1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Camera for a river boat cruise on the Danube

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by GHilinski, Mar 4, 2017.

1. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

3. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Curious to hear/see what you settle upon.
    I have not kept up with Photography....so CJ
    is your go to guy. I have an older model of that
    Coolpix. I no longer want or need to lug around
    SLR...DSLR...old 120/220 based cameras.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I had a Canon S3 superzoom until a few years ago and it took some very nice shots. Not as good as my Pentax DSLR, but still good and far more convenient. It was also a lot less expensive, so if it was damaged or stolen it would not have been a major loss. We took it to Hawai'i a couple of times, as well as Tahoe and a number of other outings. I gave it to my oldest grandson and he's still using it.

FYI, you can get aftermarket lens attachments for these types of cameras. I had a wide angle adapter, a telephoto extender and several filters for the Canon. Filters may be especially helpful for a water based trip.

5. GHilinski

good input. I'm going to look at both.

6. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I would pay a little more for a larger sensor. Everything else is just a feature or size trade off against price. How much zoom do you want, etc. But a larger sensor will produce markedly better photos.

Dan Driscoll likes this.
  7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Ditto

8. GHilinski

what size sensor should i be looking at? My DSLR is a Nikon D70.

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Fir a small camera 1" is about as big as it gets. Most are 1/2.3" which is smaller than a half inch. Otherwise there are a few specialty cameras like the Panasonic LX100 which is Micro Four Thirds but with a fixed lens. Its in the same price range as the Canon G7 but has an even larger sensor.

Amazon.com : Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX100K 4K, Point and Shoot Camera with Leica DC Lens (Black) : Manual Massage Tools : Camera & Photo

I would try to see these all before you buy so you don't end up with something too large.

10. GHilinski

I wanted to stay in the $300 range because I will use it for the trip and probably on the family boat so i don't want to invest too much money for limited use.

11. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

12. GHilinski

Ordered the Nikon! 64mb card after points was $188! Thanks for the input. I think I will pick up a few more cards over time before the trip.

13. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

That's a great deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. GHilinski

So it arrived today. What a cute little bugger! Smaller than I thought it would be. Very light weight, the zoom and focusing is very smooth and fast. The rear display is very clear and bright. The controls are well placed and the menu's are well thought out. I bought one 64mb card but will want to pick up a few more. They are cheap at $20 each. It also has a feature where you can bluetooth pictures to your phone and back.

I'm going to tinker with it some more and maybe give a more detailed review if interested.