1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Deck Mister

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Mike B, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

It's 98 degrees outside, I built a deck mister;

27890899926_144fcce5c8_z.jpg

Folds down when not in use;

27890900136_1fc8d34743_z.jpg

2. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Too cool ;)

Mike B-TV. I'd watch it...

3. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

and how much cooler did your deck become?

4. Mike B

It's nice when it's real hot out there and the wind is right. You get a little mist and it feels good. If the wind is wrong you don't get anything unless you get up and stand in it.

Even that is good though, sort of an adult version of running thru the sprinklers as a child.

5. Rick C

Rick C Member

Mike where did you get the misting heads. The last few days have been pretty hot here!

6. Mike B

7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Interesting design. All the other ones I've seen pictures of have the heads up high somewhere so the mist drifts over a wide area. Does the mist get up high if you're standing?

8. Mike B

Up high is ideal as the mist has farther to go before it hits the ground, more time for evaporation and thus more cooling and less "wet"

The high pressure (1000 psi) stuff is the best, but it's expensive and you have to have a powered pump and high pressure lines.

This is just a little "easy" to make the outside more comfy and the prevailing breeze usually carries the mist over the deck. Yesterday it was going the other way.

We have the dreaded ridge here now and it was 85 degrees at midnite last night and more of the same for the next 3 to 4 days.

9. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

What if the mist head is bent inwards a bit towards the deck?

10. Mike B

If the wind is blowing the wrong way it wouldn't matter.

11. Carl V

Ever thought about a simple pergola / gazebo out back with your misters mounted inside?
    Home Depot. Lowes, Target etc., sell 'em, inexpensive. Provides shade, keeps the rain off,
    with some simple lights strung inside....you can sip a chilled martini, listen to Jesse Collin Young,
    and chill....jus' sayin'

12. Mike B

I'm going to leave the deck alone, but there may be a gazebo hot tub in the side yard where the pool used to be - :)

13. Rick C

Rick C Member

Mike,

You provided some inspiration to beat the perspiration. Finally got around to making a Diy patio cooler. So far so good

Attached Files:

14. Mike B

A fan mister eh? Yeah they work nice - :)

15. Carl V

Interesting.....

16. Rick C

Rick C Member

Decided to make a change to a smaller compact cooler. Has 3 misting heads and a more powerful fan. Works better than the other one and takes less space.

Attached Files:

17. Mike B

Stage 2, Fan Mister under the eve;

34949644591_8d668c1e73_o.jpg

I'm gonna tear out the "deck mister" from the bench and modify it and put it on the back fence. If the breeze is working it will work there and not water the deck. When the breeze is gone then the fan mister will work the best. And it fits in nice right between the water and power outlets under the eve.

35080366395_b47fa7d430_o.jpg

It's works good too the before is 91;

35080366535_a2fe7ce9be_o.jpg

Down 10 degrees fast;

34949644411_92488c98b3_o.jpg

It got down to 78 eventually but I don't know what ambient was. But it will put a 10 degree chill on right now with not a lot of power and not a lot of water either. Sweet - :)

Barry_NJ likes this.
  18. Rick C

Rick C Member

Nice. I have not fired ours up yet. I may have to replace the heads or clean them.

19. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Great job!

20. Mike B

Thanks!

This one has a booster pump that gets the pressure up a bit around 150 psi. Still not high pressure but you can see the difference in the spray, 2 to 3 X more than just city.

34916532502_22a89beed1_o.jpg

It's nice and clean up there too, nothing to trip over and can be completely disconnected. I can swivel and point it where I want. We don't suffer humidity here, yesterday was 26% and that's why it works so good.