Dave Bautista Wrestles With Becoming a Nuanced Character Actor with the Body of a ‘Fucking Gorilla’

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Sep 1, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member Top Poster

A few years ago, Dave Bautista got into an argument with his agent. He wanted to turn the former WWE wrestler into a leading man, but didn’t want Bautista to take a role that required an Eastern European accent.

“I was really excited about it, and my agent hated it,” said Bautista. “When I asked why, he said: ‘Because if you do that, than you’re really just going to get stuck in this rut of being a character actor.’ And I said, ‘But I am a character actor. That’s what I want to be.”

It’s easy to understand where Bautista’s agent was coming from. Bautista’s a recognizable and extremely popular ex-wrestler with a mixed martial arts background and a physically imposing on-screen presence. There was a clear path for Bautista to become an action star. The problem was — that’s not what Bautista wanted.

“I don’t want to look like Dave Bautista there on screen, being the same guy in every role,” said Bautista. “I want to be different characters. I want to be a chameleon, which is not easy for me to do because I’m built like a fucking gorilla.”

dave-bautista.jpg

Dave Bautista Wrestles With Becoming a Nuanced Character Actor with the Body of a ‘Fucking Gorilla’

Barry_NJ likes this.
  2. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Interesting, looking forward to seeing his other projects.