be good. Releases July 21st.

2. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I saw the trailer at the theater...looks like Nolan at his finest. I'm intrigued for sure.

3. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Looks good...but why the summer release?

4. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Good question. Seems not like the kind of film to battle against super hero and other summer blockbusters.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

It looks good but if it's another 3 hour film, I'm out, a rental instead. I haven't found a film of his so far that deserves the run times he gives them.

6. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

7. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Some movies are more like experiences than stories. "Dunkirk" is one of those. Intense but minimally plotted. Worth seeing on the big screen.

8. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

It's on my have to see list. Heard first hand experiences from a distant uncle, he was a field doctor during WW2. I also heard stories about his experiences in Libyan cities like Tobruk, Benghazi, Sirt, etc. he was in Gen. Montgomery's Africa core. All those names came back to me with the Libyan civil war.

9. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Saw this one Saturday afternoon and enjoyed it. If you want a movie with well developed characters or even somewhat developed characters that you might have some emotional connection to, this isn't a movie for you. If you wanted something that would accurately portray the scale of the evacuation, this isn't for you.

If you read a bit about the evacuation of Dunkirk and can identify aircraft livery from WW2 it's fairly easy to follow. My wife did not and didn't follow the movie very well.

On the plus side, I thought the pacing was great, the cinematography was great, the score was fantastic and it was visually the best WW2 movie I've ever seen. I'll wait for everyone else to give it a watch before I say any more.

10. Carl V

Hope to see it today

11. Carl V

Saw it
    in an IMAX theater---LOUD & intense.
    I had a choice of Std,. 70mm, or IMAX

I don't see it following in the Foot Steps of Saving Private Ryan.
    Nominations yes. Awards I don't know.

Why did the RAF pilot not land on his secure beach or in the damn water near his own ships

12. nolan

nolan New Member

I'm sure I'm biased as I am the biggest Nolan fan around, but Dunkirk really is a masterpiece.

I don't see the point in comparing it to Saving Private Ryan though. Both are fantastic movies, each in their own, unique way.

13. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I still haven't seen this one. It sounds like you and I have similar tastes in films though.

14. Jake Tillerson

Jake Tillerson New Member

The only comparison I'd make to Saving Private Ryan is that it isn't as bloody or likely to send someone who deals with PTSD into as much of a tailspin. It is an interesting story to tell and it's pretty easy to see why Nolan wants people to see it in the movie theater.

CJ likes this.
  15. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Did you see Hawksaw Ridge? Any comparison there?

16. Blake

Blake Member War Zone Member

Late to the party -- story of my life I guess. We saw this opening weekend (my oldest son and I, he's 9 and just starting to get interested in non-kid movies). We royally fucked up and saw it on a 70mm IMAX dome. Frankly I don't understand how any human would subject themselves to the dome experience for a film not shot that way.

The only movies I see in the theater any more are the typical blockbusters, taking either one or both of my sons. I haven't been in an IMAX theater in more than a decade. The audio was spectacular. The center of the image looked great, more than 20 degrees off center and it was like I needed to redo my lasik.

I liked the movie -- I'm not a Nolan fanboy but I loved the lack of narrative -- forced you to fill in whatever blanks there were. I'd give it a 7 - 7-1/2 out of 10. It was one of the better war movies of the last 20 years for sure. Completely different film that SPR -- they share a genre and the fact that they are movies -- really nothing else.

17. Carl V

ew, IMAX dome for Dunkirk.:rolleyes:
    Dome Movies are hit or miss
    unless as you said, they were
    purposely shot for that venue.:cool:

18. Jake Tillerson

Jake Tillerson New Member

I didn't see Hacksaw Ridge yet. I've heard good things from buddies though.

CJ likes this.