1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Disney to pull all movies from Netflix

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by CJ, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Oh FFS. People have been bitching and moaning and crying for a la cart channels from cable/satellite for decades. Now it's finally materializing and we're going to complain about it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RJ

RJ Member

I wouldn't call what CBS is doing "a la cart". They have a broadcast network, but they are not releasing all their content on it, but forcing you to pay an additional monthly fee to get it.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'm onboard with crappy content dying off that has only survived because it's in a bundle. Oxygen etc should not exist. No one would pay for that crap stand alone.

4. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Well, there's something to be said for art needing patronage, because you wouldn't want only the commercially successful art to survive. But I think the internet will democratize that too. We're already seeing it with YouTube Red etc. The barriers to entry for creating and publishing video content online are dropping fast. And the eyeballs are all moving to the internet. Hopefully the economics will keep improving, even low-budget interesting content will find a way to make enough money to work. And like you said, the crap content will die off.

CJ likes this.
  5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Agree, and without putting words in your mouth, that doesn't really apply to these garbage cable networks that are a combination of garbage original content and syndicated reruns. They're the opposite of art needing patronage, they're a pure commercial play.

The internet should lower the barriers to entry and make producing actual artistic (original, daring, whatever) content easier than the old network system. We're going through some growing pains, that's for sure.

Saurav likes this.
  6. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Perhaps it will spark a resurgance of 'physical media' because there are too many 'subscriptions' needed to see everything?

Barry_NJ likes this.
  7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe... I think some channels are about to find out how much their content is actually worth (in some cases, nothing).

Barry_NJ, RJ and Jason Lorette like this.