1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Crashplan for Home Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by DustinDavis, Aug 22, 2017.

1. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Dang it. I've been using Crashplan for many years now. But I got an email today saying they are getting out of personal backup to focus on small business and enterprise. I assume this will get more expensive at some point. Wonder if anyone else has good experience with another provider?

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'm scrambling to assemble my options. I kinda get it and I'm probably the kind of customer that's driving this decision. I have over 7TB of data backed up with them. My problem is multi-faceted.

1. I have a family plan right now which means I only pay $150 a year for 5 computers. If I migrate over to the small business side that will become $600 a year.
    2. My media server is the one with 7TB. Their migration path only allows for backup sets under 5TB to be migrated. Not that they'll migrate 5TB... they'll only migrate sets under 5TB. If you're over they delete everything and you have to start from scratch.
    3. Because of #2, I could be getting a $1,000 bill from COX. My original backup to Crashplan (which was much smaller) took something like 3 months. I'd exceed my data cap by double for multiple months if I started from scratch
    4. I've thought about deleting 2TB+ of my backup set which would allow for a migration but if there are better options I might as well bite the bullet now and not reward CrashPlan.
    5. I don't NEED enterprise level encryption and availability. I just need automation and consumer-level pricing. I've looked at the common cloud providers and I'd be paying $50-$100 a month for backups.

3. DustinDavis

Jeebus. You have some issues that I won't have due to the size of your archive. Crashplan appears to be offering some good pricing ($10 per device per month) for a year after they shut down Home, I take it provided you get under that 5Tb limit for the transition. That would last you until 2019.

Options. Backblaze...doesn't appear to be that friendly to me, you have to tell it what you DON'T want to back up. Carbonite...apparently has poor Mac support vs. Windows, cannot imagine why. There are others. But there is also ample time. Now if you really need several months to get a new provider completely uploaded, then you have less time.

4. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Neither Backblaze nor Carbonite support NAS backup with consumer offerings. Backblaze has a service called B2 for NAS but it is per GB pricing.

I think I found a solution. I'm willing to pay the current small business price for one machine. So I'll move my server over to that and cancel my other computers. For my local machines, I'll just include the sparsebundles in the new CrashPlan backup set. For my remote machines, I'll setup Synology's backup system on my parent's computers and backup to my NAS instead of CrashPlan. I'll then include those files in my backup set. The only kicker will be culling my backup down to 5TB so I can migrate. I can probably do that by just removing some files temporarily. I'd rather re-upload 2TB than 7TB.

I'd rather know sooner than later if this is going to work so I'm probably going to try this tonight. I'll let you know.

5. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I was hoping someone here would be discussing this. Thanks for not disappointing me :) 'm currently backing up 2 computers, I'll have to take a look at what the cost differential is going to be.

6. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

If there's any way to backup your 2nd computer to your first then you could come down to 1 plan. That's what I'm doing. I'll be honest though, I could see Crashplan raising prices or moving to a usage based plan in the future. If my use case is a profitability issue for them I'm still going to be.

7. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

We're backing both to each other, and to the cloud. But that's a good point, I could cascade them.

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I don't think it will happen but some people are upset that they will no longer offer peer to peer backup. That was kind of a unique feature they had. Maybe they could monetize that without having to bear any of the storage costs.

9. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I am sure this has been looked at but what about drop box advanced, lots of storage (any amount you desire) and cross use. Downside, big cost and 3 user minimum. But it has worked for me very very well across PC and Apple platforms combined.

Never mind...too expensive for large backups. I have one TB and its a hundred bucks a year, 2 TB is a bit more etc. One could get several two TB plans but that would suck. I do see I should make mine larger now that I see what is needed. So another plan might be good for me as well.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  10. DustinDavis

I thought Dropbox was file sharing and collaboration. Not backup? So if you delete your files by accident, they're not recoverable.

11. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

They remain accessible in a deleted file on the server and can be restored