1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Apple is stunning and brave

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Drew, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I mean courageous.

1gothmmcr5kx.png

2. Drew

Not to mention $160. Or a likely $20 adapter if you want to charge at the same time

Hopefully their batteries won't explode though

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

The most expensive crappy sound on the market!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

The only thing interesting is if their new wireless chip solves all the Bluetooth connection problems all the other wireless ear buds have. Other than that these look terrible.

5. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

They kind of look like ear dildo's. Will go over with millennials who prefer to have crappy earphones, default on student loans and live at mom's house until they are 40. Although, I have to tell you, the geek fest in our building are usually sporting these huge AKG headphones attached to their iPhones now. Radio waves from planet zecktron?

As far as the watch goes, Still ugly, still stupid and oooh...it is water resistant. I guess what I find totally annoying is the person at work who has two iPhones, personal and company, an iPad a laptop and an Iwatch who cannot figure out what to check next. Ask them a question....huh? sorry I was checking all of my gadget shit.

6. Drew

7. Drew

Apple hates wires so much they've introduced wireless charging. Oh wait....

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

So much angst in this thread

9. Drew

Valid criticism + good 'ol fationed Apple hating. I imagine Apple will see a dip sales, though nothing will stop the die hards from getting the 7 so it will be interesting. The phone aside there's not a small amount of strong dislike for iTunes, and the app just keeps getting worse.

The iPhone 6 blows away everything and the iphone 7 will simply just be faster. Qualcomm needs to get their shit together, though the OS plays a huge part.

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I had a chuckle reading these comments too Shane. I think the AirPod physical design is a bit funky but the technology in them, as described, is pretty cool. If you don't like them, don't buy them. You can't win with the haters. Regarding the watch, I had held off partly because of the hardware and partly because I wanted the app ecosystem to mature. Apple is now the #2 watch brand behind Rolex. Not smart watch... WATCH.

It's en vogue to make fun of Apple, that's fine. You know when the meme sites replace their dumbass Harambe memes with dumbass Apple memes for a day you've made it to the big league. Apparently its also en vogue to beat something that's not that funny to death now :)

Editing due to Drew's response. iTunes is easily my least favorite Apple product. It has gone from bad to worse. But, the flip side is, it doesn't impact me really. As long as its up and running to serve my Apple TVs I don't really use it. Apple Music has been great and I believe there are further enhancements coming there too.

Regarding removal of the headphone jack, there is now no uncontrolled analog output on the iPhone. You can adapt to a headphone jack obviously but its still through lightning. I know music piracy is not as big a hot topic with streaming services now but I'm curious if there is any possible tie to a music industry concession to get high rez audio finally.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
  11. Drew

It's the trifecta of time honored traditions. Hating Apple. Dismissive Apple lovers. And Apple telling everyone their wrong/ doing it wrong/you don't need that.

Apple made it big league a long time ago. They defined what a smart phone is and pulled the industry along with and a largely doing it better than anyone, but they still have their missteps like any company. A lot of it still comes down to personal preference. Some people can't/won't leave Apple. Same for android.

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I plan to use my iPhone 7 (which my company will issue in October) the same way I use my iPhone 6 now. So the crappy earbuds will have to plug into the Lightning port instead of a headphone jack when my BT headset is charging. Big deal. And when I'm traveling and using my iPhone for music on the plane, I use an external DAC/headphone amp that plugs into Lightning now, so no change there either. I look forward to the faster processor and better screen. But will I buy their wireless Beats crap? No, just like I wouldn't buy Beats crap today. :)

13. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I probably won't buy the AirPods. I'm hoping the connection technology isn't walled off but if it is, NBD. I already use BT headphones exclusively with my mobile devices.

On the watch front, something else I've observed is even prior to the 2nd gen (which isn't out yet) more people I know who bought one recently really like it. This is opposed to several people I knew who bought one at launch and actually returned it. This sort of confirms my theory that it wasn't really the watch that was bad, it was the software.

14. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I think Apple does actually drive a lot of change in the industry and hasten the demise of legacy technologies. If people want to frame that as a negative, so be it, but I think its actually a positive. You can dismiss me as a "fanboy" if you want but frankly, Apple still gets copied a lot. So even Android and Windows users can say thanks. Also, there are some annoying/delusional Apple fans that think Apple "invented" all this stuff, but more often than not, these fans are just strawmen that Apple haters set up. Apple makes things mainstream or makes them table stakes. And they still do integration better than most. They don't have the market cornered and I'm not claiming that (though I'm sure someone will make a response that twists my words claiming that they're the only ones innovating).

Android phones and OS have some cool features that I sometimes wish iPhones did, but generally its more of a nice to have. I'm happy the 7 is water proof but I've personally never water damaged a phone and I bet most of you haven't either. I wish there was a micro SD card slot but frankly, in the last four years I've had to free up space on my phone 3 times. On the flip side, I love Lightning because micro USB is fucking horrendous. I wish the phone had inductive charging but my phone has NEVER died on me. That's not an exaggeration. My phone iPhone has never ever ever run out of battery before I go to bed at night. Sometimes I pop it on a dock at my desk but even when I travel for work or am out and around on the weekend, it just doesn't die. So, meh.

15. Drew

I'm talking about things like Google maps and the bumper fiasco and call issues.

Apple also copies a lot as well. They can and do provide improvements, but catch a lot of flack for "you made this? I made this" sort of thing.

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Bumper "fiasco"? LOL.

17. Drew

"You're just holding it wrong". And they came up with curved phones before it was cool ;)

I dont see Samsung telling customers they're charging their phones incorrectly.

18. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Maybe it explodes because their hack to cheat performance benchmarks accidentally engages. ;)

Large companies that have done dumb things. Meh.

19. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I think calling deleting the headphone jack courageous is highly douchey for sure. But Samsung execs probably say stupid stuff at product launches too but we don't hear it because no one gives a shit.

I have CNBC on in full view of my desk 5 days a week for the last 4 years. I've never seen them dedicate a whole day of coverage to the new Galaxy phone... no one cares.

20. Drew

Which would be hilarious if true.