1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Disney to Use Facial Recognition to Gauge Audience Reactions to Movies

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Aug 8, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

facialrecognition.jpg

For decades, people have accused studio blockbusters of being soulless examples of art by committee and/or the work of bean-counting robots. While that is obviously an exaggeration of sorts, it may be getting closer to reality than we realize. Studio execs have always tried to hedge their bets with test screenings and market research, but now in the digital age it is becoming easier than ever to track people’s media consumption… just ask Netflix. Now it appears that Disney is looking to extract real-time feedback from moviegoers without them even knowing. Are we looking at a future where every major movie is built directly from big data? Hit the jump for the full scoop.

According to the CBC, Disney Research is currently testing technology that would allow them to track facial expressions in a darkened theatre to determine how audience members react while they watch a movie. They can use this to get a general gauge of how the audience feels about a movie overall, but they can also apparently predict how a specific audience member will react throughout the rest of a movie after tracking them for just a few scenes. This would potentially be a lot more reliable than the standard test screening process, which requires a moviegoer to articulate their opinion afterward.

While there are obviously some privacy concerns with gathering this kind of data, it gets even crazier because they mention that they could change a movie in real time based on the feedback. While I have always been intrigued by interactive storytelling, this strikes me as an entirely new medium and not cinema as we know it. After all, how can you possibly cater to everyone? How can you critique and discuss a movie if everyone has a different experience? Can a filmmaker still have a creative voice if they are forced to create multiple endings and bow to the viewer’s whim? What does a world without challenging or different movies even look like? I’m not sure, but clearly if there is one studio that is looking to create absolutely safe, homogeneous entertainment, it is Disney. How do you feel about Disney’s facial recognition technology?

Disney to Use Facial Recognition to Gauge Audience Reactions to Movies - Film Junk

2. nolan

nolan Member

That's... creepy. It's alarming what comapnies will do to maximize their profit.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I mean, if the audience consents I find it quite brilliant. It has been proven that people are extremely bad at self reporting / describing feelings and experiences. If you can use a computer to see if someone was amused more accurately than asking them... why not? And you'll get granular detail... they were sad during this scene.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

It could backfire. For example if someone farts they could get an expression like this:)
    stinky-fart.jpg

Barry_NJ likes this.