1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Dave Bautista Wrestles With Becoming a Nuanced Character Actor with the Body of a ‘Fucking Gorilla’

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Sep 1, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

A few years ago, Dave Bautista got into an argument with his agent. He wanted to turn the former WWE wrestler into a leading man, but didn’t want Bautista to take a role that required an Eastern European accent.

“I was really excited about it, and my agent hated it,” said Bautista. “When I asked why, he said: ‘Because if you do that, than you’re really just going to get stuck in this rut of being a character actor.’ And I said, ‘But I am a character actor. That’s what I want to be.”

It’s easy to understand where Bautista’s agent was coming from. Bautista’s a recognizable and extremely popular ex-wrestler with a mixed martial arts background and a physically imposing on-screen presence. There was a clear path for Bautista to become an action star. The problem was — that’s not what Bautista wanted.

“I don’t want to look like Dave Bautista there on screen, being the same guy in every role,” said Bautista. “I want to be different characters. I want to be a chameleon, which is not easy for me to do because I’m built like a fucking gorilla.”

dave-bautista.jpg

Dave Bautista Wrestles With Becoming a Nuanced Character Actor with the Body of a ‘Fucking Gorilla’

Barry_NJ likes this.
  2. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Interesting, looking forward to seeing his other projects.