1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Aperion Verus Grand Center Channel

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Mike B, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My plan of not using a center channel just changed. I tried it and didn't like it. The dialog suffers with just a little off axis from dead center sweet and for me the dialog is the most important part of the movie.

So after a little internet surfing I ordered up one of these;

Verus Grand Center Black.jpg

https://www.aperionaudio.com/verus-grand-center-channel-speaker-2

In gloss black of course to match the Mundorfs. Is supposed to be musical sounding and very clear. It's going to sound a little different than the Mundorfs of course, but so will the existing LCC. Same W T/M W design as the LCC which has served me well for a lot of years. And it just looks stunning!

On sale and I'm a sucker for a good sale - :)

2. Mike B

It arrived an hour ago. Pretty fast, shipped Monday, here today. Portland is pretty close. Packed very well;

21982950958_06877a4a85_o.jpg

Very pretty;

21983875639_8d4e4c2c08_o.jpg

Very curvy and sexy looking eh? Yes it does have a grill to "doggy proof" it;

21547960114_a4206f0917_o.jpg

The only flat surface on the entire speak;

22180993661_0754eaf06f_o.jpg

Mikey likes it! After lunch I'll hook it up and report how it sounds.

3. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

That is pretty cool Mike, I hope you enjoy the heck out of it. I will look for findings from you. :)

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Sexy. One cannot exaggerate how critical the center channel speaker is. I've had a great one, a couple good ones and some bad ones. My current Klipsch one is actually pretty good. My old Gallo one was excellent. I'm excited about my new CC as well.

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

This has been my mantra for many years.

6. Mike B

That's the whole reason I bought it, testing showed it was needed. And it had some big shoes to fill indeed;

21554811623_de59033ec7_o.jpg

The Adire LCC is a real piece of work. To tell the truth I was a bit concerned that the Verus Grand would fall short. But it held up fine;

21553073874_cca375255e_o.jpg

The sound is very nice, voices are clear and the tone is excellent, "musical" would fit well. Moving around the room showed clear dialog at any position. In other words the audition is over, I'm not sending it back - :)

These have the same -3dB @ 50 Hz rating as the Mundorfs, so that bodes well too.

That Tang Band 8 incher just did not work in that spot, but this does just as good (actually a little better me thinks, a little clearer-purer if you will) as the LCC. It's very good right now w/o any break in time at all. Well it's been on 30 minutes so far.

Imma gonna cook it all night long - :)

Straight on, no grill;

21983876109_4388b71bf0_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  7. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

That's a beauty!! I'm due for an upgrade...

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

Looks great! Aperion makes some quality stuff.

9. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

One cannot exaggerate how critical the center channel speaker is.

Yup :2tu:

10. Mike B

If you have a nice center why not show it off? No more hiding behind that cloth grille!

36114107870_a0c1fab46b_o.jpg

5 mm birch ply stained ebony and finished with satin poly. Raised up and angled up too;

36114107690_6d9a7f8b99_o.jpg

Sounds better too, even more clarity and definition - :)

11. RJ

RJ Member

I really like that! Looks good, and I like the built in tilt you put in it.