Binaural Audio

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jay Brown, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

This is something I never paid attention to until this past weekend. I downloaded an audio sampler from HDtracks.com which contained two Binaural files. I just saw the name Lenny White at first since I listen to a lot of 70s fusion. Youtube has some clips available and its recommended that you use headphones. Apparantly the term Binaural was a sort of marketing term compared to stereo for the recording industry.

I'm pretty sure you guys have better input.

2. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

3. Jay Brown

Yea I had to find my long audio cable for use with my Sennheiser HD600s and connected them to my receiver. I streamed those two Binaural files using the Oppo 203, and also found a few videos on youtube including Winter by Vivalvi, as played by the Fifth House Ensemble. Just hearing the strings was very relaxing. Now I'm more curious about the technical aspects of this style of recording.

4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Do they sound good to you? Cool.

5. Jay Brown

I won't say that it was a different experience than what I'm used to hearing, because I can hear the same type of "separation" in older recordings from the likes of Coltrane and Miles Davis, but to hear more modern music in this manner would be something I'd be interested in listening to, minus all of the modern methods of multi-track recording, mastering and engineering.

Compositions comprised of Orchestral groups where there is more sound from various forms of instruments, and how those instruments play key roles in how a composition is played, how those instruments are separated or grouped as a result of this form of recording has sparked my curiosity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

6. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

The XMAS JAM has a legal 'tapers' area. Most of the guys there use a pair of microphones arranged to mimic the location of a pair of ears with the intention that the recording be listened to on headphones. The resulting tracks sound better to me than soundboard recordings because you experience the sound of the hall. I believe I saw one of these last year...

Binaural-recordings-head-300x300.jpg

7. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member Top Poster

I've played with this a bit over the years but the reality for me is like my treatment of all thinks audiophile, I'm ultimately not interested in good (or in this case unique technique) recordings if it is music I don't enjoy.

DYohn likes this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Lou Reed's Take No Prisoners and Street Hassle albums were both recorded binauraly btw.

9. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Another interesting (to me) recording technique is to use a single, costly microphone called a (Clarec) Ambiosonic Soundfield Microphone. Recorded directly with all instruments and vocalists playing together, many of you may even have an example of this technique if you own a copy of The Cowboy Junkies: The Trinity Sessions.

The sound is pristine with unreal soundfield. Another great recording using a Calrec Mic is from Holly Cole: Girl Talk