1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Audiophile test

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Phil A, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Seven yes, I guess I am.

3. Phil A

I scored 7 as well. Not a headphone listener and I got rid of vinyl over 30 years ago. Not that early digital was nearly as good, it was just that lots of my albums were played on crappy equipment and not in super shape and I had 3-40 pristine audiophile albums like Mobile Fidelity, Sheffield Labs, etc. I had separates way back then but to make a leap in vinyl playback quality (e.g. phono preamp built into preamps) it was going to take money and with the amount of albums I had in pristine condition, I decided to part ways. Up until about 15 years ago, I'd always be tempted to get back in now and then but that happened less and less as digital got better and I had enough trouble finding storage space for discs, which is what pushed me into file playback. I've been into people's house with wonderful vinyl playback but many more with so-so to not all that great (although the people who owned it thought it was).

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

3... Headphones more than $100, speakers have a place of pride (though not in my living room but I think positioned for acoustics over aesthetics qualifies) and pay attention to acoustics of a room. The rest were all no for me.

This doesn't surprise me. I'm way more of a movie guy than music to start with, and I've never gotten into the audio neurosis.

5. Rick C

Rick C Member

I like my music but scored a 2 so no audiophile! I am about 50/50 on music vs movies. I try and keep it simple and enjoyable

6. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

If I go by time spent in front of the system I'm probably 95/5 in favor of movies. That's why I'm always second guessing when I spend money on the audio side.

7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Scored a 3. So not an audiophile by those questions. But most of them were nonsense.

8. Phil A

I started out as much more HT vs music. When I moved to Northern VA towards the latter part of 1996, I became friendly with someone who worked part time (basically Thursday night and Saturdays and deliveries/installs some other days too) at a high end shop. For about a 6 year period (probably from late 1997 forward), I basically did all the deliveries/installs with my friend. My friend was more of a sales guy anyway (sold commerical cable services full time). Learned tons about equipment and rooms (much of it the hard way). Upgraded equipment over time but found that for music it just couldn't compare to much of the stuff I heard. Unfortunately the article link here doesn't work - Washington Post article "Sound Crazy" on audiophiles . . . but back in 2001 was over a guys house who had $140k into his two channel system (and I've been in houses with more than that) and the Washington Post did an article. At that period in time, we actually had the same speakers (Thiels CS 7.2s). He owned Levinson electronics and I had the scaled down Proceed line (still not cheap but nowhere close in cost (Levinson 33H monoblocks from memory were about $20k/pair and I remember setting up a pair of those somewhere else and they came in their own crate and I believe with the crate weighed 220 lbs. each). I guess I found that I can do great 2-channel and also do wonderful HT (although not as good as a dedicated room built for and designed for HT - have seen custom installers stuff where the construction and equipment makes that $140k look like pocket change).

9. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Nope, and I'm proud of it!

10. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

genuine dyed in the wool

11. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

The link is blocked for me due to malware on the site.

12. Phil A

"
    1. Do you own a pair of headphones worth more than $200?
    2. Do you subscribe to Tidal for the high-fidelity sound?
    3. Do you believe expensive cables actually make a difference?
    4. Do you still buy vinyl?
    5. Do you pay attention to the acoustics of a room?
    6. Do you care more about the audio quality than the actual music?
    7. Do your speakers have pride of place in your living room?
    8. Do you know the definition of “slew rate”?
    9. Do you spend hours discussing bitrates with your friends?
    10. Do you own any import albums only released in another country?

How Many Questions Did You Answer “Yes” To?
    So, how many questions did you answer in the affirmative? Keep that number in mind, as here is our official breakdown of the scores designed to determine whether or not you’re an audiophile:

0: You’re the opposite of an audiophile – an audio philistine, if you will. Your music collection probably consists of Avicii remixes of Justin Bieber hits.

1-4: You’re a typical music lover. You enjoy spending money on occasional big-ticket music items and are happy to make a few sacrifices to maximize your enjoyment, but you’re not willing to take it to extremes. Justin Bieber doesn’t feature in your library, although Avicii might.

5-7: You’re an audiophile. You’ve built up an impressive library of songs and are always on the lookout for the best equipment through which to enjoy it. You think Justin Bieber is a singer, but you’re not 100 percent certain.

8-10: You’re the embodiment of an audiophile. Music producers call you up for your opinion and you get free hardware samples from the industry’s finest manufacturers dropping through your letterbox on a weekly basis. You have never heard of Justin Bieber… you lucky so-and-so."

13. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

6. If Tidal subscription makes one an audiophile then the definition of the term has lost its meaning.

14. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I think its applicable in context. There are many streaming services and they are very popular today (probably economically surpassing music purchases in total). So if you picked Tidal and chose the lossless option, that's the equivalent of buying the SACD in today's world. I don't think its as much about Tidal being audiophile, so much as the action of picking Tidal lossless over say, Spotify, is something an Audiophile would do.

15. Phil A

I agree. Some of the questions are just stupid. I don't have Tidal as I have a bit under 50,000 songs and definitely have not gotten to listen to all of them. Things just pop up (not related to audio) and then there are sales and I'll buy some and digitize them (probably will buy more if HDTracks has a good July 4 sale). Then I've changed music server platforms and am still catching up with learning/tweaking things and non audio things.

