1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Double Ahem

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by murrayb, Aug 7, 2017.

1. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

This past Friday I pulled the trigger on 2 significant upgrades to the HT system - an LG OLED 65B7 (didn't need / want the sound bar on the E7) and an Anthem AVM 60 processor. Spent the last couple of days moving tvs around in the house, re-configuring remotes, reading manuals and getting the LG and the AVM setup. Finally have everything setup (although I still have some Monoprice certified high speed cables coming) and sitting here smiling.

As MikeB has said, the picture on the OLED is simply amazing. It does a tremendous job of up-converting 1080p signals. I thought the picture on my Panasonic plasma was great, but the OLED blows it away. Running a 4K signal via Netflix and the picture is even better than the upconverted 1080p. Watching Ozark on Netflix and may have to re-watch the last episode as I think spent more time looking in amazement at the dimples in concrete, bark on trees, etc., than I did paying attention to the actual episode. Even the Better Half is amazed with the picture and gave the thumbs up to the purchase. I was going to hold out until Black Friday, but LG had lowered the price and then my dealer knocked another $300 off of it taking it to what I figured the Black Friday price would be.

I debated about whether or not to get the AVM as I had the Anthem D2v and loved it and was concerned that the AVM would not sound as good. The convenience of the AVM being able to handle 4k signals made me decide to go with it. Glad I did as I think the AVM sounds as good and maybe better than the D2v for both tv/movies and music; although I recognize that it might be a case of new purchase sounding better syndrome.
    Icing on the cake was putting the D2v up for sale on Canuck Audio Mart yesterday afternoon, getting a response less than 10 minutes after placing the ad and having the purchaser come by the house about an hour and half later to pick it up. That sale basically paid for the AVM.

Only downside on the AVM is that it doesn't have XLR inputs for components, which is how I had my Dac hooked up to the D2v; but that's just a minor quibble.

If you are on the fence about getting an OLED, I'd say jump off it and go get one. Even if you don't have many (or any) 4K sources, it is a definite upgrade over the non-4K tvs.

2. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Congrats on the purchases. I'm sure you will get lots of enjoyment from them.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Nice upgrade! I think you'll really come to like the AVM 60. Its really a digital HT preamp so they cut out a lot of extra inputs vs. the previous generation Anthem pre/pro. Of course they were able to cut the price significantly as well.

4. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

See what you did Mikey B!!!!! You got all of us upgrading our HTs to 4K and OLED in most cases. I missed or did not miss 3D and its already gone. I guess I am a sucker for higher resolution rather than gimmicks. MurrayB, did you think about the 77 incher??? It is a beaut but the price just ain't right. If it was 6 or 7 thou, it would almost be an object of lust. They had one at my Best Buy. Is that where you bought yours?? Starting Sunday there was $1000 off and a free $300 Best Buy gift card.
    I too am coming from a Panny Plasma V series. Looking back in our posts, I got 7.5 years out of mine, and it still has a good picture. I'm giving it to my son for his gaming system.

5. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Does the TV need calibrating, out of the box?

6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

New toys! Always a good thing. But as for me, MUST RESIST, MUST RESIST, MUST RESIST.........

capsuleri likes this.
  7. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Nice. I am so jealous--in a good way--I haven't upgraded in forever.

8. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Claude, I got the tv at an independent stereo/HT dealer. Like to support local companies than the Best Buys of the world. I've quite a bit of stuff from them over the years and suspect that helped in their giving me a better price than Best Buy, who wouldn't move off their stated price. As for the 77 incher, I did think about it but it was a short thought process as the price up here is $22,000 CDN. Just a tad higher than what I'm prepared to pay for a tv.

Cap, no the tv doesn't need calibrating out of the box. When I got the plasma that the LG replaced, I was disappointed with the picture. Had it calibrated and it was like a brand new tv. With the LG, I'm amazed at how good it looks out of the box; so much so that I wonder if I need to have calibrated. That said, I will since otherwise I would always wonder how much better it would be. Will leave it until late September / early October so as to give the tv some break-in time.

Randy - Resistance is futile....

9. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Let us know your calibration results when it's done - just curious.

10. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Congrats on the new Display and Processor. These are fun times!!

11. John mark

John mark Member

Murrayb,
    I also have a AMV 60 and previously owned a D2v 3D. I think the AVM 60 is sonically superior, but the D2 had more bells and whistles. I would give the nod to being sonically better than the bells and whistles.
    Also looking to get a 4K display. The LG is a consideration!

Thanks