1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Disney to pull all movies from Netflix

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by CJ, Aug 8, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Disney to end movie deal with Netflix and start its own streaming services

This is really bad news in my opinion. When cable companies were busy bending us over and sodomizing us sans lube and said "careful what you wish for" this is what they were talking about. TV OTT (over the top, aka streaming video) is going to be so fractured its going to cost MORE than cable when the dust settles. I'm already subscribed to
    • DirecTV NOW
    • HBO
    • HULU
    • Netflix
    • Amazon Prime
    For now, that is still cheaper than cable but if Disney is a la carte at PPV or $15 per month and ESPN is $15 a month now you're back to the $200 bill to watch stuff...

2. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

I agree - bad news. I just have Amazon Prime and Netflix but have more than I can watch between that and my music files. It may get worse if some of the cable companies start to limit streaming too. I think they (cable cos.) just want to get back to give me a couple of hundred a month either way.

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Good thing I don't give a shit about Disney.

4. I'd rather Netflix dropped their entire catalog of movies and TV and focus on their real strength, which is original programming. I keep hearing how in debt they are, stop paying licensing for catalog films we can get 5 other places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Good thing I don't give a shit about netflix

DYohn likes this.
  6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Shit man. This is shit. VPN and Usenet + automation, I'm done paying for cable. Only hitch is CFB. I'll pay for direct TV now as long as the cloud DVR works for games and/or I can use my acct to log into watchESPN for games.

Good thing I don't give a shit?

7. CJ

giphy.gif

Barry_NJ, RJ and DustinDavis like this.
  8. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

I don't know how this will really go over. I don't see many paying for just Disney movies. I'm sure all Disney "channel" TV Everywhere app will be available if you are subbed to a pay TV service and most likely movies on pay TV services. The fracturing will hurt in the long run.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  9. Drew

I feel like this was an inevitability to some degree because of the tech, Disney is just following others like HBO, but they are also dropping agreements with companies like netflix on top of it.

10. CJ

I question whether this is really a move Disney expects to pan out really well financially or just a move to sabotage streaming services. Like they aren't really HURT if this fails but they definitely gain if Netflix hurts.

11. Drew

They certainly have a shit ton of money to burn for the long term gain.

12. RJ

RJ Member

The only Disney made content I watch is Marvel and Star Wars. I have every Star Wars already through Disney Movies Anywhere, and I buy the Marvel movies I'm interested in also at Disney Movies Anywhere.

For me, I doesn't much matter, because I just buy the movie I want from Disney anyway, and can stream it anywhere.

This might matter for people with young kids who want to watch the movies over and over and over again, but then again, I think at that point they would just buy the disc/DMA stream and it would be cheaper than a monthly charge.

I guess it really all depends on what content is apart of their streaming service, and how much it cost.

13. CJ

Yeah, I think honestly this won't impact me now that I think about it more. I've never watched a Disney movie on Netflix. I pretty much already own the ones I want before they hit Netflix.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  14. Drew

Its the principle of the matter!

15. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

Between my Plex/Infuse server, and digital media already owned, there is nothing to be gained from Disney pulling out of any service. Let all these services die and it will save me money as subscribing no longer makes sense. I get looking at new streams of income but this is not well thought out.

16. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

It's not a big deal to me. I probably have not watched many (if any at all) Disney movies on Netflix. I use the service mainly in my bedroom HT which has a 92 inch screen that folds into the ceiling. Most of the time, it is a documentary movie or TV show, an old TV series or an occasional action movie I watch. I haven't even upgraded to 4k Netflix as my 4k TV is in a different room.

17. RJ

RJ Member

Even though it doesn't bother me, you're right, it is bull, lol

Eventually, every network/studio/production company/etc is going to have its own streaming service, and prices are going to be out of control. CBS is a perfect example, where you can only watch the new Star Trek on their CBS all access streaming service and not on the broadcast network at all.

18. CJ

Maybe they're trying to beat out Game of Thrones for most pirated show. But seriously, don't watch it then. I feel bad for the people involved in that show because most likely its already toast if that's how they're doing it.

19. RJ

RJ Member

Agreed. I have no interest whatsoever to pay another monthly fee just to watch one show. Maybe it will flop because others feel the same way, and we'll eventually get it on Netflix or Hulu

20. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I expect prices will come down once every media company has their own service. The thing is, right now it's hard to build a streaming service - people are still working out the tech hurdles, so the early players can charge premium prices, and have dumb rules. Also, in some cases, their hands are tied because of their existing contracts with the cable/satellite companies.

Over time, that will level off as more of the tech becomes available to more of the content creators/owners, so consumers will shift to paying for interesting content, not for what happens to be available. And then maybe over time content owners will realize that they're better off working with a 3rd party service that offers bundled packages. I also expect the companies that just move bits from here to there, instead of actually creating content, will start to become less important.

Disclaimer: I work for AWS, building video streaming tech.