I would put question in there like do you do cable and/or equipment comparisons on a regular basis (which several of us do all the time - probably going over someone's house within a couple of weeks to help him with a DAC firmware update and do more of it). One reason I never get to new music is that lots of times I may do a littler tweak and then listen to about 15-20 go to cuts on a few of my systems to see how they sound. I would put that up there. I've been in many people homes over the years who have silly expensive (makes me look like I don't care about audio - like $85k list speakers) who only own 100-200 albums and listen and obsess over the same stuff over and over (makes me look less neurotic;)), although I think that is what they are more or less asking in question 6.

As I noted above, I delivered/installed lots of systems. One of those was to a guy who literally lived about a half mile from me when I lived in VA. I wasn't there when he bought his system (he probably owned less than 50 CDs). He came into the store apparently asking about SACD and the owner did not want to carry a $1k CD/SACD from a particular brand since another brand had $2k and $4k CD players which he liked to sell. He of course got sold the $4k CD player (which I did not think was all that great particularly as a match with other brands) and also $4k in cables (also a brand I did not think much of as after hours I would bring in the stuff I made). I downloaded the manual to the $1k player which I decided would not work in my system the way I wanted (no level controls in multi-channel and I had a pre/pro with no level controls) and gave it to my friends who worked in the store and suggested for $600 at their accommodation sale rate it was probably worth it as a 2-channel player. One of them brought his personal player into the store one Saturday when the owner wasn't there and sold 3 of them. The guy who lived close to me almost flipped out on them (he couldn't afford the system he bought) and they let him borrow the $1k player and he came home when the store was closed and called me to borrow 3 sets of identical cables for multi-channel and I gave him some stuff I made but never dressed up like store bought cables (and many things out there are like that - presentation). Unknown to me (and I found out when he called me the next day), he compared them to his store bought cables and mine blew them out of the water. He had done me a favor and when he asked what I'd charge him for a pair of interconnects, I told him I would just charge him materials and he almost flipped out again when I told him it was $35/pair.

I've seen so many people walk into stores where they have a review or rating from a magazine and trust that vs. their own ears (as if the review is not influenced by the fact that it is a paid advertiser to the magazine and I have a friend who is a reviewer too and has done a bunch for the Absolute Sound, among others so I do know what goes on). I've seen people buy more expensive stuff without consideration as to what would work better in their room. At the end of the day some of the industry practices and factors with the economy and the internet have come back to bite many of the stores (and for many I don't have sympathy). It has resulted in companies like Schiit, Emotiva, Odyssey Audio, Salk, Philharmonic Audio (Dennis Murphy does Salk's crossover work) and a whole host of others that offer outstanding values selling direct to customers.

DYohn likes this.
  16. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

borderline

17. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I said yes to 5 (1, 5, 7, 8 & 10) and it would have been 6, if #9 had been worded to include the past. I don't really consider myself an audiophile, rather more a music enthusiast.

1. Yes, but I bought them on sale after they had been discontinued, so paid less than $100.

2. No, I'm not even familiar with the service.

3. No, I don't believe expensive cables make a difference. However, I do believe quality cables do. Note that quality is not directly proportional or in some cases not even related to expense.

4. No, I got out of vinyl 10+ years ago. Sold my TT and many of my albums to Arty, in fact. :(

5. Yes, and I can attest from professional and personal experience that it does make a difference.

6. This was questionable. I have stopped listening to some music because the recording quality is so poor. Kansas' Live - Two For The Show', is a perfect example. The vinyl release in the '70's was excellent, but the original CD in the early '80'srelease was a disaster. The record company used the same equalization for the CD that was used for the original vinyl release and as a result, the CD sounded terrible. A re-mastered version was eventually released on CD with the correct equalization and it sounds wonderful. I still consider it to be the best sounding live recording I have ever heard.

There were a number of other releases like that in the early days of CD. But in most cases what I'm trying to achieve is to hear the music the way the artist wanted it heard. So I don't try to make a studio recording sound like a live show, because that is not only impossible, it is generally not what the artist intended. By the same token, I don't try to make live recordings sound like studio releases.

7. Yes, because usage and living constraints require it, not esthetics. My main speakers are Vandersteen 2C's, there is nothing 'esthetic' about them.

8. Yes, but because I have worked in the defense and tech industries for more than 30 years, specifically RF & analog systems. I knew what slew rate was long before it became a selling point for audio equipment manufacturers.

9. No, or more accurately, not anymore. But I use to here, on HTT and other boards. But I argued that all else being equal or at least comparable, sample rate was more important than bitrate.

10. Yes, I use to own several Japanese, British and West German only releases on vinyl and I still own several non-US CD releases. My West German CD release of Tears For Fears "The Hurting" probably gets the most playing time.

Phil Rose likes this.
  18. Phil A

Always liked Vandersteen 2Cs. Almost bought a pair many moons ago. I am not one to care tons of what a speaker looks like as long as it sounds good. I've owned many different speakers.

19. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Not a Tidal subscriber. I buy my music. CCs and Hi Rez files.