1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Basement remodel...

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Andrew Pratt, Aug 21, 2015.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

That is very clever. Nicely done!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

As promised here's some pictures of the screen. It is certainly a budget screen as the fit and finish isn't perfect but for $300 Cdn it is one of the cheapest 'real' screens you can buy up here. It doesn't appear to compromise sound quality which is why I bought this versus alternatives but I did compare the image quality vs a sample of the painted screen I had previously and I wish I hadn't ;) The white levels are much better and the clarity looks better on the painted screen which is to be expected as that was a smooth flat surface vs this material which looks more like regular cloth. If it really bothers me then I could move the speakers to the side wings and the centre below the screen and install a different screen but I'll live with this for awhile before any rash decisions.

The hardest part about this screen was installing it on the wall. There was almost 3/4" of sag in the middle that needed to be stretched out to fit on the wall supports and it was next to impossible to pull the screen down to latch on. After fighting with it last night I gave up and went to bed figuring I'd try again this morning. A good nights sleep helped as I recalled that I have a tool that came with the kids trampoline to help pull the springs on so I used that and it worked like a charm. I'm not sure I'd have managed without that tool.

31S9FzpkYwL._SX300_.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2015
  3. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

good progress.
    AT screen have both +/-
    attributes. Hope your choices
    are both tolerable & enjoyable.

4. Rick C

Rick C Member

Nice job! You are getting it done quickly. I like the grey side wall contrast.

5. Andrew Pratt

All done.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2015
  6. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

That looks great Andrew. Nice and clean install. Excellent.

7. Andrew Pratt

Now it just needs a new chair, rug and ottoman ...and maybe some art ;)

I may need to acoustically treat the rear wall behind the speakers as well although I'm not seeing any bleed through which I wondered I would with the exposed drywall.

8. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Where is the head end equipment? That looks great! Nice work.

9. Andrew Pratt

The gear is located behind the couch in a recessed area from the stairs heading down from the 3rd floor. We live in a 4 level split so non of the stairs are long so its a nice small area that has the AV gear for the theater as well as the "TV" level which you can see in one of the photo's of the side panels.

10. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Around here we call those KC splits. I almost bought one. I really like the layout of those type of houses.

11. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Every time I see one of these I wish I had a basement. Nice job!

12. DYohn

Treat the wall behind the speakers with some Sonex in white. http://www.sonex-online.com/Acoustical Foams.htm#Classic

13. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Do some research before putting tons of treatment on the FRONT wall. Both GIK and Real Traps I think have write-ups explaining why that's not the first area you should put your money into.

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

Geddes deadens his front wall as much as he can. He leaves the rest of the room very live. Adds some defusion, significant bass damping and treats the first reflection points on the ceiling and floor. Granted he uses constant directivity speakers so he doesn't treat the first side wall reflections. Lots of options and hard to know for sure what will work best for you.

15. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Lots of different answers (and preferences). If you have Geddes speakers, I'd look at what the designer has done. If not, you might want to broaden your research, or not.

16. DYohn

Two reasons to treat the front wall in Andrew's setup. First he has created a separate chamber for the speakers behind the screen and the last thing you want is echo or boom because of that. Second, the LEDE theory (live end dead end) of room setup normally treats the front of the room leaving the back live and untreated. This is how I normally set up a theater space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Dustin B

Realistically the only thing not having constant directivity speakers would change with how Geddes would setup a room would be adding side wall first reflection treatments.

http://gedlee.azurewebsites.net/downloads/HT/Home_theater.pdf

His whole home theater book is free online now. A lot of electronics and format details are horribly out of date but the room design and treatment details won't have changed.

18. Andrew Pratt

Images of the electronics and the screen. The gear is modest with an entry level Denon AVR, AppleTV, old DVD player and the HD PVR. The door below the gear leads to the crawl space below the TV level and it acts as one giant closet. The receiver on the left is an old Pioneer that has an AppleTV and PVR attached for the second system (kids mostly) that you see in the last image. That's a Samsung LCD and Energy Encore 5.1 system.

The screen has a few sparkles that I'm not fond of and it is more dull than the painted screen I had previously so it doesn't 'pop'...but the black levels are better and it's obviously acoustically transparent.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
  19. Dustin B

Geddes also swears by plain white cotton 300 thread count bed sheets as the best acoustically transparent screen you can get. At least from an audio perspective. Won't say would be the best picture wise but it won't add any sparkles.

Will say I never guessed it was a bed sheet when I saw his theater. Found out after.

20. Andrew Pratt

Still not a fan of the sparkles and I'm going to install another set of the Boston speakers for rear surrounds as I'm not happy with the in ceilings but over all I love the front false wall.