1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Apple Puter Users. What is the usual .............

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by claud, Jun 27, 2017.

1. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

life of an Apple computer. Not talking about hardware reliability. I would consider an Apple computer dead when it can no longer handle (be upgraded to) the latest operating system.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

A very long time. I've still got family members using macbook's that are too old to be upgraded to the latest OS. Add a SSD drive and they're still plenty fast enough for most needs.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

6-10 years IMO. I have a 2011 iMac and it still meets my needs and I'm a power user. Still supports the latest OS too.

4. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

My first one, a lime green G3 was six when it was rendered obsolete when browser security updates stopped being written for it. It crashed almost daily anyway.
    My second one, a flat panel G5 was six when the power supply took itself and the mother board out.
    This one (Intel based) is now six and still going, I just upgraded the memory from 4 gigs to 16 gigs. It does seem faster and I get fewer spinning beach balls now. Thanks for the tip on that Claud. But it's been recommended that I have the hard drive replaced as it's likely nearing the end of it's service life. That will have to be done by a pro at this stuff.

5. claud

Thank you guys for your input. I have been using an Apple Mac Book Air at my beach cottage and the last OS upgrade to Sierra made me wonder if it was going to make the next one. It is a mid 2011 one I bought refurbished from Apple. Yesterday I purchased a new iMac for the beach cottage. I'll post pics when it arrives next month. I sold the Air to my wife's cousin for $300.

6. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I'm currently in a holding pattern. I want to replace my iMac with a headless Mac Mini so I can turn my den desk into a shared workstation area. That will be the iTunes server. Then I'll buy a MacBook Pro as my main computer and hand-me-down my 2011 MacBook Air for the kids to use for school. Problem is, the Mac Mini is using a THREE GENERATION old CPU and is still selling at nearly the same price it was released 980 days ago! Apple seems to indicate that it is NOT killing the Mac Mini but I think selling the current model as a new computer borders on criminal.

7. claud

My Mini is a mid 2011 too. It is a Maxed out one with 2.7 GHz Intel i7 chip and now 16GB of RAM. Hard drive is 256 GB SSD and 750 GB 7200 RPM regular HD. This one should do for a few years more. The beach puter was the first of two big purchases for this year. The other is HT related--coming in Nov or Dec.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  8. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

2013 macbook pro running just fine but it does heat a little. I also have an ancient g5 for iTunes which I want to replace.

CJ, i almost pulled the trigger on the mini a couple of times but was always a bit put off by the older hardware. By the time you add a nice monitor, DVD burner, wireless keyboard and mouse, you are within spitting distance of the 21.5 inch desktop with the faster processor. I'm going to hold off to see what they come up with. I would love to get the 27 inch desktop which is really nice at the store.

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

After getting fired up typing that I think I actually came to a solution. I'm going to retire (sell) the 2011 iMac and move the Air to my utility room to run headless (I need an always on "server"). If a Mini comes out I might swap it out to allow my kids to have access to the Air for homework, but this gets me a new main machine without having to buy two right now.

10. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

Don't you have a Synology? What about running iTunes server on your Diskstation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Apple discontinued support for iTunes on appliances years ago. If anyone claims to support iTunes, it usually just means an Apple compatible music server app. There's no way to stream movies directly from a NAS to an Apple TV any longer and hasn't been for a while.

12. claud

Apple just revamped the iMac line this month which prompted me to order the 4K 21.5" iMac for the beach. After a while, you get tired of a 13" screen and use your iPad more. The bigger monitor at home does the opposite.

13. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I would be slightly more willing to buy another iMac if Apple hadn't killed off target display mode (where you could hook a laptop up to an iMac and just use the screen). I need a desktop now, not an all-in-one.

14. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

Plex is working quite well for me.

15. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Tried it, hated it.

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

Plex works beautifully though if you really hate it try VLC or some of the other apps on the AppleTV that can stream from a network share.

17. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

FWIW - I've had a few revelations WRT Plex and ATV4. It seems to work better with MKV vs. M4V files. For example, movies that span multiple disks refuse to play the next disk as M4V files. Also, subtitles don't work with M4V but that may be user error with Handbrake encode settings. Looks like I get the opportunity to re-rip my library. ☹️ At least I can keep the M4Vs for mobile devices since they are compact.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017