Blade Runner 2049 - Oct 2017

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Shane, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

This Cinema has a good sound system.
    It's more of the type of 'music' or Synthesized
    Sound. LOUD atmospheric sound effect. Menacing,
    foreboding, ominous or portentous.

I too do have Ear Plugs I bring to concerts or wear at my office.
    I foolishly forgot them last nite.

I will go see this again soon in a Top Notch DOLBY Atmos Cinema.
    3D is not available at this IMAX or This Dolby Cinema.

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Carl,
    I find that the stuff in IMAX tends to louder then non Imax showings the Dolby Cinema which is that latest and greatest in our AMC is loud like the Imax but for some reason is not as painful..

I usually don't mind loud but some movies have just pulled me like Man of Steel and Batman Vs Superman. They w ere over the top loud.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Yes, it does get loud at times, but perhaps the theater I saw it in wasn't over-driving the system. The 3D was not too heavy. Taking my glasses off I did not see a whole lot of difference, which to me is a good thing. If your best option is 2D I would not feel left out.

Overall I think it's pretty, freakin' good and a worthwhile visit to see in a theater. It does take its time but the backdrops were cool and I could let my eyes wander around the screen. Acting held up, the women are "drop dead...", and the violence avoided being gratuitous.

Denton, Barry_NJ and DYohn like this.
  4. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Absolutely fabulous. Saw it in IMAX 3D, and while IMAX was impressive, 3D didn't do that much. Sound was loud to the point of being distorted (or perhaps it was designed to sound like that, hard to tell, I miss Johan Johansson from his earlier films).
    Probably the best sequel I have ever seen, and I was extremely reluctant when I first read about this. Great acting all around, superb cinematography, set design, and a good story. Didn't think they would pull it off, but they did.
    Can't wait for the blu.

Barry_NJ, jasn and DYohn like this.
  5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Ok saw rhis on Sat. It was a good movie, had some cool twists but it seemed long as hell.

Max

6. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Great movie. Saw it this weekend. I peeked at the clock, but it was never a problem. Glad I saw this one in the theater. LFE was overdriven, and maybe it should have been. IDK. Loved this one.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  7. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Like its predecessor, Blade Runner 2049 is best appreciated by sci-fi fans. And I enjoyed it. I will mention that the LFE turned into rattles and farts in the local AMC theater, the one with generally the best sound in my area. :( My only other complaint regards Harrison Ford's bow legs. Aging leaves no one with their dignity intact. :mad:

DYohn likes this.
  8. Carl V

Bow legs...uh huh? were you that distracted to notice bowed legs?
    Don't ever watch Cathy Bates or Jack Nicholson in the hot tub.

9. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I may have to see this at the cinema by myself. My wife is scared of the 2hr 45 minute run time and wants to wait for Netflix.

10. Carl V

there are many slow sections,
    providing her a few bathroom breaks...
    I assume that's where her anxiety exists.

11. DYohn

Actually it's sciatic nerve pain from sitting too long.

12. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Ouch!

13. Carl V

yikes indeed....I suffer from that as well.
    STANDING kills mine, or casual strolling.
    Running fine, walking briskly fine. Biking Fine,
    Stand at a museum slowly walking and looking at
    art...is painful. Just standing a t a Cocktail party...ugh

14. DYohn

Yea hers is triggered by sitting. She's up and moving every 30-45 minutes normally to prevent it. It took me a while to get used to her being a rabbit around the house and that it didn't mean she was bored or upset. :)

15. jasn

Happy Birthday to me... Had to order this from the UK (or buy used at 2.5X list)

[UGH...sorry for the huge size]

bts0FTH.jpg

Barry_NJ and Denton like this.
  16. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

17. jasn

Wow! The Blade Runner Final Cut UHD bluray is said to be the best on the market right now and I can say it is fabulous! I've been putzing around with my new HT for a few months now and this disk finally brought it all together. Image was remarkable and the Atmos ST didn't leave anything behind.

Find a copy if you can.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  18. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Ok, when I and a date saw the original in the theater, we both left just wondering what it was we'd just seen. Took a while to figure it out, as neither of us had read the "based on" book. And after all this time, I still prefer the Harrison Ford narration version. FF to today, I have to say that 2049 is a stunning piece of filmmaking. It works as a sequel, and if you've not seen the original it can, with some difficulty stand on it's own. Lots of times I complain about some films being too long, and this is certainly one of them, but in this case, it's hard to say where cuts should be made. Instead of whole minutes, maybe a few seconds here or there. Shorter flight scenes perhaps. The CGI guys, and the set dressers were true to the first one, even if over the top a bit. Was very definitely worth seeing in a theater. But if you've not seen the first one, by all means do so before going.
    And the girl who played Joi is damn cute. ;)

19. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member

I finally got to see this yesterday (4k DV iTunes) and unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed. It seemed like an unnecessarily long epilogue to a movie whose ending was best left alone. It was far too impressed with its look and scenes that much too long to play out. The original was a futuristic and visionary film noire that didn't overstay its welcome. This one felt like it ended in 2049. Biggest disappointment of the year.

CJ likes this.
  20. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

Saw this last night at the cheap theater with a couple friends. One was a big fan of the original the other had not seen it. I vaguely remembered it but wasn't sure I'd ever seen it all. I decided to watch the original before I went. I'm sure what I saw part of was the original theatrical release. What I watched all of a couple days ago was the final cut. I watched it on a 40" tv and my phone while rocking a baby over the course of 2 days. The visuals were stunning even watched as I did, especially for a movie like this made in 1982. The sound track was awesome and I really wish my sound proofed theater was finished so I could have gotten a proper experience. I can see how this has become a cult classic. It also amuses me how almost every future prediction movie from the 80s has the computer tech so far behind what we do have and everything else so far ahead. I was not really impressed much with it though. Character development was almost nothing. Stuff just happened. There was no real mystery or tension developed. All it really had was a look/feel and the twist you could interpret at the end that Deckard was a replicant.

The sequel. Wow, blew the original out of the water. The friend who was into the original commented after, this movie was like reading a good novel. Problem being most people don't have the patience to watch a movie paced and shot like that today. The story was told very well, the characters were developed way further than the original. It started a mystery based off the original, built on it, and substantial tension along with it. It was everything the original wanted to be but didn't manage. There were about 2 dozen people at the theater and when it ended everyone just sat in silence for 30 seconds to a minute. Well worth the two and half hours.

CJ, JeffC, jasn and 2 others like this.