1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Roku's Xfinity Stream Beta?

Discussion in 'TV Land' started by jasn, Jul 18, 2017.

1. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I'm a new Xfinity user for the new house. In our MBR the builder did not install a coax outlet, thinking he was much smarter to just coil the wire mid-way high through the wall studs so I could find it and with an included AC feed to wall-mount a screen. Kinda too smart for his own good, IMO. What PITA. I have too much other crap going on than to make this happen. [rantoff]

So.. I came across this newly-released Roku channel called "Xfinity Stream Beta" that will let you in-home stream your Xfinity TV just like it is connected to a cable box. I can watch Live TV; On Demand and even watch my DVR, all in HD. I already had the ROku box and I've only spent a little time with it (see last sentance above) but so far it is THE Shit. Only drawback is having to use the Roku remote, which is more than a little clunky, but I think using my Roku phone app will make it easier.

Xtra-added bonus? It's free, so I can avoid the $10/month charge for the Xfinity box. I plan to buy a Roku stick for another TV in a guest bedroom and save even more $$.

Anyone else try this? Just wanting to pass along good info...

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

It won't help me but I have a friend with Xfinity that has a Roku who would really like this. He doesn't need the Roku in his main system and he moved it to the Guest bedroom so there would be something to watch in there. I am sure once I tell him about this it will happen with a quickness.

It also means when I visit I will have a full slew of channels in the room I sleep in. :p

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Sounds interesting; I wonder if other cable providers will become available thru Roku?

Do you have a Harmony remote you can map the Roku to?

4. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I do have a Harmony Dan, thanks for the suggestion. Will report back if it goes well.

5. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Jim, my Harmony One works great with the Roku. The codes are in the Logitech software.